CCTV Camera recommendations

Posted on
Fri May 03, 2019 2:39 am
MR_ROBOT_ offline

CCTV Camera recommendations

Hi,

Hoping this is the right place to post this.

I am possibly looking at replacing some (maybe all if price is right) of my POE cameras I have setup in my HA.

I inherited some IRLAB Surveillance Tech POE cameras (5 total) when I bought my house and one of them has died completely. From looking online this seems to be the spec sheet for it.
http://www.zonetechnology.co.nz/site/zone/files/IR%20Lab/CIR-SR46NAC.pdf

I have looked on AliExpress and there are loads on there so wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions that would suit my needs.

I need:
Dome ideally
Black colour
3MP
ONVIF
Outdoor rated
POE
IR Night mode 20M range

Not sure if it matters however I am currently using SecuritySpy on Mac Mini and SS Plugin on Indigo to push to Apple HomeKit Bridge so I can view them on Apple Watch :).

Hope someone can help.

Cheers
MR_ROBOT_

Posted on
Fri May 03, 2019 7:13 am
norcoscia offline

Re: CCTV Camera recommendations

I switched to hard wired a few weeks ago - using Hikvision 4k HW and happy with them - paid about 165 dollars for each - average is 1-2 mps for each camera and the detail is really good. Big upgrade from my Arlo system (see below).

You may want to add support for H.265 to you requirements list -- SS will allow it in the next update and it will really cut down on the throughput for each camera (compared to H.264 ) with out loss in quality. I have mine set up to always record and I get notified depending on different conditions.

How do you get images to show up on your apple watch - that sounds cool - I'm using pushover and another plug in to send gifs to my phone but they don't show up on my watch.
Attachments
2019-04-03_16-35-02.jpeg
2019-04-03_16-35-02.jpeg (226.6 KiB) Viewed 3016 times

_______
Norm

Posted on
Fri May 03, 2019 8:00 am
peszko offline

I'm running Hikvision cameras (16 around the house with POE) with their NVR. Lots of choices of cameras, domes, ptz, bullet, outdoor indoor, super-zooms etc... Reasonable prices too (especially if you order direct from China). They do come in both white (cream) and black, but I found its a lot easier to find the white versions. Running all of them through the NVR rather then security spy allows me to setup monitors around the house with HDMI cables, and offloads a lot of work from the HA computer. In Indigo you can pull the video through http and various camera plugins. I build my own plugin to streamline this and do a bit more with them. I've run like this for about two years, and longer without the NVR. Very stable setup.

Posted on
Fri May 03, 2019 8:43 am
Professor Falken offline

The Hikvision mini domes are really nice. Though sometimes I wonder if they are so inconspicuous that you lose any deterrent effect....

https://www.amazon.com/Hikvision-Outdoo ... B06WVCYDMN

Posted on
Fri May 03, 2019 11:32 am
siclark offline

The reolink domes seem to work well and are very good value. Definitely better than my trend net one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri May 03, 2019 11:36 am
siclark offline

norcoscia you just need to use the SS plugin and the HKB plugin and you can see live cameras on your watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri May 03, 2019 1:45 pm
norcoscia offline

Thanks I’ll check into it!

_______
Norm

Posted on
Mon May 06, 2019 10:33 am
MR_ROBOT_ offline

Thanks all for the suggestions, i’ll check out the Hikvision and reolink ones.

Good shout on H265 also ‘norcoscia’ I forgot about that. Also some good improvement on your camera feed from your upgrade by looks of it.

Yep as ‘siclark’ said the SS and HKB plugins make it super easy to get CCTV on Apple Watch :)

Those Hikvision minidomes look decent but unfortunately bit too pricey for my needs.

Posted on
Fri May 10, 2019 3:50 pm
noel1983 offline

Mini hijack! Mr Robot won't mind I'm sure!

norcoscia wrote:
I'm using pushover and another plug in to send gifs to my phone but they don't show up on my watch.

Hey Norcosia,
Would you mind sharing more info on how you're sending gifs, (even images would suffice) to your phone from SS cameras?

Finally got round to adding the Wyze beta firmware to the cameras that now adds RTSP support and I've installed on my porch tonight.
Have Indigo sending me a pushover notification when there's motion but definitely need to add an image to that too!

Cheers
Noel

Posted on
Fri May 10, 2019 4:38 pm
norcoscia offline

Sure - you need to add the security spy helper plug-in

Configure it to access you security spy server

set up a trigger

read through the security spy helper thread starting here - you can see how I set it up - works great!

viewtopic.php?f=278&t=20240&p=176451&hilit=helper#p176439

PS if you just want to send images you can just set that up in security spy -via motion capture action!

_______
Norm

Page 1 of 1