Why would I buy Wink?

Posted on
Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:01 pm
justlen offline

Why would I buy Wink?

Hi. I've been an Indigo user since I don't know when. Not the most complex user, but it has grown over time with me and it meets all my needs perfectly.

What's the deal with this Wink thing? What's the advantage?

Best I can tell is it allows someone to plug a $50 device into the wall rather than run a server. Other than that I'm just not seeing it.

Am I missing something?

Posted on
Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:08 pm
justlen offline

Re: Why would I buy Wink?

And from what I am reading it's as unreliable as a teenage girl. Unlike Indigo, where I don't have to worry when I am out of town and we have a power outage. My server reboots and everything works. That's all my tech-less Wife cares about.

Posted on
Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:26 pm
durosity offline

None as best I can tell. A lot of these services require Internet connectivity (and afaik wink is one of them) so if your connection is lost you have extreme difficulty activating said devices. I do like their egg counting device though...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:40 pm
DaveL17 offline

Why would I buy Wink?

Wasn't Wink one of the companies that decided to throw in the towel? Matt and Jay Tweeted not too long ago about some companies that were soon to be no more...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by DaveL17 on Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:08 am
ac4lt offline

I read that Wink is looking for a buyer so depending on how it goes those who have it may find their service no longer working before too long. First, Google/Nest shut down Revolv and now Wink is on the verge of disappearing. I don't know if SmartThings is making money for Samsung yet but one has to wonder...

Posted on
Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:33 pm
Chameleon offline

I agree. If was thinking of watching a technology off watch Nest and Google carefully. When Nest Weave comes out for developers can see a lot of integration activity supported by Google.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 1