How do you document?

Posted on
Tue May 02, 2017 5:08 am
Umtauscher offline

How do you document?

Hi everyone,

I have been using Indigo for quite some time now.
Over time my installtion grew a significant bit more complex than I wanted.
Anyways I just wanted to ask: How do you documnet the depedencies of the different devices/shedules/action groups and scripts in your installtion?
I am just wondeing if anyone has come up with some sort of "form" to document things.

Happy to hear your thoughts
Wilhelm

Posted on
Tue May 02, 2017 6:55 am
Different Computers offline

Re: How do you document?

All I really do is name triggers with full sentences so they get written out to the log.

So I have a trigger called "There's motion in the great room after dark, so I turned on the bookcase lights."

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Tue May 02, 2017 7:19 am
NewfD90 offline

As a newcomer to Indigo from Vera, I have the same exact question. My configuration is fairly complex, and it's easy to forget what's triggering what and under what conditions.

It would nice if Indigo had some sort of reporting feature that would nicely summarize everything with all their interdependencies.

Posted on
Tue May 02, 2017 9:57 am
citysnaps offline

I'd also very much like an easy to use documentation tool. System documentation has been on my mind for a long time.

Perhaps something that would show the big picture diagrammatically, while allowing dependencies and other nuance to be viewed when needed, such as hidden Auto-off and Delay By timers in Actions, for example.

Some kind of mind map with relevant notation, perhaps? OTOH, I could make my own map with several tools that are available. Keeping it updated is the challenge. Having that happen automatically would be great!

Brad
Urban photoblog: www.citysnaps.net

Posted on
Tue May 02, 2017 11:02 am
Umtauscher offline

Thanks guys for you thoughts.

But as much as I would love a semi automatic solution, I don't think this would work considering the ability to place snippets of code in scripts and plugins everywhere.
What I was thinking of was kind of a template of a document I could fill out by hand or something like this.
But maybe there is a more intelligent solution.
Cheers
Wilhelm

Posted on
Wed May 03, 2017 6:44 am
Busta999 offline

Different Computers wrote:
All I really do is name triggers with full sentences so they get written out to the log.

So I have a trigger called "There's motion in the great room after dark, so I turned on the bookcase lights."

Good idea, will incorporate in mine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed May 03, 2017 7:10 am
roussell offline

Jon Oxer (Superhouse.tv, Freetronics.com.au, well worth subscribing to his Youtube channel if you love HA) recently published an article and Youtube video about preparing your home automation system for death, which while a somber topic, offers some great tips on documenting complex HA systems; he provides the template he uses (Google Docs) and explains the procedure he follows. Here's the link: http://www.superhouse.tv/23-preparing-your-home-automation-system-for-death/

Terry

Posted on
Wed May 03, 2017 7:17 am
Umtauscher offline

Thanks, I know Jonathan Oxers videos but I haven't seen new ones for some time.
Great!
Thanks again

Wilhelm

Page 1 of 1