Questions on Indigo

Posted on
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:11 am
Gwilliamb offline

Questions on Indigo

Hi,
I am close to making a decision on a HA system and I think that Indigo is the way I want to go but would like to ask a few questions first. So please bear with me and if any of you could take the time to answer my questions I would much appreciate it.
Do you need to know code(Python) to operate the software and get the most out of it? Without knowing code how limited are you?
Does Indigo do as much as or even more than say Fibaro HC2, Vera, Homey? Any examples would be appreciated .
How easy is Indigo? I know this is a strange question but is it user friendly or relatively hard if you are not an expert HA person?
I notice Homey has several protocols. I'm in Australia so I know Insteon won't work here, but does Indigo have solutions to other protocols like wi-fi, Bluetooth , RF, Lightwave RF, Zigbee, Infrared, NFC etc?
I may think of more later but answers to these would be greatly appreciated .
Regards
Glenn

Posted on
Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:30 am
durosity offline

Re: Questions on Indigo

You definitely don’t need to know python to operate it or get the best out of it. It does help to know a little just to simplify some things, but even an idiot like me has been able to pickup enough to do what I need!

I’d say that indigo does more than the HC2 and Vera, but it’s very much down to what you’re planning to use. It’s certainly much more flexable than those systems.

Indigo is exceptionally easy to use. Have you downloaded the demo to try out?

Indigo supports Z-wave, insteon and x10 built in. There’s lots of other protocols supported by plugins you can get for it including the rfxtrx433 which supports lightwave, etc.

Hope that helps. I expect others will chip in their advice too.. it’s a very lively and supportive forum!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:43 am
Different Computers offline

Gwilliamb wrote:
Do you need to know code(Python) to operate the software and get the most out of it? Without knowing code how limited are you?

I didn't know a bit of Python when I started, and I still don't really know any. There's exactly one piece of Python that does anything complex in my setup, and all it took was for me to ask about how to do it, and Jay provided the clue I needed. So now my exterior lights react to the exterior luminance. Almost all the time I work in Indigo, I work in the graphical user interface, which is all point and click. Easy peasy.

Gwilliamb wrote:
Does Indigo do as much as or even more than say Fibaro HC2, Vera, Homey? Any examples would be appreciated .

The trick here is that it's unlikely that anyone here knows much about all those systems--except maybe Vera. There are many topics here about former Vera users who would never consider switching back, though. And I'll bet money every example you mention is more limited, less capable, less reliable, harder to use, or all those things at once.

Gwilliamb wrote:
How easy is Indigo? I know this is a strange question but is it user friendly or relatively hard if you are not an expert HA person?

I'm no expert. I came from SmartThings, and Indigo was so much easier, because everything is all in one place compared to ST. Also, there's a free trial that can give you a better idea of how easy it is to set things up.

Gwilliamb wrote:
I notice Homey has several protocols. I'm in Australia so I know Insteon won't work here, but does Indigo have solutions to other protocols like wi-fi, Bluetooth , RF, Lightwave RF, Zigbee, Infrared, NFC etc?

Indigo does not directly, currently support Zigbee, though one of the major Zigbee products, Hue, IS supported through an IP based connection to the Hue Bridge.
Bluetooth HA devices are not great ideas for a variety of reasons, but some, like the Flic button can be supported. If a device can connect to a Mac, it's probably possible to make work with Indigo.
RF devices are supported in a variety of ways, through for example the Harmony Hub plugin, or through the Global Cache plugin. RF and Infrared are the same thing. Since it's unlikely you'll be carrying around your Mac running Indigo to activate an NFC tag, you have to explain more about how you would imagine NFC would work with your automation system. Can Indigo react to an NFC tag being sensed by another device? Yes. Check out the rPi plugin.

Here's the thing: Unless you already have a lot of random automation devices using a bunch of different protocols, you don't actually NEED compatibility with all these things. Settle on a system and make sure that what you're going to use to do stuff is compatible with that system. Not EVERY device on every protocol works with any one system, but there's bound to be SOME device from some manufacturer on some protocol that works with every system. Including Indigo. So rather than ask "Does Indigo support every single thing out there?" maybe the better question is "These are thing things I want to do. Is there a way to do that with a device supported by Indigo?"

