DSC 1832 Setup Help

Posted on
Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:40 am
xfiring offline

DSC 1832 Setup Help

I originally had a Brinks system installed 10 years ago so all of the motion sensors and contacts are whatever Brinks installed. I then moved to a Sequel ST8 (no longer in business) and did this myself. I was able to get everything to work. However, without this company in business I need to switch to something else. I had a DSC 1832 with IT100 (serial interface) and 2 keypads laying around brand new. So I just installed this and I get the trouble light and error code 3 (general trouble).

The system has 6 zones, 2 keypads, 1 siren and 1 Serial interface:

Zone 1: Front Door has two wires (black and red). I wired Red to Zone 1 and black to Common
Zone 2: Door through garage and has two wires( black and red). I wired Red to Zone 2 and black to Common
Zone 3 & 4: These are doors and was referred to as a 'flex kit' on my install diagram (I believe glass break and door sensor). This has 4 wires. I put black/red on auxiliary inputs and then green on common and white on zone 3. (note this was consistent with how they were setup and working on the previous system.
Zone 5/6: All motion detectors wired the same as Zone 3 (black/red on auxiliary inputs) and green on common and white on the Zones.

Resistors: I put a single zone resistor on Zone 7 and Common and I put a resistor on Zone 8 and Common.

Any ideas what is going on here? I just get the flashing yellow light with error code 3. I also see an icon that looks like a door is open. I have enabled chimes but nothing works.

Thanks
Last edited by xfiring on Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:20 pm
howartp offline

Re: DSC 1832 Setup Help

Definitely looks like your resistors / zone configs aren't matching.

I bashed my head against it for ages to get right; have you got the manuals etc with the system or have you just re-connected like for like with your old one?

There's three zone config options; NC Loops, Single EOL Resistor and Double EOL Resistor.

To check your core config, if you temporarily disable zones 3-8 and set zones 1 and 2 as NC Loops, you should be able to clear the Troubles and operate your alarm. This was working ok for me on my zones 1 and 2 (also contact-closures like yours).

When it came to my PIRs, aka your zones 3-6, I literally spent days arguing with it trying NOT to use resistors. (My old alarm didn't use them, and I had separate tamper circuits, so I didn't intend using them). In the end I gave up, and implement SEOL but with the resistors in the cabinet instead of in the PIRs like they're supposed to be.

Try just enabling zone 4 (simple PIR zone), leaving 3 and 5-6 disabled for now: Set it to SEOL, put the resistor between green and common, and test it. If that doesn't work, turn the resistor around. (It's 18 months since I did mine so I'm saying this from memory).

Have a play and report back. Me and Durosity are pretty well versed on fiddling our way through the DSC setups!

Peter

Posted on
Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:33 pm
xfiring offline

Thanks! I have gotten DLS 5 finally connected via PC-Link but nothing seems to be uploading even though it says it is 100% uploaded and connected.

Yes I just matched like to like from the previous system. I would assume all my door zones (1, 2, 3 and 4) would be NC (normally closed i am guessing) and then the remaining two motion detectors would be something else? These resistors make zero sense to me other than i thought i had to put them when a zone was empty.

Can you give me a quick number sequence on how to setup zones in NC loops and then disable the other zones?

The 70 page manual is less than helpful so I figured PC-Link would be a quick fix, sorely mistaken thus far.

EDIT: I found *8 (master code) 013 then push 1. I don't understand it says normally closed loops on or off but just says option 1 and the keypads display nothing so you can not tell if it is on or off. option 2 says double end of line resistors on and off but again you can't see anything on the keypad just here beeps and noises.

Posted on
Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:10 pm
howartp offline

Which keypads have you got?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:29 pm
xfiring offline

PK5501

Posted on
Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:50 pm
durosity offline

Ah yes I find those much more awkward to program with. It might be worth trying to get an old pc5500 or pk5500.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:51 pm
durosity offline

Sorry I meant lcd5500 radio her than pc5500

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:57 pm
durosity offline

Rather than! Argh! Ok that it I quit for tonight.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:52 pm
howartp offline

Yeah, I suspected it might be a 5501. Just makes it more fun.

Page 9 of my manual has the attached image in (if Tapatalk lets me).

So once in *8<code>, typing 013 takes you to the first programming section.

---

WE then get prompted for an option code from 01-16. Typing 01 takes us to enabling/disabling NC Loops.

What we then see on 5500 keypads is a string of 8 characters. _2__5_78 would mean zones 2,5,7&8 are ON for whichever subsection we're programming, eg NC Loops. 1,3,4,6 are OFF for that subsection.

If we press key 5, it will toggle off (_) and on (5) repeatedly. Pressing 9 switches the display to zones 9-16, so 12__56__ means zone 9,10,13,13 are on. Pressing # stores the values and returns us to 013 mode, ready to enter another subsection such as 2 (SEOL/DEOL).

Within 013 option 1, we have therefore configured 16 values. Within 013 option 2, we would configure another 16 values.

