New to Indigo

Posted on
Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:09 am
rml2112 offline

New to Indigo

Hi,
I am very new to home automation and indigo itself.
I have a small z-wave network & a insteon garage door opener.
My questions are
I used the demo and just added to it should i have started out with my own very small database?
Is there a section about plugins (for dummies ) i have set up my onkyo receiver but i am not quite sure how to proceed
i have looked into the forums and there are very nice control pages, where does one begin ?

Thanks
Bob

Posted on
Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:27 am
Different Computers offline

Re: New to Indigo

I was told that best practices would be to start with a new database, but didn't get told that until after I had already done more work than I wanted to lose. So I went through and made sure that all the demo devices and variables and action groups were gone. Seems to work OK.

viewforum.php?f=146

"Where to start" with control pages is a tough and vague one to answer. I suppose the first thing is to think about where your control pages will be used, on what, and by whom. That's not the fun answer, but it's a reasonable one.

I have half a dozen control pages that I don't use any more, ones I created because I thought something was what I wanted, and realized it wasn't. Or I went in another design direction. The great thing about Indigo is you can have as many of these as you want. I have a control page that's designed for a 1st gen iPod touch, and it has exactly ONE control on it and nothing else. It's a bedside light switch.

I have other pages that have really complicated graphs. Or 30 different controls.

Don't put too much on one page!

Sonoma on a Mac Mini M1 running Airfoil Pro, Bond Home, Camect, Roku Network Remote, Hue Lights, DomoPad, Adapters, Home Assistant Agent, HomeKitLinkSiri, EPS Smart Dimmer, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Grafana. UnifiAP

Posted on
Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:50 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: New to Indigo

Different Computers wrote:
I have half a dozen control pages that I don't use any more

I'm surprised it's only that many, I have probably 100+ I don't use any more and badly need to clean up!

rml2112 wrote:
Is there a section about plugins (for dummies ) i have set up my onkyo receiver but i am not quite sure how to proceed

Do you want to know how to write one or how to install one? Check the File Library for a number of plugins that you might find useful (including some for Onkyo receivers).

rml2112 wrote:
i have looked into the forums and there are very nice control pages, where does one begin ?

You can copy someone's design that you like (see some examples in this thread) or some of us have come up with complete systems you can implement like my Room-O-Matic (if you use the ROM then be sure to read the latest thread about using different plugins with it for now).

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Page 1 of 1