Low's Iris shutting down March 31

Posted on
Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:59 pm
Dual offline

Low's Iris shutting down March 31

Hello all.

Lowe's is shutting down Iris as of March 31. I have been an unhappy user of Iris for several years. However, I had a lot invested in Iris for three residences. I checked out Indigo a couple of years ago but I stuck with Iris. No longer!

Lowe's is being pretty good about it. Any hardware that is now useless (i.e. the proprietary items that only worked with Iris such as gen 1 contact sensors, motion sensors, keypads, smart plugs, smart buttons and cameras) are being refunded at FULL LIST PRICE.

Other items that are Z-Wave and/or can be used with other systems such as ST (e.g. door locks, sirens, water leak detectors, light switches and thermostats) are not refunded. Ok by me! I can re-use most of then (I hope) with Indigo and with help from users here on the forums.

I had 120+ devices in total on my 3 systems. Many were gen 1 sensors that I had purchased at 50% off or less when they cleared them out for gen 2. So I am actually profiting. Lots of cash to reinvest in my new system. I am happy about it all. Not likely the rest of their customers.

I am a long time Mac user (I still have the Macintosh Plus I purchased new in 1986). I have some basic (no pun intended) programming skills. So I am looking forward to all the things I can do with Indigo that I could not do with Iris.

My Z-Stick Gen5 arrived today. I will download the Indigo trial today. I have purchased a variety of Z-Wave devices off Amazon to test and they arrived today as well. I also have my existing Iris Z-Wave devices to play with and switch to Indigo. I know what I will be doing for the next few days ... playing with Indigo and smiling.

I will have questions later I am sure. Plenty. For now I just wanted to say hello. Like my Macintosh did back in 1986. :wink:

Posted on
Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:30 am
siclark offline

Re: Low's Iris shutting down March 31

Hello and welcome. Hope you like what you find. I struggled for a few days with indigo initially understanding it's logic around triggers and actions which were different from my old system but it didn't take long to get it. Think I paid up after a week.
Feel free to ask lots of questions. We were all there once.

Jealous of all the new toys you have coming. What devices are you playing with first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:13 am
norcoscia offline

One thing I would like to add - with z-wave (if you are buying all new HW) be sure to try and not mix z-wave versions - there have been a bunch of revisions to the spec for the Z-wave chips and if you stick with Generation 5 (or better) you will avoid some interoperability / performance issues that can be hard to figure out.

You will love Indigo - I have been messing with HA since I had my MAC in the mid 80s and I have tired many controllers - Indigo is by far the best. You can get any questions answered here.

I would recommend, what I think is important (and might not be apparent).

Set up folders to organize your devices, actions, triggers, schedules and control groups. Think about good names for those items and routines. I have hundreds of devices, both z-wave and Insteon and hundreds of actions, triggers, schedules and control groups. After a while it can be hard to remember exactly what you have, what routines are set up and what works with what.

Have fun!

PS. Also, be sure to have your z-wave devices in the location you will use them since moving them around after they have established the network neighbors list can dork up how well things work across the z-wave network. Important for moveable devices!

_______
Norm

Posted on
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:25 am
DaveL17 offline

Also, be sure to exclude the “old” devices before trying to include them with the Z-stick. Exclusion can be done with any controller.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:57 am
siclark offline

And one thing I wish I had done from the start, it you want to store device state history for plotting and historical analysis the highly suggest you a up postgresapp from the start and don't use sqllite.

Posted on
Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:50 pm
Dual offline

Thanks all.

The devices I played with first (until I went to bed at 3 am last night):

EcolinkZ-Wave Plus Rare Earth Magnets Door & Window Sensor, White & Brown (DWZWAVE2.5-ECO)
... successfully added and tested

Aeotec NanoMote Quad, Z-Wave Plus S2 remote control

Aeotec TriSensor, Z-Wave Plus S2 Motion, Temperature, Light Sensor

HAOZEE Z Wave Plus Mini Smart Power Plug
... successfully added and tested (nice small unit, but no certifications evident such as UL ... seller on Amazon says it is ETL certified)

NEO (HAOZEE) Zwave PIR Motion Sensor
... successfully added and tested (nice unit, small, fun looking)

ZLINK, ZL-PA-100, Z-Wave Plus Plug-In Appliance and Lightning Module
... successfully added and tested (ugly chunky unit that feels cheap and has no wattage ability)

Zooz Z-Wave Plus Power Switch ZEN15

Zooz Z-Wave Plus Smart Plug ZEN06
... successfully added and tested (nice unit)

Ecolink Z-wave Plus Motion Detector
... synced but I can not get it to function with Indigo ... if I send a status request it is never acknowledged even after 8 hours ... big and ugly)

HAOZEE Z-Wave Door/Window Sensor
... synced but I can not get it to function with Indigo ... Indigo currently does not have a device definition for this model

GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Plus Smart Motion Sensor
... synced but I can not get it to function with Indigo ... Indigo currently does not have a device definition for this model

Posted on
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:01 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

For HAOZEE Z-Wave Door/Window Sensor that Indigo doesn't yet have a device definition you can use the Match Raw Packet trigger type (after selecting Z-Wave Command Received), and choose your device in the From popup menu.

For the open trigger try a Match Bytes field like this:

* 0x71 0x05 0x00 0x00 0x00 0xFF 0x06 0x16 *

And for the close trigger try:

* 0x71 0x05 0x00 0x00 0x00 0xFF 0x06 0x17 *

Alternatively, you could use Peter's Zwave Lock Manager plugin. It can be used with Z-Wave door/window sensors as well as locks.

