INSTEON Hardware Switches - switch state vs software command

Posted on
Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:47 am
joelande offline

INSTEON Hardware Switches - switch state vs software command

I have been using Indigo and INSTEON devices for a long time in rentals, so I have historically used simple LampLincs because there would be no modifications to the home.

Now that I own my home, I want to start installing SwitchLinc Dimmers and OutletLinc Dimmers for a more permanent and cleaner, more flexible installation.

I am curious how the position of the SwitchLinc's physical toggle button works in conjunction to commands received from Indigo?

For example, the switch's physical button could be in the OFF position, but I send an Indigo command to turn it (or the light it is controlling) ON.

Or the switch's physical button could be at 80% , but an Indigo scene change sent a command setting it to 20%.

Do you just have to get used to the switch's physical button being out of sync with the light?

I assume in the above scenario, moving the switch's physical button (which is at 80%) up, it would cause the light to jump quickly from 20% (the value last set by Indigo) to 81% (and not to 21%)?

macOS Server — INSTEON devices — SONOS audio — Indigo Touch — Watch
TiVo — Harmony Ultimate Remote
>0< [-0-]

Posted on
Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:21 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: INSTEON Hardware Switches - switch state vs software com

The physical switch itself doesn't toggle up and down like normal Decora switches. It's in a neutral position (centered) - a press on the top is an ON and a press on the bottom is OFF (press and hold are brighten/dim). The LEDs on the switch approximate the brightness the switch is set to.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:36 pm
joelande offline

Re: INSTEON Hardware Switches - switch state vs software com

Ok - that perfect makes sense. Good to know. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

macOS Server — INSTEON devices — SONOS audio — Indigo Touch — Watch
TiVo — Harmony Ultimate Remote
>0< [-0-]

Page 1 of 1