Potential SMAPPEE buyer

Posted on
Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:46 am
siclark offline

Potential SMAPPEE buyer

I have just come across this, having been thinking for a long time about how to best monitor my energy, and this could be cost effective vs buying zwave devices for sockets and relays etc to monitor more applicances.

I am guessing from the fact this has been written, and that I dont see major complaints of the device even from @durosity, that it works well. Do people use it to monitor appliances, or just overall energy.

I also am interested in the gas as well. Would I see spikes in use etc when the boiler kicks in, is it that real time? That would be awesome.
Last edited by siclark on Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:01 am
durosity offline

Re: Potential SMAPPEE buyer

I’ve not had much luck with individual devices with my Smappee.. seems pretty hit and miss at actually detecting individual items in my case. Seems very accurate in detecting overall usage though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:42 am
autolog offline

Yes it does monitor gas.

It isn't quite real-time. The data from the Smappee gets uploaded to the Smappee servers every 5 minutes and the Smappee plugin pulls the data back every 5 minutes. So depending on the timing, it could be out-of-date by ~5 minutes ± :)

Some appliances it can monitor quite well (eg. things with motors/pumps) and some others not so well.

Here is an example of one of my Smappee Control Pages:

smappee_control_page.png
Smappee Control Page Example
smappee_control_page.png (109.14 KiB) Viewed 2509 times

Posted on
Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:56 am
siclark offline

Cheers... guess the main things I would like are the ovens and hob, fridge/freezer and washer and drier. Wonder how well it would perform with electric underfloor heating with a very definite large energy draw, although for now have them captured with masquerade devices.

So with a 5 min lag on gas do you just get energy per 5 mins and could still for instance plot that vs time that boiler is on for?

I already have an aeotec electric meter clamp so only really worth upgrading to capture use by appliances, and possibly gas.

Posted on
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:06 am
autolog offline

Yes it's energy per 5 minutes and yes you could plot i, I guess.

The gas (showing zero) above would have a figure like 1, 2 or 3 etc if the boiler was on and using gas. :)

Page 1 of 1