Speaking personally, the ONLY thing keeping me from being able to do anything I've ever thought of with Indigo is not wanting to spend the money on the $400 z-wave water valve, or the $500 switching multi-zone music amp, or on hiring an electrician to install neutrals in places that don't have them. And these are not issues with Indigo. They would be the case with any system.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:30 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I agree with all the above and want to reinforce what @Different Computers said: you will be much more successful by starting with the "here's what I want to do, can it be done with Indigo" rather than "can Indigo do everything". Starting with the former will get you some great feedback here on the forums. Starting with the latter won't get you much usable feedback because the question is too broad/general.

You don't need to know everything you ever want to do either - just have some relatively specific ideas of the first things you want to do (and this applies to any HA system you should choose). Pick some things that are very clearly defined so you can easily judge when they are accomplished. Starting an HA system is like running a marathon - you have lots of smaller intermediate goals that will give you a sense of accomplishment. And at the same time you will get you familiar with the tools available in the system you pick. The learning curve may be a little steep for complex things, so start with things that are easier (if you don't know, others here can help you understand which is which).

Get some early wins, get familiar, gain confidence, and grow from there.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:07 pm
Japple55 offline

Glenn,
I only have experience with Vera and SmartThings, but there is just no comparison. Indigo is light years ahead, and very easy to use without any Python knowledge. It may not support every protocol, but I've been able to do anything I wanted, only limited by my own imagination (and as DC hinted, my budget). Whenever I have a question, or can't figure something out, I turn to this forum and always get an answer, or several. I'm continually impressed the knowledge level of the plugin devs, and of course, Indigo itself. Everyone is VERY helpful. Just do it...you won't regret it!

Jim

Posted on
Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:16 pm
siclark offline

Having come from 2 years of trying to use Vera and constantly battling against the interface, Indigo is so much easier to use. It takes some time to figure out the logic with triggers and timers etc, but the same applies to any HA system.
Setting things up is so much faster than in Vera. What took anything from 5 to 20 minutes in Vera takes 2 minutes in Indigo.

Posted on
Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:46 am
Gwilliamb offline

Hi all,
Well thank you for your replies and the time taken to write them. So it looks like my decision is made. The ongoing cost formula is the only last hurdle. If you don't need any of the changes that are made to the software for say a year or two, can you then just pay for one upgrade after that time when you feel you could benefit from it?
Thanks again
Glenn

Posted on
Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:27 am
RogueProeliator offline

Well thank you for your replies and the time taken to write them. So it looks like my decision is made. The ongoing cost formula is the only last hurdle. If you don't need any of the changes that are made to the software for say a year or two, can you then just pay for one upgrade after that time when you feel you could benefit from it?

The initial license purchase gives you a year of updates, but unlimited (time) use of the version that you have when your up-to-date subscription runs out in a year. However, subsequent years are only, I believe, $59.99 per year. So if you don't pay that and have to re-purchase another license when you feel that you are ready, you are likely going to lose money on the gamble. At any rate, you have a full year to make that decision for yourself.

Adam

Posted on
Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:27 pm
kw123 offline

If Matt and Jay don't make any money there will be no support No new version No new functionality.
A healthy product makes healthy profits and visa versa. If a product does not make any money it will eventually disappear. Have seen that too often.

If they would make 100k more a year they could offer better support = add a full time person. = Faster new functionality etc.

We should be discussing how to add revenue. Not necessarily higher subscription pricing. But something like extra one on one support for extra money-- I would volunteer for that. Not that I can fix all problems but i went through a lot of mistakes and learnings over the last 3+ years

Karl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:04 pm
mclass offline

Hi Glenn! I'm also in Oz, a refugee from Vera and Fibaro HC2 & had no knowledge of Python.

