Will a HA project of this size work? Be reliable?

Posted on
Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:05 pm
chase offline

Will a HA project of this size work? Be reliable?

I have been experimenting with Indigo for a month now, I have about 30 devices deployed. I have not had ANY failed communications so far. (at least that I can notice/log)

I am planning on using Insteon for all the dimmers/switches/receptacles and power modules. I will use Insteon sensors for all doors, windows and water, but I will use mostly Z-wave for motion, light, temperature and humidity.

I have the nest thermostat plugin, Ted 5000 plugin, MyQ plugin and will probably use more (I am hoping someone creates one for Hunter Douglas Powerview blinds).

The tally of devices for doing the whole house is about 125 more insteon devices and 20 Z wave devices.

My question is will a system of this size reliably pass all communications? I have read about people having trouble with dropped packets, etc and resorting to voodoo or meticulous testing and revision of the hardware configurations to get things working reliably.

Posted on
Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:57 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Will a HA project of this size work? Be reliable?

In our experience, 120 Insteon devices is very likely to be problematic. Insteon is quite susceptible to failures because of signal collisions so the more Insteon traffic you have, particularly devices that broadcast out frequent/regular status changes (sensors, thermostats, etc), the more problems you're likely to have. I'd recommend using Insteon for lighting control (switches, outlets, and wall warts) and Z-Wave for everything else.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:22 am
chase offline

OK,

Which Z-wave open/close sensors (with external sensor terminals) have people had good luck with?

And what is recommended as a Z-wave alternative to the Insteon hidden door sensor (which is my go-to form factor for door sensors)?

Can't wait till v 7 with more z-wave sensor support!

Posted on
Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:46 am
Different Computers offline

All I can say about Z-wave stuff is that I think the Monoprice motion sensors are a little suspect. I have two of them trying to manage counter lights in my kitchen, one in the hall doing the lights there, and they just seem to miss motion, or miscommunicate their status now and then. I'm not sure which.

So maybe spring for more expensive motion sensors. But I can't recommend a specific one, since all of mine are Monoprice.

My Aeon Smart Energy Switches are rock solid, if you're going to move away from Insteon. And my Go Control door sensor is working great, though the packs they're sold in use what appears to be that Monoprice motion sensor.

Sonoma on a Mac Mini M1 running Airfoil Pro, Bond Home, Camect, Roku Network Remote, Hue Lights, DomoPad, Adapters, Home Assistant Agent, HomeKitLinkSiri, EPS Smart Dimmer, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Grafana. UnifiAP

Posted on
Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:40 pm
durosity offline

chase wrote:
OK,

Which Z-wave open/close sensors (with external sensor terminals) have people had good luck with?

And what is recommended as a Z-wave alternative to the Insteon hidden door sensor (which is my go-to form factor for door sensors)?

Can't wait till v 7 with more z-wave sensor support!

Alternatively depending on if you have an alarm system in the house if it has any wireless door sensors you might be able to interface it with Indigo and get its status reports.

Computer says no.

Page 1 of 1