Moving from Vera to Indigo

Posted on
Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:09 am
aldera offline

Moving from Vera to Indigo

Hello,

I've been considering moving to Indigo for a while but I have Kwikset locks and I didn't really want to switch without built-in support. I know there is a Vera Bridge plugin that will allow Indigo to control the locks. I've been scouring the forum and it seems that it works okay but there is a noticeable lag from when you request the lock to open/close and you get a status change. I've also been seeing that the owners have been making somewhat subtle hints that the upgrade to Indigo 7 will supposedly provide built-in support for these locks. I suppose I can make the plunge and get Indigo 6 and work temporarily with the Vera Bridge.

I have one question that I hope Matt/Jay can answer. I saw somewhere in one of the forums that Matt or Jay posted something around September of last year to the effect that if you purchased a current copy of Indigo 6 now, you would get a free upgrade to Indigo 7. Is that still true? If so, it would certainly make my decision much easier. Thanks.

Ralph

Posted on
Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:52 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Moving from Vera to Indigo

Correct - all purchases since late November of last year are eligible for a free upgrade to Indigo 7 when it ships.

The Vera Bridge plugin works very well (if not a little slow) for controlling locks and since you already have the Vera it's a no brainer for you. The slowness isn't a problem with the plugin but rather with the Vera - it's just quite slow when using it's API to communicate with it.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:03 pm
aldera offline

Thanks. I think I'll make the plunge!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:17 pm
DaveL17 offline

Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:38 pm
citysnaps offline

aldera wrote:
Thanks. I think I'll make the plunge!
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jump in, the water's great!

A couple years ago at a different house I had setup a VeraLite-based system. Switches, motion sensors, dimmers, a couple locks, and a couple cameras.

Recently went with Indigo and it has been a MUCH better experience! Indigo is already quite deep, is easily extensible, and the support is excellent. You can get a system going fast with no hassle. It also integrates well with SecuritySpy, a really nice IP camera interface and controller. Indigo Touch, which runs on iOS devices i.e. easily customizable and works well. Runs on my iPhone and iPad. Overall I'm really pleased.

Brad
Urban photoblog: www.citysnaps.net

Posted on
Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:34 am
aldera offline

Thanks for the welcomes!

I have two more questions. I just ordered the Aeon Labs Z-Stick Gen 5 and should get it tomorrow.

1. I've been reading that the Stick works better (better antenna reception?) if it is plugged in so that it is oriented in a vertical position. Anyone have any experience with that?

2. I have a Mac Mini and a powered USB hub. Should it matter whether or not I plug it directly into the Mac Mini or the powered hub?

Thanks for any info. Can't wait to get started!

Ralph

Posted on
Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:57 am
DaveL17 offline

I have an earlier version in a powered hub and it works great. It's oriented at about a 45° angle.

Whether they'll work in a hub is apparently hub-specific unfortunately.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:06 am
aldera offline

DaveL17 wrote:
I have an earlier version in a powered hub and it works great. It's oriented at about a 45° angle.

Whether they'll work in a hub is apparently hub-specific unfortunately.

Thanks. I guess I'll find out shortly. Just waiting for the UPS guy to show up.

Page 1 of 1