Sensible Trial

Posted on
Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:29 pm
canalrun offline

Sensible Trial

Hello,
I'm considering switch from Smart things to Indigo. I've downloaded the trial software and installed it on my Mac mini. I've looked at the pages, but a real trial really means that I have to buy some hardware, for Z-wave, in my case.

I can purchase the Aeon Gen 5 Z-stick. From what I read I also need a module – an appliance module. I can buy the GE Z-wave appliance module. It appears to be the same as the Evolve appliance module that they sell with their starter kit.

A few questions:
Is the GE Z-wave appliance module the same as the Evolved module? The starter kit mentions that a module such as this is required along with the Z-stick. What is the keyword that I am looking for to make sure I am buying the correct type of hardware?

Can the Indigo Z-wave system coexist with a SmartThings system which includes a few Z-wave devices?

Thanks,
Barry.

Posted on
Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:08 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: Sensible Trial

Hi Barry - to test the Z-Wave aspects of Indigo you will need a controller and something to control. The Z-Wave controller is bridge between Indigo and your Z-Wave devices. You can have multiple Z-Wave controllers in your environment, but INDIGO CAN ONLY WORK WITH ONE Z-WAVE CONTROLLER AT A TIME. In other words, Indigo and Smart Things can co-exist. You will also need something to control, hence the Z-Wave module. The GE and Evolve modules may indeed be the same (I don't know) but they will likely perform exactly the same in Indigo. It's important to note that Z-Wave modules will only talk to one Z-Wave controller at a time, but modules can generally be moved from one Z-Wave controller to another very easily.

Your setup would go something like this.
Install the appropriate Z-Wave driver for your environment,
Plug in your appliance module.
Press an hold the button on the Z-Stick until the light is flashing slowly to start the inclusion process.
Place the Z-Stick near the appliance module, and press the button on the appliance module to include it.
The Z-Stick light should flash quickly for a moment, then return to slow.
Press the button on the Z-Stick to end the inclusion process.
Insert the Z-Stick directly into your Mac (avoid USB hubs and extension cables.)
Include the appliance module as a new Indigo device within the Indigo software..

Hope this is helpful.
Dave

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Page 1 of 1