Network Setup / Configuration / Troubleshooting Help

Posted on
Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:51 pm
Fxguy offline

Network Setup / Configuration / Troubleshooting Help

Greetings everyone. I'm hoping that someone might be able to help walk me through the proper setup and configuration of my network and /or troubleshoot what appears to be network issues.

My setup:

Comcast ISP w/ Technicolor Modem/Router Model number TC8305C
Apple Airport Extreme - A1301 AirPort Extreme 802.11n (3rd Generation)
Running Indigo on iMac with MacBook Pro, MacPro Desktop, Two iPhones, iPad, Raspberry Pi and Amazon Alexa all connected.

I'm running Bridge Mode on the Airport and letting the comcast modem assign IP's etc....

My Issue:
Amazon Alexa discovers devices via the Phillips Hue Bridge, and she works for a while, then I will ask Turn off Lights and she says OK but nothing happens. I then have to turn off the Phillips Hue Bridge and restart it (but not indigo server) and then she works again.

Also my iPhones appear to disconnect and reconnect at random.

So I'd like to walk through the configuration and troubleshooting to see if its a setting thats causing problems or something else (like a 3rd gen airport base station) that needs replaced.

Thanks for the help!

Posted on
Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:42 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Network Setup / Configuration / Troubleshooting Help

First question(s) - What version macOS are you running on the iMac? And are you using ethernet, Wifi, or both? If both are on, turn off the Wifi, reboot, and see if that fixes things.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:42 pm
kw123 offline

Typical network problems could be a mix of fixed and assigned ip numbers where 2 devices have the same ip number. Just shooting from the hip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:17 pm
Fxguy offline

Just upgraded to OS X High Sierra last night, running Sierra prior to that. I was thinking it might be a mix of assigned and fixed IP numbers. I've tried to make sure most of the IPs are static as best I can.

I'm correct that I need to have the Airport Base Station running in Bridge mode and letting the Cable Modem assign the IPS right?

Posted on
Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:18 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Fxguy wrote:
I'm correct that I need to have the Airport Base Station running in Bridge mode and letting the Cable Modem assign the IPS right?

Since the ISP provided unit is modem, router, and Wifi all in one, what are you actually using the Airport for?

In any case, one of them needs to be in bridge mode. If it was me, I'd ditch the ISP unit and just buy a modem. Especially if they're charging for use of their unit.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:03 pm
Fxguy offline

I'm using the Airport as a firewall or buffer between my in-house network and the outside world. All my devices connect to the Airport and I don't broadcast the SSID for the Cable Modem. I am renting the hardware so purchasing my own modem / router combo is probably a good idea. I'll have to look into the cable modem and whether I can run it in bridge mode or not.

Posted on
Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:25 pm
Fxguy offline

So turns out I can enable Bridged Mode on the Cable Modem. So I want to enable bridged mode on the Cable Modem and then do I want DCHP Only or DHCP and NAT on the Airport?

Which security is better, WPA2 Personal, WPA/WPA2 Personal, WPA2 Enterprise, or WPA/WPA2 Enterprise?

On the Airport, do I want to connect via DHCP, Static, or PPPoE once I set the modem to bridged mode?

Posted on
Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:26 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Fxguy wrote:
I am renting the hardware so purchasing my own modem / router combo is probably a good idea.

You already have a router, you only need a modem. $60 on Amazon.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:30 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Fxguy wrote:
So turns out I can enable Bridged Mode on the Cable Modem. So I want to enable bridged mode on the Cable Modem and then do I want DCHP Only or DHCP and NAT on the Airport?

You want the AE in full router mode, so DHCP and NAT.

Fxguy wrote:
Which security is better, WPA2 Personal, WPA/WPA2 Personal, WPA2 Enterprise, or WPA/WPA2 Enterprise?

You want WPA2, not WPA. Personal is fine. Enterprise requires an external authentication (RADIUS) server, I believe.

Fxguy wrote:
On the Airport, do I want to connect via DHCP, Static, or PPPoE once I set the modem to bridged mode?

Probably DHCP.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Page 1 of 1