Basic Remote Desktop Viewing

Posted on
Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:39 pm
canalrun offline

Basic Remote Desktop Viewing

Hello,
Can anyone recommend a very basic combination to remotely view Indigo running on my Mac Mini?

My needs are extremely simple. My Mac Mini sits in the basement. I'm usually upstairs in the study. Occasionally I will need to, once or twice every six months, only locally, adjust or access something on the Mac.

I understand the Mac has built-in remote desktop viewing based on VNC – something like this would be more than adequate.

My Windows 7 machine is upstairs. I found a free remote desktop viewer, TightVNC. Does anyone have experience with this or can suggest an alternative?

Thanks,
Barry.

Posted on
Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:23 pm
CliveS offline

Re: Basic Remote Desktop Viewing

Try Teamviewer, free for personal use, Windows and Mac versions.

http://www.teamviewer.com/en

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:59 pm
Different Computers offline

Do you use iCloud? Remote viewing and control is built in to Mac OS 10.7+. It's in your Applications folder, and it's called Screen Sharing. Bonus: IPV6 secure tunneled wide area access to all your Macs.

Do you mean that you have a Windows computer you're trying to access the mac with? Then you just need a VLC viewer and the right settings in the Sharing control panel.

No need to add something else like TeamViewer on top of it.

Sonoma on a Mac Mini M1 running Airfoil Pro, Bond Home, Camect, Roku Network Remote, Hue Lights, DomoPad, Adapters, Home Assistant Agent, HomeKitLinkSiri, EPS Smart Dimmer, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Grafana. UnifiAP

Posted on
Sun May 01, 2016 9:50 am
canalrun offline

Thanks both.

I enabled the Mac Mini Screen Share – System Preferences/Sharing/check Screen Sharing.

On Windows 7, I downloaded TightVNC and installed only the Viewer (choose custom install, disable server installation)

I am able to locally access the Mac desktop screen from my Windows 7 PC. This works well for my needs – there is a one or two second delay, but that is fine.

Barry.

Page 1 of 1