-----

When YOU have entered 013, I'm not sure if you get prompted for an option code or not? If you are, then enter 01. You might be presented straight away with the config for 01.

Either way, once you're in 01, the Zone LEDs 1-8 on your keypad will be lit or unlit; these represent exactly the same as our _2__5_78 options, except it uses the Zone LEDs. Pressing 5 will toggle Zone LED 5 on/off, ie enable/disable NC Loop on Zone5.

I'm not sure if pressing 9 toggles you to zones 9-16 or whether you press a Panic key (Fire etc). See if toggling 9 toggles the Zone LEDs between what you see for 1-8 and something else then back again?

It will also depend if you had to enter option 01 - I suspect that after you enter 013, you immediately get option 01, zones 1-8. Pressing Panic will get option 01, zones 9-16. Pressing Panic again gets option 02, zones 1-8. Pressing Panic again gets option 02, zones 9-16. Etc etc etc until you've entered all of options 01-08 and zones 1-16.

---

See if that makes sense with what you're seeing on your keypad and report back.

It gets trickier when you get to other options that require values 0-9 and A-F instead of just On/Off values.

We get a regular text input on screen; pressing 1-9 types 1-9. < and > move to different characters.

You instead get character 1 on screen, in binary format using Zone LEDs 1-4. This is where you need the grid on Page 9, and it helps if you understand Binary. (I do as I work in IT). Pressing Panic moves onto the next character.

Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:48 am
xfiring offline

Thank you Peter for the detailed explanation but my keypads still don't display anything (even using the left to right arrows). So once I go in *8 (code) 013 I see nothing. Even if I hit 1 still nothing either on screen or moving the arrows.

Do you have any idea why the PC Link DLS 5 isn't updating the system? It connects and says it transfers 100% but doesn't do anything that I can tell.

I may need to get another keypad but of course I can't just run to the store and grab one so might be stuck for a bit. I do appreciate all of the help here.

Posted on
Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:12 am
howartp offline

Sorry xfiring, I've just realised I was talking complete garbage last night. (Even more than Durosity in his 3 attempts to say one sentence!)

I was typing it all in bed without the keypad in front of me, and thus doing it from memory whilst reading the manual.

When we (me and Durosity) go into option 013 on our LCD keypads, we see a string of 8 characters. However it isn't relating to zones, its relating to options.

_2__5_78 would mean option 1 (NC Zones) is off, option 2 (DEOL/SEOL) is on, option 3 (keypads display troubles) is off, etc.

I had thought that the PK5501 was an LED keypad with Zone LEDs, but I can't see any on pictures, so I'm confused - if it is an LCD keypad I would expect you to see something on screen as soon as you press 013.

What do you see on screen after you've typed *8[code]? Something like "Enter Section: ---" ?

Regarding DLS, you've got to enable programming and downloading via the keypad, every time you want to use DLS - it then stays enabled until you disconnect or afer <x> minutes. If you're struggling navigating the programming options, you probably haven't got this turned on.

Which bit of the country are you in?

Peter

Posted on
Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:39 am
xfiring offline

The keypads literally show nothing when I am in programming mode. Here are the keypads http://www.dsc.com/index.php?n=products&o=view&id=1280

This system I've had laying around for about 5 years but no reason why it should work.

I have tried to the *8 (master code) 499 to try to enable PC Link but who knows if that worked because I can't see anything! Is there another code to enable PC Link or get the system set to take an upload?

Anytime I enter *8 (code) to the screen goes blank and the arrow keys do nothing to bring up information. So wen I am in programming mode I have no way to see anything. Strange really.

I am in Wisconsin USA.

Would taking a picture of my panel and uploading it help? I doubt it because it is pretty simple. Zone 1 and Zone 2 are 2 wire contact door sensors. Zone 3 and Zone 4 are 4 wire doors sensors with maybe a break sensor, and Zone 5 and Zone 6 are 4 wire motion detectors. Just need to get this programming sorted out.

Posted on
Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:42 am
howartp offline

[Edit: Wrote this whole reply why you were replying - are you saying you don't see anything where he has options 1 and 6 enabled?]

Ah, just found this video showing the difference between our keypads and yours: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B70i0sVSWK0

I can certainly see how you're struggling!

Have a look at this other video from 1:15 to 1:50: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0mStYrzhRg

It's in a foreign language but you can see him entering *8[code], then section 014 (which has identical programming options to 013) - he has option 6 enabled already so the tiny number 6 is present. He then enables option 1, so the number 1 appears. When he's done in section 014 he presses # to return to the main programming menu (as though he's just done *8[code]).

Do you see the equivalent of options 6 and 1 being enabled/disabled by being present on screen?

Peter

Posted on
Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:18 pm
xfiring offline

Had to run out this afternoon but will give this a shot in a bit.

Posted on
Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:53 am
xfiring offline

I just watched the first video on the keypads. I now see the issue and I think it may be pretty darn near impossible to get this system running with this keypad.