As an earlier post stated, start simple & work up.
Through assistance from this forums ( and lots of trial and error!!) I have managed "to do everything" that I have wanted to do all on an elderly second hand
Mac Mini. This has included integration of my Daikin air conditioning system "SKYFi" control that I understand is peculiar to Australia. This required a bit of Python (and a steep learning curve!) but was a satisfying exercise.
Based on my experience Indigo is the way to go! But trial the demo and see for yourself.

mclass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:03 am
neilk offline

I agree with Karl, people do get frustrated from time to time at the time between releases but some of the Vera releases suggested those guys couldn’t spell QA, and for me I would rather wait. The level of engagement and responsiveness from Matt and Jay including to the plugin developer (and that motivates people to innovate for free) goes beyond a normal business and they deserve a living. From a value perspective when you look at the big picture of reliability, capability and the whole community it is a no brainer. Just look at the debate about paid plugins and you see how committed the plugin developers are. They are free, high quality with support some commercial providers would be unable to match and offer real additional innovation on top of a rock solid platform.

Like most Vera migrants I was across and further forward before the trial license expired and had bought the full one and no regrets. In Vera you need to learn LUA and that is way more obscure than python, and I needed to do that to do things I did with standard Indigo functionality.

Posted on
Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:08 am
Gwilliamb offline

Decision made! I stupidly thought it was the same amount to renew every year as the first initial payment.
Most things I need to do I am fairly sure Indigo will be able to perform. How is it on Geofencing?
Mclass, where do you reside in this wonderful country of ours? I live near Port Macquarie , NSW. Are there many more Aussies using Indigo?. Talking about your Daikon, is it a split system or a fully ducted air con? I have a fully ducted system and was wondering if they can be controlled by Indigo.

Other things I want to include is I'm also about to install a large driveway and garden 24v lighting system. I gather again Indigo will be able to control these including having them work with sensor lights , geofencing, and integrated also with normal light switches inside. I already have an Amazon Echo and a couple of dots so I am looking forward to integrating them with Indigo.
Another stupid question I am sure but how do you get I
Indigo to work with ordinary TV's etc. Is it possible or do you need particular brands?

Again thanks everyone for your help and encouragement .

Glenn

Posted on
Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:35 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Gwilliamb wrote:
I gather again Indigo will be able to control these including having them work with sensor lights , geofencing, and integrated also with normal light switches inside.

Yeah, if they're controlled by switches that you can replace with Z-Wave switches then you're good to go.

Gwilliamb wrote:
Another stupid question I am sure but how do you get I Indigo to work with ordinary TV's etc. Is it possible or do you need particular brands?

It depends on the level of control you want. If simple 1-way control is good enough, then you can try using an IR controller device (like a Global Cache). A better option IMO is the Harmony Hub (I assume it's available in your area) - it can control tons of stuff including IR A/V equipment. There's a 3rd party plugin that allows you to control the hub from Indigo.

For 2-way control, check out the list of 3rd party A/V plugins for specific devices that are supported.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:27 am
sgbirch offline

Gwilliamb wrote:

I have been using Indigo for several years, my only Python was written to streamline something that could have been implemented without Python but since I already knew python I used it.
Gwilliamb wrote:

It has been a while since I used my HC2 or Vera, they both gather dust. Neither of them worked for me, Indigo just seems more intuitive.
Gwilliamb wrote:

Easy. If you have any problems they are happy to help on this forum. Why don't you just download the software and use to for a while, it is free to try. Let us know how it goes! You can probably tell from my reply that I am a bit of a Indigo fan, it is just about perfect for my own needs.

Posted on
Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:35 am
sgbirch offline

kw123 wrote:
We should be discussing how to add revenue. Not necessarily higher subscription pricing. But something like extra one on one support for extra money--

I agree ... this is a niche market and generating enough to live on can't be easy. One on one support sounds good, although to make financial sense it will not be cheap - there are no economies of scale for private consulting. I have a feature I'd like to see implemented, the ability to change wake up intervals. There is a work around posted at this site but I'd rather see it implemented as a feature. I would be very interested to know how much you guys would charge to get that implemented?