Considering Indigo - Questions...

Posted on
Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:45 am
jgli offline

Considering Indigo - Questions...

I currently have an élan G/HAI system and may be moving. I've always been frustrated by both products as they are PC based and have very cumbersome environments. élan is also way over priced.

Outside of being able to control everything I also observe the Jewish Sabbath and Holidays so I need lots of control. Is there a way to create an interface that would let the user pick when the lights would go off during "Shabbos" or a "YomTov" in either a pul down menu of some sort. Attached is my current screen and it was a bear to program in élan G as you can't re-use code from button to button (you have to cut and paste it). Then I had to turn buttons on and off when another button was pressed. I really wanted to be able to have different times for different days (sometimes we have a holiday that is two days long, sometimes it can be three) - but the work is just too overwhelming.

Is there "case" type logic so you can write one script that covers the routine. Sort of like:

Case of:
(FirstFloorOff=10)
RunFirstFloor Off @ 10 PM
(FirstFloorOff=11)
RunFirstFloor Off @ 10 PM
end case

I really want to create a screen where you indicate the number of days the house has to be in this special mode where we can't touch lights, and also be able to choose different times for different days.

Finally, could one reach to outside sources to determine the actual holidays that are based on a lunar calendar so the house would go into the right mode based on when the holiday occurs (not critical but would be very cool). My son rights real code and laughs at the élan and HAI environments. I saw something about Python scripts.
Attachments
Shabbos.tiff
Shabbos.tiff (405.49 KiB) Viewed 4592 times

Posted on
Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:47 am
jgli offline

Re: Considering Indigo - Questions...

Also, I have a WeatherCat weather station that creates a jpeg banner with all my core weather stats. Is there a way to link to that jpeg on the internet and include it in a screen (screen shot attached as well).
Attachments
HomeScreen-jpg.jpg
HomeScreen-jpg.jpg (200.58 KiB) Viewed 4591 times

Posted on
Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:00 pm
jgli offline

I guess no one has any ideas. Anyhow, I figured out how to grab an image from the internet, but I've read the documentation a few times and have been playing with the control page editor and can't seem to figure out what kind of UI elements are available.

If you want to provide the user the option of choosing a time for something to happen, can you give them a list? A series of radio buttons? How about the interface I have now with a series of buttons, where the click of one disables the other (similar to a radio button).

Posted on
Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:06 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Is there "case" type logic so you can write one script that covers the routine. Sort of like:

You can certainly do this type of construct in Indigo using several methods, but a simple embedded script would likely get you going; people on the forum are very willing to help out those who run into trouble creating a script. You already have the idea written out, just have to translate that to Python or AppleScript.

I really want to create a screen where you indicate the number of days the house has to be in this special mode where we can't touch lights, and also be able to choose different times for different days.

Fairly easy - and, again, multiple ways to skin the cat depending upon how you want the page to look. The way I would tackle this, most likely, is to have a variable that is basically the "mode" of the house (values might be "normal" and "holiday" or something similar). You would then have various timers or schedules for the different lengths - 1 day, 2 days, 3 days, etc. The user would select the button (e.g. "2 Days of Holiday") and Indigo would respond by setting the variable to "holiday" and enabling the 2-Day timer/schedule.

If you want to provide the user the option of choosing a time for something to happen, can you give them a list? A series of radio buttons? How about the interface I have now with a series of buttons, where the click of one disables the other (similar to a radio button).

Yes, you can have actionable text to click on, a static image or an image that changes according to the value of a variable or device state. One option is to have images as the buttons for each option, another is to have the small green dot with text beside it (looks like a radio button), another would be to have one enabled and one disabled image for each option which change based on the state of a variable. Have a look at this thread for a TON of examples of control pages which shows you both the possibilities and perhaps how people have accomplished something similar.

Adam

Posted on
Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:27 am
jgli offline

Thanks, I started browsing through that 47 page thread.

Is there any more documentation other than the Wiki thread. I've been playing with the demo and am trying to get some sort of list with times 10, 10:30 PM, 11:00 PM. I guess the way to handle it for a 2 day holiday would be when the person click on "2 day" it would jump to another screen with the times for both days.

Also, with respect to Applescript - can you use it to control the same things you would via the point and click interface in the Indigo app? If so, that's really cool.

Finally, it would be great to know how folks are handling it will touch screens. Right now the advantage of the élan screens is that I can programmatically turn them on and off (but the are stupendously expensive).

Posted on
Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:51 pm
jgli offline

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Posted on
Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:25 pm
howartp offline

AppleScript is mainly used for Indigo to interface with other products such as iTunes, Finder etc.

