Shopping List Suggestions !

Posted on
Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:10 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Shopping List Suggestions !

Awesome suggestions! Any good links / tips for those suggestions. I have a nest but was going to look at TRV's for all the radiators, as well as some nest protects. Good idea about a few iPads around the house for control too. Be interested to see what people recommend for rfid / driveway sensors (ours is a shared driveway). I haven't tried hue lights yet, only the Fibaro dimmers - but since I'm lacking in space for the dimmers to be installed that might be a good call

There is an iAutomate (I think is what it is called) plugin/forum for long range RFID - such that you could install on your vehicle(s) and trigger on a range; I have not tried it, but that is how I understand it to work.

I haven't tried any of the driveway sensors - I would LOVE to, but we get literally daily lightning storms during large parts of the year and that tends to set off the magnetic based sensors, so that's a no-go. There are a couple of IR beam ones, but I haven't tried them. There are also a couple of pressure sensors that you could install, say, walking up the steps to a porch. Search on smarthome.com maybe, but consider other sources of purchasing if they are carried locally or by Norm in the Indigo Store (not sure if he ships internationally, though).

Adam

Posted on
Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:06 pm
petematheson offline

iAutomate & RFID stuff looks awesome. I'm assuming that's a replacement for things like iFindit etc ?
It'd be great to have accurate tracking on when someone is at home.

I've added a starter kit and 2x keyfobs to the want list - so I can track 2 cars, plus me and my wife's keys, although she sometimes leaves her keys at home if we go out for the weekend. Something iPhone integrated would be more accurate perhaps for tracking people?

Posted on
Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:06 pm
petematheson offline

Also a question on LED strips.

Philips Hue or Fibaro?

Philips Hue seems simple, in that it should just plug and play - whereas Fibaro needs the RGBW dimmer, the led strip / power supply etc.. all sourced separately.

Posted on
Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:39 pm
DaveL17 offline

I went the Fibaro route due primarily to the fact that Indigo controls them directly, the unit has additional capacity for temperature and relays (which aren't yet supported) and the fact that the LED strips cut be cut and joined to size very easily. The stuff is still on the workbench, though. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:18 am
petematheson offline

If I can get iFindStuff working properly I'm going to drop the rfid tags, I think tracking a phone is better than car / keys. Plus my shopping list is around £5.5k so far which is quite excessive!

Posted on
Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:19 am
petematheson offline

I think the Philips hue can be cut DaveL? Fair point on the control of them directly though. I just like the simplicity of the bulbs, no faffing with electric wiring, especially as some of mine don't have space for the dimmers to be installed

Posted on
Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:24 am
DaveL17 offline

petematheson wrote:
I think the Philips hue can be cut DaveL?

That part, I don't know. Many of the generic strips can be cut every couple inches. This is the one that I wound up buying.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KQHQJ5C?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

Posted on
Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:53 am
petematheson offline

I bought a strip of these before:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KT28RTU/r ... SU4F&psc=1

Hooked them up in my garage but found the sticky side of them wasn't sticky enough and the lights all fell down a few days later :(
Looked good though!

Just realised it does actually work out cheaper to use Fibaro RGBW's and LED strips vs Philips, since philips are only 2m strips vs the circa 5m you get separately!

Posted on
Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:06 pm
DaveL17 offline

Yeah, I haven't tried to mount them anywhere yet, and was suspicious of the adhesive. Good to know that I shouldn't rely on it! There must be a way to either staple through the strip (safely) or install some kind of tab across the tape to hold it.

Dave

Posted on
Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:07 pm
petematheson offline

To be fair I was trying to get it to stick to the underside of wooden shelves. Maybe something more glossy or plastic would bond much better. I thought about staples too.