Got a Phillips Hue Bulb - What Hub Should I Get?

Posted on
Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:20 pm
dgarozzo offline

Got a Phillips Hue Bulb - What Hub Should I Get?

I don't know why I didn't know that I needed another gadget to be able to use the Phillips Hue bulb that I got for Christmas. Ultimately, I will want to have Indigo be the main controller of all of my home automation things, so I guess I need some kind of hub that Indigo can communicate with?

Wink? Smart Things? Phillips Hue Bridge? Are these my options?

Recommendations?

Posted on
Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:25 pm
Different Computers offline

Re: Got a Phillips Hue Bulb - What Hub Should I Get?

Nothing but the Hue Bridge will do. Literally. Check eBay for the hub, as sometimes it's cheaper to buy multiple starter kits just for the bulbs and people put the spare hubs up at a discount.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:53 am
dgarozzo offline

Is that because of the integration to Indigo? Or do the other hubs not fully support the Philips Hue bulb?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:35 am
Different Computers offline

First, because a Hub is required to make the bulb function as more than an ordinary light bulb.

Second, because Indigo talks to the hub, not to the bulbs.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Page 1 of 1