Running the Trial Now - Some observations/questions

Posted on
Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:48 pm
Busta999 offline

Running the Trial Now - Some observations/questions

Hi

I have spent the last few months reviewing next steps in Home automation and have recently found some time and have looked long and hard at it and have come to the following conclusion.

Based upon:-

I am UK based
I have 20/30 Lightwaverf devices
I have a load of old JSJS 433.92Mhz wireless sockets that would be good if I can bring them under the Indigo umbrella
I have 12 Hue lights
I have Nest Smoke Detectors
I am a Plex User
I use Harmony Hub
I use an Onkyo Receiver
I have Byron 433.92Mhz Door Bell
I have Foscam external cameras
I use AirFoil
I use iTunes
I am a long term mac user with several Macs
I have scripting/command line experience but don't really want go down too much of a rabbit hole there

Seems like the best solution for me to bring all this together would be Open Hab (high learning curve - potential high maintenance), Vera Plus (promising but certainly appears a tad unreliable) Homeseer (looked good but expensive and very USA centric so most of the devices it will support won't work in the UK)

So Indigo Pro looks good hence the trial started today. I have downloaded the indigo iOS App and Home Remote iOS App and will start playing with those tomorrow.

Issues to date:-

1. Only 8 of the 12 Hue lights can be loaded into Indigo (maybe a limitation of the trial) - All the 4 upstairs Hue lights don't show up.

2. The Lightwaverf plugin just won;t connect to the Lightwaverf controller. I have ordered RfxCon E version and should get it tomorrow so hopefully can get Lightwaverf running.

Tomorrow i should be able to get LightwaveRf running and then I can start on Triggers, Schedules and Action groups.

Later in the week look at Control Pages and adding in everything I can.

Posted on
Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:57 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: Running the Trial Now - Some observations/questions

I predict that you will not be disappointed. There are many UK (and EU) users of Indigo and there is a great community here. I can't answer your specific questions because I don't know that hardware; but more generally, I believe Indigo to be the most stable of the options you mentioned. I came from Vera in 2013 and have never looked back.

Cheers,
Dave

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:15 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

1) If you have 20 devices already defined, including the 8 that are working, then that's the problem: the trial limits the device count to 20. If not, the Hue plugin is from a 3rd party developer, so you might want to ask for assistance over there. He's usually very responsive.

2) As mentioned in the File Library entry, the Lightwave RF plugin is no longer maintained by the author (nor has it been for a while). I believe you'll find the RFXCOM plugin well supported by the developer and RFXCOM itself.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:47 am
Busta999 offline

Thanks for the responses.

I only have 8 items in Indigo right now.

The Lightwaverf plugin doesn't work/no longer supported and the Hue plug in will only 'see' 8 of the 12 lights can't see either of the two Hue switches - which I am assuming is a limit of the Trial Version.

The RFXCON arrives in about an hour :-)

Mike

Posted on
Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:14 am
howartp offline

How many devices have you created in Indigo so far? As Jay says, the trial will only let you have 20.

There's no trial limit on only having 8 Hue's, the limit is on total number of devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:02 am
benip offline

Hi

I too am UK based, and have very recently started with Indigo. I lasted about a week with the trial before I paid for a full copy - I was desperate to get past the 20 device limit. I now have about 50 various devices including 14 Philips Hue bulbs which are all working well with the Hue plugin. I also have four switches and a scene controller but they work direct with the Hue hub, outside of Indigo. My only suggestion would be to reload the Hue device list in the plugin, but I'm sure you'll find far more useful help on here than mine!

I have started with Z-wave devices and have been looking at LightwaveRF so will be interested to know how you get on with those as well.

Ben

Posted on
Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:28 am
Busta999 offline

OK making extremely good progress!!!!

The RFXCon up and running!!

Worked out the Hue limit issue - Of course it was my ignorance - Doh!! I have three different types of Hue Full Colour, White Only and Friends of Hue. They are added as separate - got them working now.

Just had a GREAT Result - the very dream that I have been trying to solve for several years has all come to be!!

I have just setup up a Lightwaverf remote control to switch on both a Lightwaverf socket and an Hue light with one button on the Lightwaverf remote - RESULT!!!!

THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on
Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:35 am
Busta999 offline

Benip

I have buckets of Lightwaverf (LW) that work OK, pretty reliable - certainly not an issue there.

Obvious limit is that you cannot check if the device actually did what you asked it to - it is very much fire and hope it worked, to give it credit it pretty much does as asked.

My litmus test of success/defeat is the wife. Which I suspect is pretty much a universal test :-)

She has been using the LW stuff for a few years now and I have had no complaints from her she likes it.

I started adding Hue a year ago and I have had to pretty much set Hue with timers so that she doesn't have to use her phone for a remote (for some reason that just does not please her)

I have dozens of LW remotes and now I can use them for mixed scene - Yeeeeehaa and she just has a familiar remote handy.

I use a mix of native LW and the Siemens UK variety form B&Q without issue and I have managed to purchase them at silly low prices when B&Q realise they are not selling - so i bought up loads of it.

Posted on
Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:27 pm
Different Computers offline

Hue

Adding thoughts to this thread:

I'm transitioning from SmartThings. Can I use the Hue Plugin to Indigo without having to delete the Hue Bridge from SmartThings? It might allow for a less painful transition.

Edit: The answer is apparently yes.

Ironic that I'm having an easier time with my zigbee lights than my z-wave stuff. No exclusions! Just add them to my Hue Hub and Indigo sees them fine.

Sonoma on a Mac Mini M1 running Airfoil Pro, Bond Home, Camect, Roku Network Remote, Hue Lights, DomoPad, Adapters, Home Assistant Agent, HomeKitLinkSiri, EPS Smart Dimmer, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Grafana. UnifiAP

Page 1 of 1