Python can be used to control all the things you can do in the UI, and more besides. The IOM (Indigo Object Model) is what you need for this.

http://wiki.indigodomo.com/doku.php?id= ... _reference

Indigo has its own iOS app (Indigo Touch) and Adam (RoguePriolator) has written a very good Android app called Domopad.

What is the extent of your restrictions on special days? I am aware they exist, but I'm more familiar with the Amish protocols than Jewish. If you can't operate a light switch, can you press an iPad button that actions a set of end-of-day routines which happens to include turning off lights?

It sounds like you're on the right lines for your initial approach/design. Three buttons on your '2nd' page might enable/disable schedules, or triggers, or run actions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:15 pm
jgli offline

Before the sabbath begins you can setup any kind of routine/schedule, but once it starts you can't touch a switch/change the status of a light (if you are really following it you need to disable the motion detectors in your house).

I can see how easy it would be to come up with the logic in the app itself and right now I'm doing it with Elan G. Basically, you turn lights on and off, disable motion detectors and alarm beeps, turn off outdoor motion sensor lights, and then turn them all on the next day. Sometimes we have two day holidays, sometimes three, and in a perfect world you would want to be able to set a different schedule for each day (if you are entertaining people on the second day you might want more lights on).

I just can't seem to get a handle on how to create the interfaces to choose/change variables.

Posted on
Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:56 am
howartp offline

jgli wrote:
I just can't seem to get a handle on how to create the interfaces to choose/change variables.

How I would approach it initially is this. Others will have different ideas.

Ignore the UI to start with.

You want lights to turn off at 10, 10.30 or 11. So start with three schedules that do that, but disable them.

Repeat for lights on in the morning and/or evening.

Now the length of holiday varies. So we need a variable to hold that length. Create a variable called HolLength and set it to 0 to start with.

During the holiday, we need to know what day of the holiday we're in (the 1st day, 2nd day, ...) so create a variable to hold it called HolDay and set it to 0.

Now, via the UI we haven't created yet, we need a means of setting up to three days worth of lighting times. I'll assume for this post that you're only bothered about the evening "off" time, then you can replicate it to other periods yourself. For each day, we need to set off time to 10, 10.30 or 11 - and a way of holding that info.

So we need three variables - one per day. Create Day1EveOff, Day2EveOff and Day3EveOff. To set the value of those, we need an action for each day, for each time.

Create an action group SetDay1EveOff_10 that sets the value of variable Day1EveOff to 10. Copy this to 8 other actions an rename/edit accordingly. Day2, Day3 and 1030 and 11

Now on the UI, have 3 buttons that set HolLength to 1, 2 or 3 (I can't remember if you need an action group for this or if buttons can do single actions directly)

Then 3 buttons per day that set off time to 10, 10.30 or 11.

Also make a button that sets a variable called HolActive to true/false.

That's your logic and UI done.

Now, you need either a script or bunch of schedules. At midnight, check IF() HolActive is true.

If so:
Disable all three schedules 10, 10.30 and 11
Increment HolDay +1
If HolDay>HolLength then set HolActive false and stop script
If HolDay=1 and Day1OffTime=10 then enable schedule 10pm
If HolDay=1 and Day1OffTime=10.30 then enable schedule 10.30pm
Etc etc for HolDay2 and 3

I'm off out now so I might have missed a step or two, but that's my starting point.

Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:24 pm
jgli offline

Thanks, I was thinking along those lines. What I love about Indigo (so far) is the ability to handle complex logic like that. In order to convince my wife that we don't need an integrator I need to be able to show her the interface.

She's been frustrated by the unreliability of our UPB switches, the new Lutron Radio RA switches seem much better.

I wonder if anyone on the board does UI/Interface work for hire.

Posted on
Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:50 pm
durosity offline

jgli wrote:
I wonder if anyone on the board does UI/Interface work for hire.

Have a look through the post your control page thread and see if there's any UIs you particularly like, someone might be willing to export out their templates for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:53 pm
jgli offline

I'm sure once I figure out the UI elements I'll be OK, but I'm having trouble with that part.

Posted on
Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:47 pm
durosity offline

Ah well practice makes perfect, as they say. The whole control page editor functionality is quite easy to master after you get used to its limitations. Don't get me wrong, it is truly amazing but I'm really hoping that indigo 7 will add in some desperately needed functions. We'll see what happens.. The boys have a huge request list for features, so I'd be happy if even 10% of what I want appeared :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Page 1 of 1