Finally Ready to Start

Posted on
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:19 pm
dlindey offline

Finally Ready to Start

I'm finally ready start my home automation journey. I've owned Indigo for a couple of years now, installed it on an unused older iMac and installed 2 Wave dimmer switches in my kitchen. I have set up the 2 devices and can manually turn them off and on from the application. This is hardly a complicated use case for the experienced but I am just starting out and quite frankly am lost. I apologize for the inexperienced post in advance but I'm sure here are many other members who had to start somewhere aa I am attempting.

To start my journey I was thinking that a practical starting point would be to install a Zwave motion sensor as a device and somehow set up a simple situation where the kitchen lights would tun on when someone enters the kitchen. A second progression would be to turn the kitchen lights off after some duration when a person leaves the kitchen. I'm thinking a third progression may be to only turn the lights on in he kitchen only if they are deemed necessary depending on the ambient light level in the kitchen when a person enters the kitchen in the first place.

Could any of the fine members f this forum point a lost sole in the right direction to start this journey? Any recommendations on the hardware I should consider? I'm certain that this simple scenario will "turn the lights on" to further development of my Home Automation journey.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Dave Lindey

Posted on
Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:57 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: Finally Ready to Start

Hi Dave -

I'd start by taking a look at these tutorials: https://wiki.indigodomo.com/doku.php?id=common_ha_tasks which include some examples of exactly what you want to do. After reading those, come back here with any questions and one of us will gladly help out.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:07 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the community. On the hardware front I'd recommend the Aeotec Z-Stick (Gen5), although the Z-WaveMe USB Stick (ZME UZB1) also seems to work really well.

For a motion sensor take a look at the Aeotec multi-sensors – they report temperature, humidity, and illuminance as well. There are several other multi-sensors that work well with Indigo too, including brands from Fibaro, Philio, Zoozs, DHS, and ExpressControls.

Posted on
Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:09 am
dlindey offline

Thanks Matt and DaveL. I have the Z-Stick and I will read the link sent. The problem tat I've been having with some of the documentation is that all of this is very new and I find that some of the documentation assumes that a person has understanding and knowledge. My mother didn't raise a fool and I am an engineer so I have the aptitude to pick things up. Being very detail oriented I just need to establish some basic baseline knowledge.

Thanks for the help.

Dave Lindey

Posted on
Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:28 am
siclark offline

Finally Ready to Start

Welcome Dave.
There are many hardware options available to you and when it comes to the logic, yes much of the discussions will assume a little knowledge but that will come very quickly with a little playing once you have the devices.
I second the Aeotec motion sensors and they also work well sheltered outside.

Lights there are a lot of options. Zwave modules behind the switches, zwave switches, zwave bulbs all via your zwave stick. Or WiFi bulbs or switches with plugins or even zigbee bulbs via another bridge and plugin.

Zwave are the simplest but often the more expensive but also probably the most reliable.

Once you have a switch/bulb and a motion sensor let us know what you have and am sure we can help you with the initial trigger and action setups.

Out of interest do you have any other “smart” devices already in your house such as Ring, Hie, tivos, Sonos, network enabled Amps or TVs that you we could help you connect straightaway and let you play with Indigo devices.

Simon

Posted on
Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:03 pm
dlindey offline

Thanks Simon.

I have in inventory yet to be installed several GE Z-wave dimmers switches 3-way add-ons and duplexes. Just 2 days ago my Aeotec multi sensor arrived so I will add it to the system and begin to play with triggering my dimmable kitchen lights which I have connected to 2 Z-wave dimmable switches. Once I've added the sensor I'll start to play

I do not have any other Z-wave devices. I have a smart tv and an Ecobee 3 thermostat which is connected to my wifi network. I also have a number of esp32 featherboards and sensors and plan to build and eventually script temperature sensors to read temperature throughout the house. These are all part of my long term evolution of my automation system. Depending on the assistance I receive through this forum I will either develop with Indigo or abandon it for the Hubitat approach.

I look forward to your assistance as I try to advance my knowledge.

Thanks again

Dave

Posted on
Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:12 pm
auto_man offline

Keep in mind the Aeotec Multi Sensor and many other Zwave devices supported by Indigo, can also measure and report temperatures., as well as humidity and light in some.

Also, in addition to many great Zwave devices, I’ve also found the the TP-Link KASA line of WiFi switches and receptacles work great with Indigo via a Plugin.

Posted on
Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:57 pm
siclark offline

Hi Dave

You should be able to find plugins for your tv and also there is one I believe for your thermostat.

It’s a few steps down the line but if you want temperature readings throughout the house, zigbee ones are very small and neater than doing your own.
But yes those little boards are great.

Page 1 of 1