Understanding Icon States

Posted on
Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:34 pm
CraigM offline

Understanding Icon States

While testing the plugin I'm noticing that icon states don't seem to match the different WU devices, or match the actual weather condition.

Does each WU device type share the same data feed or does each get a different one?

Here are some samples of what I'm seeing:

These 4 are displayed at the same time
WF- icon day1.png
10 Day Forecast device-icon day1
WF- icon day1.png (11.25 KiB) Viewed 1656 times
WF-C day1.png
10 Day Forecast device-conditions day1
WF-C day1.png (4.03 KiB) Viewed 1656 times
W-CC weather.png
Weather device-Current Condition weather
W-CC weather.png (3.57 KiB) Viewed 1656 times
W-CC icon DN.png
Weather device-Current Condition Day/Night icon
W-CC icon DN.png (11.66 KiB) Viewed 1656 times

These 4 are displayed at the same time
WF-icon day1_2.png
10 Day Forecast device-icon day1
WF-icon day1_2.png (11.19 KiB) Viewed 1656 times
WF-C day1_2.png
10 Day Forecast device-conditions day1
WF-C day1_2.png (5.89 KiB) Viewed 1656 times
W-CC weather_2.png
Weather device-Current Condition weather
W-CC weather_2.png (4.4 KiB) Viewed 1656 times
W-CC icon DN_2.png
Weather device-Current Condition Day/Night icon
W-CC icon DN_2.png (8.66 KiB) Viewed 1656 times

One would think that being updated every 5 minutes, the Forecast Condition would match the Current Condition

Posted on
Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:49 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: Understanding Icon States

I'll take a look, but that's likely a WU data issue.

I don't do anything within the plugin but translate the data we get from WU into something that Indigo can understand.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:50 am
DaveL17 offline

This is a combination of factors I think. I can see why forecast condition and current conditions could differ. For example, it may be sunny now, but the day's forecast calls for rain. I would suspect that the forecast would be provided for what WU believes to be the predominant weather condition for the day, rather than what's happening at the moment. I also think that WU doesn't update their forecast data at the same frequency that they do current conditions data. I don't know this for sure as I don't think WU exposes data on when the forecast information was last updated.

So I wouldn't characterize it as a data issue per se, but can see your point about how under certain circumstances the two should match. If it's raining outside right now, and the forecast is for a '50% chance of rain' -- shouldn't the forecast be '100% chance of rain'? :D

If you see anything else that doesn't look quite right, please do let me know.
Dave

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:58 am
RogueProeliator offline

So I wouldn't characterize it as a data issue per se, but can see your point about how under certain circumstances the two should match. If it's raining outside right now, and the forecast is for a '50% chance of rain' -- shouldn't the forecast be '100% chance of rain'? :D

Actually, no it shouldn't... One thing to keep in mind is that the percentage chance of rain is not technically the percentage chance that YOU will get rain, but rather they are predicting that it WILL rain some amount over 50% (or whatever percentage they give) of the forecast area. So raining at your particular time does not indicate it should be 100% chance. ;-)

This is actually why people think meteorologists are so incorrect. For instance, in our area, about 80% of the population lives in about 25% of the coverage / forecast area. So when they predict, say, a 40% chance of rain and they actually get it right with 40% of their coverage area receiving precipitation they did a good job. Only thing is if that 40% all was outside of the main population area then 80% of the people think they got it wrong.

Anyway, this might explain some discrepancies as well as MAYBE explain some others -- if an extended forecast, for instance, is a more general prediction over a larger area then the conditions and precipitation could differ. Obviously some WAG, but without knowing their models and such I don't know that we should expect everything to match up.

Adam

Page 1 of 1