Indigo ServerDifferent user different control pages

Posted on
Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:43 pm
falcon77 offline

Indigo ServerDifferent user different control pages

HI Folks, :D

I was planning to create different users that could access different control pages from the ios application so that, i.e. my son could be able to do certain things but not having acces to other.

After 18 years of Indigo Domotics usage I realised that there is not (apparently) a multiuser environment, or maybe there is one but I am to dumb to see it, I would be glad to be dumb :D.

Any suggestions?

TIA,

/frank

Posted on
Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:05 pm
whmoorejr offline

Re: Indigo ServerDifferent user different control pages

As far as I know, no. To accomplish this in the past, I used a web based client to control the content on the screen of a device so it would be specific to that device. I did this with a Kiosk app. Since then, screentime has gotten more advanced. Presumably, you could use screentime to restrict your kid's web access to only allow certain web pages. Then just add the "kid" pages to the approved list of websites.... So even if you have a button on a control page that links to a non-kid page, screentime won't let it open. To make it easier on them, create a link on their homescreen to go directly to the kid page. The downside, I believe they will be prompted from time-to-time to enter your indigo user name and password.

Bill
My Plugin: My People

Posted on
Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:24 pm
falcon77 offline

Thanks whmoorejr,

Yes, what you suggest can be done... but it means circumnavigating the obstacle, fair approach ;).

I was wondering if there was a "native" mechanism that would allow that, it sounds so simple to implement..

Thanks,

/francesco

Posted on
Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:40 pm
whmoorejr offline

I also attempted to use tablets for a while for my kids. On the upside, Domopad is a great interface that has so many more options than IndigoTouch.
Downside #1:Domopad is better for you or I, worse for kids.... you have the ability to do a lot more damage as you can access more parts of indigo than the touch app.
Downside #2: I was using Amazon tablets.... they added a button to the home screen of the devices that gives the user access to all your home automation stuff that you have controllable via the alexa plugin. Sounds neat, but you cant remove it and it isn't under parental control options.... so always there. I did not want my kids flicking lights on/off in my bedroom, so the fire tablets were returned. back to iOS.

From the domopad forum, this very topic was discussed. https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=25741 (I checked to see if that was an option on that platform, spoiler alert... no).

So, yeah, a workaround hack circumvention will more than likely be the approach.

Bill

Posted on
Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:57 am
falcon77 offline

Thanks whmoorejr, will use the hackk ;)

Posted on
Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:01 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Another option if you are using iOS is to create shortcuts on the other user's devices that are single-purpose. It can become cumbersome if you need to provide a lot of control options, but if it's restricted to just a few things then it might not be too difficult (note it can control devices directly or execute action groups, so the latter is good for scenes, etc).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:32 pm
ryanbuckner offline

I've never used it but maybe the Control Page Keypad Plugin could help here

Posted on
Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:12 pm
whmoorejr offline

ryanbuckner wrote:
I've never used it but maybe the Control Page Keypad Plugin could help here
Promising, but I wouldn't bank on it being updated when we switch to Python3. It's too bad, the colorado 4wheeler guy came out with some pretty great plugins.

Bill

Page 1 of 1