Once again sick of SmartThings. Zigbee???

Posted on
Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:06 pm
Different Computers offline

Once again sick of SmartThings. Zigbee???

Hi all,

I've been away for a while, putting energy into my SmartThings set up. Got it working better.

Until last night.

Suddenly my Hue Bridge stopped communicating with ST. After spending most of the afternoon with ST support, we're still not through the tedious process of removing devices so they can be re-added.

As this happened for NO REASON, I'm about at the end of my patience with SmartThings. I posted a bunch around the new year here, excited about Indigo. I am again. But I still face the problem that wasn't answered easily by searching these forums: Is there any movement on Zigbee support?

I see an Alexa/Hue bridge, but no Hue support mentioned. Is Hue supported by Indigo? I also recall a project to use the ST hub as a bridge. Did that go anywhere, and if so is it reliable?

Sonoma on a Mac Mini M1 running Airfoil Pro, Bond Home, Camect, Roku Network Remote, Hue Lights, DomoPad, Adapters, Home Assistant Agent, HomeKitLinkSiri, EPS Smart Dimmer, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Grafana. UnifiAP

Posted on
Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:48 am
wiery offline

Re: Once again sick of SmartThings. Zigbee???

Yeah there is a Hue plugin. I've just changed some Z-Wave plug adapters on lamps to the New Hue White bulbs and they work brilliantly. You just pair the plugin with the Hue bridge and add your devices.

Posted on
Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:41 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Nothing new to report on the ZigBee front on our end. ZigBee support is definitely on our radar though, but right now improved Z-Wave support is one of our top priorities. It is possible for a 3rd party to develop a ZigBee plugin for Indigo of course, although that would be non-trivial (I have not heard any reports of anyone working on one yet).

Posted on
Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:48 pm

Made the plunge. STcanning SmartThings.

OK, I've done it.

I've started stripping out ST's "smartApps", bringing the system down to minimums. Just bought the Z-stick Gen 5 I'll need to have Indigo Trial talk to my devices. Almost certainly buying Home Director as well, because I'm particularly interested in making sure presence detection works well.

I think I can put time into doing the transition this weekend.

And if the stick doesn't arrive, I'll start by working on my audio automation. Now, I'm not going to get an Alexa. In the past I've experimented with the native Mac OS speech recognition for triggering some commands and it works well though good audio in is the real challenge.

Can someone point to some slick ways that you've integrated iTunes into your Indigo? I know the plug in is built in, but I'm particularly curious about Airplay support and managing iTunes on a different computer than Indigo runs on.

Is there someone here who has successfully joined GE Link bulbs to the Hue hub and then controlled it with Indigo? Any tricks for doing this? Also on the topic of Hue: I have a V1 Hue hub. Is there a powerful reason I should immediately go for the Gen 2 hub that supports HomeKit?

I'm very interested in hearing from people who have made this same transition from ST to Indigo!

Sonoma on a Mac Mini M1 running Airfoil Pro, Bond Home, Camect, Roku Network Remote, Hue Lights, DomoPad, Adapters, Home Assistant Agent, HomeKitLinkSiri, EPS Smart Dimmer, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Grafana. UnifiAP

Posted on
Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:04 pm
canalrun offline

Hello,
I made the switch to Indigo from SmartThings about three months ago.

The difference is just absolutely incredible – Indigo has been rock solid and every time I look at it I am more impressed.

I sold all my Zigbee and SmartThings stuff on eBay and switched to a Z-Stick and Z-Wave. I now greatly prefer Z-Wave versus Zigbee.

I have five GE link LED bulbs. I just put them in fixtures and then control the fixtures using a plug-in Z-Wave wall outlet. This works well for me.

My setup is probably pretty simple compared to what you have in mind. I mainly just have bulbs, motion detectors, a doorbell, and smoke detector.

Barry.

Posted on
Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:38 pm
DaveL17 offline

canalrun wrote:
My setup is probably pretty simple compared to what you have in mind. I mainly just have bulbs, motion detectors, a doorbell, and smoke detector.

Barry.

For now. :D

Hi. My name is Dave and I'm an Indigo-holic.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:59 pm

canalrun wrote:

Thanks for the reassurance that it's not too painful a transition. I look forward to reliability!!

My setup isn't very complex currently. No doorbell, just lights, contacts and motion sensors. And PRESENCE. Presence really worries me. While other people had lots of probs with ST's presence, it worked pretty well for me. My wife and I both have iPhones, and I'm also experimenting with an iBeacon.

I also use an old iPad I as a control panel. Since it's limited to iOS 5, I bet there isn't any support for current Indigo Touch, so I imagine it will have to rely on control pages. SmartTiles was one excellent piece of ST that I'll miss, but I'm sure it's possible to do similar with control pages.

Posted on
Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:19 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I also use an old iPad I as a control panel. Since it's limited to iOS 5, I bet there isn't any support for current Indigo Touch, so I imagine it will have to rely on control pages. SmartTiles was one excellent piece of ST that I'll miss, but I'm sure it's possible to do similar with control pages.

Ummm, hello! Excuse to upgrade! :) Kidding aside, control pages do take time to create, but you can get a pretty basic one setup relatively quickly and improve it over time. I would suggest that most people using iPads or Android tablets as dedicated control panels are actually using control pages... reserving the "browsing" style interface for mobile devices. I'm sure there are some suggestions but based upon the forum chatter, I think the majority does it that way.

Adam

Page 1 of 1