Replacing ceiling fans with automated

Posted on
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:00 pm
mprusse offline

Replacing ceiling fans with automated

I have two manual wall controlled ceiling fans in two different rooms, one with a light and the other without. The light fan has two side by side wall switches; one toggle for the light and the other a 3-speed slider for the fan. The other fan with just a 3-speed slider.

I would like to replace both fans with a light/fan model but don't really know the recommended way or switch to use to control both fan and light using Indigo. It seems there are so many switch choices. And if I end up with a fan that has already has wireless control, can I use both the wireless remote that comes with the fan as well as an automated switch? I do want to retain the use of a wall switch. I use Insteon for lighting but not adverse to using Z-Wave as I have an Aeotec Z-Stick I've not used yet.

I would really appreciate any help in getting started with this project including what to look for in fans and switches.

Thank you so much!

Posted on
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:25 pm
Korey offline

Re: Replacing ceiling fans with automated

The Insteon Fanlinc works well.

If you have big bucks there is a plugin for the Big Ass Haiku Fans.. They are very nice!

--
Korey

Posted on
Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:53 am
DaveL17 offline

Inovelli has released a nice looking fan/light switch that has a lot of potential; however, Indigo doesn't officially support them. If it were me, I'd go with the Inovelli units (I only use Z-Wave) because they have a rich feature set. That said, right now that would require me to capture Z-Wave packets or write a custom plugin. I don't know if or when Matt & Jay's plan to include support for them.

https://inovelli.com/red-series-fan-light-switch-z-wave/

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:03 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

DaveL17 wrote:
Inovelli has released a nice looking fan/light switch that has a lot of potential; however, Indigo doesn't officially support them. If it were me, I'd go with the Inovelli units (I only use Z-Wave) because they have a rich feature set. That said, right now that would require me to capture Z-Wave packets or write a custom plugin. I don't know if or when Matt & Jay's plan to include support for them.

Adding support for this one would be pretty high priority. Once someone has one and posts the sync log details we'll look at it.

Posted on
Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:16 pm
DaveL17 offline

Thanks Matt. I suspected as much but didn't want to speak for you guys.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:53 pm
mprusse offline

As I've been shopping around I've noticed that a lot of fans are DC powered and no longer AC. That presents a problem as Inovelli and Insteon controllers only work on AC motorized fans. Are there Indigo controllable options for DC?

Posted on
Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:20 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I don't know of any generalized support for DC fans.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:16 pm
FlyingDiver offline

I can control DC fans that use an RF controller using a Bond Home Bridge and the plugin I wrote. https://bondhome.io

Also, the brand I have remembers it's settings when the power is cut off. So on/off can be done at the wall switch using any switch (not dimmer) that Indigo supports. I have one controlled (on/off) with a Lutron switch.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Page 1 of 1