[ANSWERED]: Is my s2 stick controller correctly interfaced?

Posted on
Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:22 am
AEshton offline

[ANSWERED]: Is my s2 stick controller correctly interfaced?

This is my first step in home automation and already got stuck.
I recently bought the aeotec s2 usb stick and fibaro door/window sensor. Have a 30 days trial Indigo 6 installed.
Whatever i did i can not include the door/window sensor into the s2 stick.
I called the supplier and agreed to return and test the sensor at his system and got a brand new s2 stick.
Sensor was tested and worked perfectly ( no problem to be included in the Fibaro HC2 and Vera 3 system).
Tried to include again and again with the new s2 stick but still no success.
Any suggestion what i can do other than described in the delivered operating instructions?
Then the supplier asked me to check whether Indigo sees my s2 stick (correctly interfaced).
This is a question i can not answer. Can anybody tell me how to check whether Indigo sees my s2 stick at all?

Posted on
Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:08 am
autolog offline

Re: Is my s2 stick controller correctly interfaced?

Have you done what is documented in Connecting Z-Wave Interfaces ?

Posted on
Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:21 am
AEshton offline

Yes i did what is documented in Connecting z-wave interfaces. As a matter of fact i did it 3 times.
But the question is how can i check whether my s2 stick controller has been interfaced with Indigo correctly. :?:

Posted on
Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:42 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

If you enable the Z-Wave interface, and Indigo can't communicate with the Z-Stick, you'll see errors in the event log. Disable then enable the Z-Wave interface and watch the Event Log window for errors.

Where exactly are you failing in the process of adding the device? Is it successfully getting included with the Z-Stick? Or, when you add a new device in Indigo and select Z-Wave are you not seeing a new node available in the popup of the Define and Sync dialog? Or is it failing after that when it's trying to sync the device?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:39 am
AEshton offline

Thanks Jay. You answered my question. No error mentioned. Log Event says "Z-wave connected to Z-stick S2 interface on /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART (firmware 3.87)"

My problem is to successfully getting the Fibaro door/window sensor FGK 101-107 v2.1-v2.3 included with the Z-stick. I did exactly what is written in the operating instructions. Tens of times already. The 3 seconds steady lit of the Z-stick LED during inclusion does not appear.
I did want to update the Z-stick firmware but there is no firmware for the OS X. There is only a Windows exe update.

Maybe one of the members can help me with a suggestion. I am sure i am not the only one using the Fibaro door/window sensor. Am I?

Posted on
Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:31 am
colinpartridge offline

I recall struggling to get my Fibaro window sensor to get included. I think I had success by including using the tamper switch on the underside of the unit ( before fixing in place). The other thing to try would be to try excluding the device from the dongle before including.

Colin

Posted on
Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:46 am
AEshton offline

Thanks Colin. I did what you suggested a couple of times after excluding it first. But no luck yet. Do you use another brand of door/window sensor as well?
My 30 days Indigo trial is ending in 2 weeks time so i'm running out of time if i want to go for Indigo home automation.

AEshton

Posted on
Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:03 am
colinpartridge offline

I do recall patience being the order of the day with this particular device, have you tried pressing the tmp switch at different speeds? its unfortunate that you have picked probably the most awkward device to start with. Others Z-wave device are no where near as difficult to pair. Aeon do a door/window sensor but I haven't used it.

Colin

Posted on
Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:52 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi Aeshton,

From reports of others, the Fibaro door/window sensor is particularly difficult to sync but it should be possible. See the discussion on this forum thread for some tips.

Posted on
Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:56 am
AEshton offline

Re: [ANSWERED]: Is my s2 stick controller correctly interfac

Colin, i did tried pressing the tmp switch with different speeds. I also saw this recommendation at the Fibaro forum. Indeed what's left is a patience and try to include again and again.

Matt, stupid of me. I should have read this article before i decided to buy the Fibaro sensor. But thanks anyway, the thread gives some ways to try to include. I am also thinking to buy the Aeotec multisensor before i quit this home automation project. Are their also issues with this sensor? As i mentioned earlier i am running out of time with my 30 days trial version of the Indigo.

Posted on
Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:01 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

The Aeotec Multi Sensor has worked very well for me.

Posted on
Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:41 am
AEshton offline

As member colinpartidge says earlier " patience is the order of the day with this particular sensor", i tried and tried to include the past two days and finally got the sensor included in my z-stick.

In short this what i have done
1. Reset the door/window sensor as described in the operating instruction (removing and installing the battery etc.)
2. Put and press the sensor cover on a surface. Inside the cover there is a pin. By pressing the sensor the pin (i think) presses the inside tmp button. My sensor probably has a little to short pin and by pressing the sensor on a surface the inside tmp is pressed.
3. Tap the outside tmp button as quick and as many times(not only 3 times as the operating manual describes) as you can until the z-stick stops blinking for a moment indicating that the sensor is included. I am guessing that by pressing as many times as you can one of the three consecutive tapping that are correct has sent the include signal to the z-stick. But that is just guessing.
4. Run the standard procedure to interface with Indigo (add new device etc.)
5. While syncing tap the outside tmp button 3 times.

What a relief after 18 days of struggling. I do not think my next door/window sensor will be Fibaro one.
Hope this may help future Fibaro door/window sensor buyers.
The operating instruction is may be only applicable for including with a Fibaro HC2 unit.

Posted on
Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:48 am
colinpartridge offline

Glad to hear you got it included in the end, although 18 days must be some kind of record :D

Colin

Posted on
Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:32 pm
wideglidejrp offline

Cannot get z-stick to work. I got the SiLabsUSBDriverDisk.dmg and installed it. Does this driver work with Yosemite?

John R Patrick
Author of
Home Attitude

Posted on
Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:43 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

It is working on our Yosemite Macs here. What does the Serial Port popup control show as its options for the Z-Wave interface?

Page 1 of 1