Indigo Server Installation

Posted on
Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:39 am
McIntoshBear offline

Indigo Server Installation

My Indigo server (MacMini, monitor, keyboard, mouse, power line interface ) currently lives on the dinning room table. I want to move the server to another location in my home so we can again use the table for it's intended purpose but am a bit uncertain where to locate it. I am interested in learning how others have installed their Indigo server and associated hardware. I am thinking about adding an uninterruptible power supply to bridge the gap before my emergency generator kicks in to the list of hardware. Any thoughts on this subject would also be appreciated.

I must admit that I am not good at searching the form so if these topics have been discussed I would also appreciate a pointer to them. Thanks for your input.

Posted on
Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:58 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Indigo Server Installation

My Mac mini and all my networking stuff is in the master closet. The builder puts the structured wiring cabinet in there along with the alarm panel, so it made sense to put the Indigo Mac and interfaces in there as well. YMMV.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:27 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Similar to Jay's, mine lives in the office closet sitting on a shelf in the rack... Z-Wave is on a quality USB Extender cable and mounted on the wall next to the rack. It is on one end of the house and has a LOT of electronics and (presumably) interference around it but it works great.

I have the server on a UPS, but the INSTEON interface would need to go straight to wall I believe.

Adam

Posted on
Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:41 pm
jalves offline

My Indigo server lives in my "office". Its really just a spare bedroom that I use for my hobby stuff. I've got a lot of electronics in very close proximity. My server iMac (runs Indigo & Security Spy plus whatever else I feel like playing with at the time. A repurposed 2012MacMini that was my old Indigo/SS server. Now its jus a play thing and interfaces with my ham radio stuff. Also have several Raspberry Pi's that do various things when I get around to them.

So, as I say, lots of electronics there. None of it seems to interfere with Indigo. Oh, and the room is in the approximate center of the house and is hard-wired to my Internet connection.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:34 am
howartp offline

I just tidied up and moved my Mac and other PCs, in the process of discovering I have a desk and cupboard in my study.

Two PC towers now under my desk behind the drawer unit, with Mac sat on one of the towers.

Desk1.jpg
Desk1.jpg (140.02 KiB) Viewed 2078 times

Desk2.jpg
Desk2.jpg (73.48 KiB) Viewed 2078 times

Posted on
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:09 am
DaveL17 offline

When my Mini died a few years back, I moved Indigo to the iMac in my office. The office is in one corner of the house, but is within range to several Z-Wave devices and it works flawlessly (I have the Z-Stick plugged directly into the Mac's USB). At some point, I reckon I'll move it to an old MacBook Pro I have, so it will have its own built-in UPS (the iMac is on a UPS as well). We too have a backup generator, so we only need about 15-20 seconds of battery power in any configuration.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Page 1 of 1