For the motion sensors not yet working, try using a Match Bytes field like this:

* 0x71 0x05 0x00 0x00 0x00 0xFF 0x07 0x08 *

And if you want to know when the motion is "cleared" by the module for another trigger use:

* 0x71 0x05 0x00 0x00 0x00 0xFF 0x07 0x00 *

Posted on
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:51 pm
Dual offline

Thanks Matt. I will give that a try tomorrow. When I trigger a functional motion detector I see the activity in the bottom left corner of the main Indigo window, a purple bar moving right to left indicating Z-Wave message received. When I trigger one of the non-working motion sensors I do not even see the bar. Should Match Raw Packet still work, even though it appears I am not receiving communication from the device?

I have moved another huge step forward with Indigo. Loving it so far. I have added the following devices that were previously working with my Iris system:

Radio Thermostat Company of America ... CT101 Thermostat
    Utilitech ... WIRELESS INDOOR SIREN MODEL #TSE07-1
Triggers are working. I have also installed the Pushover plugin and I have notifications working.

Schedules are next for the thermostat.

Followed by testing a couple of other new devices I received from Amazon today:

ZOOZ 4-in-1 sensor ZSE40
DOME Motion Detector with Light Sensor DMMS1 (looks very similar to the HAOZEE unit mention in my first post)

Then the next big step (I'm leaving until last in case it is a PITA) is cutting over my front door lock. Kwikset 910/912 series SmartCode Lock. Wish me luck.

Only a few days in and I am so pleased with what I can do with Indigo.

Cheers

John

Posted on
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:06 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Dual wrote:
Then the next big step (I'm leaving until last in case it is a PITA) is cutting over my front door lock. Kwikset 910/912 series SmartCode Lock. Wish me luck.

I have two of those. Work great.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:34 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

FlyingDiver wrote:
Dual wrote:

I have two of those. Work great.

I have one that was used as the first test case for lock support in Indigo 7 - it's solid... ;)

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:49 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Dual wrote:
Should Match Raw Packet still work, even though it appears I am not receiving communication from the device?

To get better visibility into what commands are actually coming into Indigo you can enable Indigo's Z-Wave debug logging checkbox via the Interfaces->Z-Wave->Configure... menu item. If the Match Raw Packet trigger isn't working then enable that and see what (if any) commands are coming in.

Posted on
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:56 pm
Dual offline

The match raw packet trigger works great for the HAOZEE contact sensor. Thanks for the tip Matt! It is awesome that Indigo gives such freedom to get your hands dirty. I disliked Iris because it was so restrictive. I am enjoying the freedom of Indigo.

Cheers

John

Posted on
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:33 pm
Dual offline

More accomplished today. And a couple of questions needing answers please.

Question 1
I would like to be able to trigger an action from my Kwikset deadbolt depending on which method was used to unlock it: manually, a user (keypad), or by Indigo. Specifically, if a user enters a correct code on the keypad and the door unlocks then Indigo will turn off my alarm. However, if the door is unlocked manually I do NOT want the alarm turned off, since someone could break in physically then disable the alarm simply by unlocking the front door deadbolt manually. I have turned on Z-Wave debug logging and monitored the deadbolt communication. The last 2 hex couplets in "RCVD encryptedPacket: 00 71 05 15 01 (decrypted)" appear to indicate how the deadbolt is unlocked or locked. Can I trigger an action somehow using this 2 hex pairs?

Question 2
I want to turn off my thermostat from 3 pm to 8 pm weekdays then turn it back on into either heat or cool, whichever mode it was in when I turned it off 5 hours earlier. How do I inquire the thermostat's mode before turning it off, then use that info to set the same mode when I turn it back on?

Accomplished today:

• deployed and scheduled 2 smart plugs
  • excluded Kwikset deadbolt from Iris and included in Indigo (had to use encrypted inclusion)
  • Got a HAOZEE contact sensor working using Match Raw Packet
  • Got a Dome motion sensor working using Match Raw Packet (except luminance not working this way)
  • Modified and deployed my first python script to send me one daily email with the battery status of all battery powered devices ... should I share this on the forum, and if so where?
  • Swapped my second thermostat from Iris to Indigo and set schedules for both thermostats

Another good day. I am well on my way to leaving Iris in the rearview mirror. Beer time now.

Posted on
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:36 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Dual wrote:
Question 1
I would like to be able to trigger an action from my Kwikset deadbolt depending on which method was used to unlock it: manually, a user (keypad), or by Indigo. Specifically, if a user enters a correct code on the keypad and the door unlocks then Indigo will turn off my alarm. However, if the door is unlocked manually I do NOT want the alarm turned off, since someone could break in physically then disable the alarm simply by unlocking the front door deadbolt manually. I have turned on Z-Wave debug logging and monitored the deadbolt communication. The last 2 hex couplets in "RCVD encryptedPacket: 00 71 05 15 01 (decrypted)" appear to indicate how the deadbolt is unlocked or locked. Can I trigger an action somehow using this 2 hex pairs?

Use the Z-Wave Lock Manager plugin to trigger an event based on how the lock was locked/unlocked.
http://www.indigodomo.com/pluginstore/83/

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:48 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Dual wrote:
Question 2
I want to turn off my thermostat from 3 pm to 8 pm weekdays then turn it back on into either heat or cool, whichever mode it was in when I turned it off 5 hours earlier. How do I inquire the thermostat's mode before turning it off, then use that info to set the same mode when I turn it back on?

There are a couple of approaches depending on exactly what you want to do: for instance, you could just adjust the setpoints such that it would be unlikely that the system would ever turn on. In any event, see the Advanced Thermostat Adjustment wiki page I wrote up years ago (I still use it in my house) which may do what you need (and more). It uses a script I wrote but you don't have to make any changes to it - just download it and use as directed.

Any other approach would require writing a script. I'd recommend looking at the solution above to see if it would work for you. If not, then we can help out with a script specific to your needs.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn