Homekit or Z-Wave? Motion Sensors/locks, etc.

Posted on
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:08 pm
eightball offline

Homekit or Z-Wave? Motion Sensors/locks, etc.

Okay, so I'm thinking of expanding my setup pretty dramatically (adding security system, locks, motion sensors).

I currently use Homebridge and control a bunch of my dimmers through Siri/Homekit.

So here's the general question I'm facing. When there is the option of homekit or z-wave version of a product (Schlage lock, Fibaro Motion Sensor) - how do you evaluate which way to go? I'm sure there are device specific issues - but I'm interested in the bigger guiding ideas.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Anthony

Posted on
Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:09 am
siclark offline

Re: Homekit or Z-Wave? Motion Sensors/locks, etc.

I think the bigger decision first is specific security system that operates independently from home automation system but can be controlled/overridden by it.
Or one that is integral to it (and fails when it does), then zwave Vs homekit decision.

Also throw into that wired Vs wireless and how fast you want motion reports to be. No motion in last 10 minutes hence turn off light is different to turn light on immediately if motion. First can have a few seconds lag, the other not.

If Indigo can see external security system it can report it onto homekit and control from there as well if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:08 am
Dual offline

Re: Homekit or Z-Wave? Motion Sensors/locks, etc.

I was a Lowe’s Iris user until they abandoned the platform. At that point I looked for a new system that was independent and gave me total control and customization. Also one that I trusted was in it for the long run. Indigo is a great fit for me and I am very happy with it.

I am using Indigo mostly for home security, monitoring and control: entry alarm, water leak detection, exterior lighting, HVAC, internet connectivity, door locks and some device control. I also use SecuritySpy for interior and exterior cameras. Indigo takes care of my house for me when I am away.

For the alarm system I have z-wave contact sensors and motion detectors. Motions are notorious for giving false alarms. Therefore I have installed two instead of one in each area and my programming requires two motion detections within a one minute period to trigger the alarm. It is this type of granular customization that Indigo excels at.

I like the KISS principle. Therefore I chose not to have a dedicated (separate) alarm system that I had to interface to Indigo. I prefer readily available z-wave devices to relying on a single manufacturer and their proprietary parts.

Regarding HomeKit devices, I no longer trust Apple to stay in the game. I was an early adopter of their revolutionary Aperture software in 2005. They abandoned it in 2014. I have a photo library with image edits of more than 50,000 photos that Apple walked away from. I have put my trust in Indigo and z-wave. Hopefully wisely. I prefer as much as possible to be company-agnostic after my experiences with Lowe’s, Apple and others. Long live Indigo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 1