Question on making for Icon names

Posted on
Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:35 am
norcoscia offline

Question on making for Icon names

I have been trying to create icons for my control pages - I'm using the weather Underground plug-in to map my weather Icons to the forecast conditions for "Today", "Day2" and "Day3" - I'm have problems with the icons showing up correctly.

I'm naming my Icons

MYweather+.png
MYweather+partlycloudly.png
Myweather+mostlycloudly.png

For the current day it seems to work but for day 2 and day 3 the MYweather+partlycloudly.png and Myweather+mostlycloudly.png don't seem to line up and look to be reversed or displaying the the default.

Should I be matching to the exact words that I see (without the spaces) in the forecast condition day 2 and day 3 fields exactly or something else?

Thanks for your help in advance - using weather underground v 1.1.11

_______
Norm

Posted on
Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:55 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: Question on making for Icon names

Hi - thanks for reaching out.

The image names need to follow the potential device state values precisely in order for them to work properly in Indigo. Your naming convention looks right, just make sure that the bit that follows the '+' matches the way that Weather Underground populates that information. The list of potential values can be found here: https://www.wunderground.com/weather/api/d/docs?d=resources/phrase-glossary. Look for the section that describes icon names under Forecast Description Phrases.

Please report back on your progress. I'm happy to help.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:12 am
norcoscia offline

I really have checked this about 20 times, restarted Indigo, cleared the image cache on the IPAD client. Changed ICON names - but no mater what I do the .png files don't resolve properly for the Day 2 and Day3 Icons corresponding to the values in https://www.wunderground.com/weather/ap ... e-glossary under Forecast Description Phrases. Is it possible that the images for day 2 and 3 are pointing to the forecast for some other day?

Thanks for helping :-)

PS - I even had my wife look at it and she has a CS degree - she said something is not working properly, which is what I think - but impossible to be 100% sure....

_______
Norm

Posted on
Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:46 am
norcoscia offline

I have messed with this more - problem seems to be with day 2 icon mapping to the default image vice the match - i think....

Right now the day 2 (for me) should be partly cloudy and is showing the default Icon

Also, it looks like the day 3 icon is pulling the image for day 2 forecast. Day 3 is mostly cloudy and is displaying the partly cloudy PNG I made.

_______
Norm

Posted on
Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:55 pm
DaveL17 offline

norcoscia wrote:
I have messed with this more - problem seems to be with day 2 icon mapping to the default image vice the match - i think....

Right now the day 2 (for me) should be partly cloudy and is showing the default Icon

Also, it looks like the day 3 icon is pulling the image for day 2 forecast. Day 3 is mostly cloudy and is displaying the partly cloudy PNG I made.

Hmmm. Sorry that you're having so much trouble. I'll see what I can find.

In order to make sure that I'm looking in the right place, can you confirm that you're using the WUnderground Weather device type (not the 10-Day or 24-Hour Forecast devices)?

Posted on
Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:01 pm
norcoscia offline

Yes - see below - thanks for the help!
Attachments
2017-09-05_15-01-00.png
2017-09-05_15-01-00.png (47.36 KiB) Viewed 4024 times

_______
Norm

Posted on
Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:05 pm
norcoscia offline

Here are PNGs and resulting screen images
Attachments
2017-09-05_15-02-57.png
2017-09-05_15-02-57.png (54.46 KiB) Viewed 4023 times
2017-09-05_15-04-03.png
2017-09-05_15-04-03.png (41.55 KiB) Viewed 4023 times

_______
Norm

Posted on
Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:19 pm
DaveL17 offline

Okay, that helps. I think I see what's going on.

For the WUnderground Weather device type, the fields:
Forecast Conditions - Today
Forecast Conditions - Day 2
Forecast Conditions - Day 3
Forecast Conditions - Day 4

are mapped to narrative short strings like "Partly Cloudy" and "Chance of Rain". These aren't meant to be used for icon mapping.

The only icon names that are available in the WUnderground Weather device type are:
Current Conditions - Icon (All Day)
Current Conditions - Icon (Day/Night)
Detailed Forecast - Icon 1 through 8.

The current conditions values are current; that is, right now. The last one alternates between day time and night time forecasts depending on the time of day. In other words, Detailed Forecast - Icon 1 for me right now is today's night time forecast. When I get up tomorrow it will be tomorrow's day time forecast. So you can't use those if you want all-day icons for today and the next 3 days.

I think your best bet is to create a WUnderground 10-Day Forecast Device and then link to the following fields.
Icon - Day 1
Icon - Day 2
Icon - Day 3
Icon - Day 4

That *should* get you going. Please let me know if it solves your problem.

It's no solace to you, but I'll look to add 4 day's worth of icon names for the WUnderground Weather device going forward. They should already be there; it was an oversight.

Posted on
Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:30 pm
norcoscia offline

OK, I just switched to the 10 day forecast and pointed at those ICON fields- all is working now - easy fix - thanks so much for the help and the fantastic plus-in :-)

_______
Norm

Posted on
Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:21 pm
DaveL17 offline

norcoscia wrote:
OK, I just switched to the 10 day forecast and pointed at those ICON fields- all is working now - easy fix - thanks so much for the help and the fantastic plus-in :-)

Excellent. Thanks for letting me know.

Page 1 of 1