How have you sorted your devices

Posted on
Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:55 pm
steinis offline

How have you sorted your devices

How have you sorted your devices in Indigo?

One thing that I'm missing is the posebility of maken a sub folder for each physical device. Like a motion sensor contains motion, temp, lux etc. now I need to make one device for each, right?

Posted on
Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:13 pm
johnpolasek offline

Re: How have you sorted your devices

For me, form follows function; items that are in specific rooms are grouped by room (Den Lignt, Den Lamp, Entertainment Center, Motion Detector, Back door (from the Den) Den Te,mperature, etc, while those that aren't (My power monitor and BLE presence detection devices, for example) each have their own folder. However, I rarely go to the actual devices unless I need to see something specific like battery level; Most of my interactions are through Control Pages, and I have multiple pages with different control icons depending on what I am looking at; security cameras, setting mood lighting, shifting AC schedules, making sure all the lights are off at bedtime, etc.

Posted on
Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:58 pm
DaveL17 offline

Like John, I sort my devices into rooms (I went ahead and created folders for every room in my house even though some rooms don't have any devices in them) and also add the room name to the device name. "Outdoor - Front Porch Lights" allows me to browse the Outdoor folder and/or use the quick search bar at the top of the device pane. You sometimes pick up a few stragglers when using the search bar (i.e., I use an outdoor appliance module in the attic and that will show), but it's manageable. If you wanted to be extra special, you could enclose the room name in some special way--like {Outdoor}--then when you search with the curly braces, you're pretty sure you'll only get room names.

Works for me anyway.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
Dave
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-08-30 at 7.54.21 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-08-30 at 7.54.21 PM.png (69.15 KiB) Viewed 2659 times

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:04 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Pretty much the exact same as Dave does. The rooms help me find what I'm looking for when looking at the Indigo main window while having the room name in the device name lets me find it easily on comboboxes.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:31 am
steinis offline

great:)

I had started with som numbering at the beggning "01 Kitchen Dimmer overall", "02 Kitchen Dimmer under bench" etc.

But you have a better solution:)

Coming from a Homeseer and need to think a little different on how the devices are used. In HS everthing is there right away as devices (On good and bad) but in Indigo everything needs to be added manualy.

Posted on
Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:38 am
jalves offline

I've taken a different tact. I've got a fairly small house and often will want to control devices in different rooms. Instead, I sort them by type of device. All lights in one folder, sensors (temp, lux, movement, etc) in another, etc. I do the same for schedules and triggers.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:53 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

jalves wrote:
I do the same for schedules and triggers.

For my triggers and schedules I do something a little different. Because I have so many of both I try to name them categorically, so my day-to-day stuff would be named "Daily - Wake Up" or "Weekend - Close Curtains", my triggers "Weather - Temps Over 90 - Close Curtains" and "Motion - Office Motion Detected - Turn on Light".

It's interesting to see what others are doing, and what works for one doesn't always work for another. Either way, its a great way to get ideas and think "Hmmm, that could be helpful".

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:01 pm
PvG offline

I use the following naming convention for everything (devices, triggers, action groups, variables, ...):
<floor>.<room>.<function>

E.g.:
0.livingroom.motion
1.bathroom.light

For functions covering multiple rooms, I use e.g.:
alarm.motionsensor
alarm.siren

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:53 am
ArchOlson offline

Hi...in my case I sort my devices into rooms and also add the room name to the device name. "Outdoor - Front Porch Lights" allows me to browse the Outdoor folder or use the quick search bar at the top of the device pane. You sometimes pick up a few stragglers when using the search bar , but it's manageable. If you wanted to be extra special, you could enclose the room name in some special way.

cheap pcb assembly

Page 1 of 1