Weather Underground Plugin

Posted on
Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:42 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: Weather Underground Plugin

Where are you looking? I believe that the "official" links are up to date.

The primary link for the plugin is:
https://davel17.github.io/WUnderground/

You can also go directly to the releases page here:
https://github.com/DaveL17/WUnderground/releases

You can also use the link in my forum signature.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:30 am
Different Computers offline

I followed the link at the start of this thread, post 1.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:58 am

That got it. But now when I upgrade, I immediately see
Code: Select all
 WUnderground Error              Error downloading satellite image. Error: (Line 893  [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'file:///Users/mike/Pictures/WUnderground/radar.jpg')

I particularly notice "No such file or directory: u'file:///"

Looking in the plugin config, I don't see a place to specify this. Maybe this is something I did months ago and don't recall, but then why does it show up as an WUnderground error?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:05 pm
DaveL17 offline

Different Computers wrote:
I followed the link at the start of this thread, post 1.

Whoops. I have fixed that. Sorry for the confusion.

Posted on
Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:14 pm
DaveL17 offline

I particularly notice "No such file or directory: u'file:///"

Looking in the plugin config, I don't see a place to specify this. Maybe this is something I did months ago and don't recall, but then why does it show up as an WUnderground error?

That one is for the satellite image downloader device type. The setting to specify the link is set in the device's properties.

Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 2.07.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 2.07.55 PM.png (80.96 KiB) Viewed 4530 times

I don't recall changing anything related to this device type for quite some time--but that doesn't mean that I haven't. :D

The plugin is looking for a location that doesn't appear to exist.

Posted on
Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:29 pm

Ha! Just pulled this up to report that I found it.

Testing now to make sure it works. Looks like there was a change in how it handles file paths. Thanks!

Edit: Working perfectly now! Seems an older version of the plugin allowed specifying "file:///" for the location.

Posted on
Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:14 am
DaveL17 offline

Ha! Just pulled this up to report that I found it.

Testing now to make sure it works. Looks like there was a change in how it handles file paths. Thanks!

Edit: Working perfectly now! Seems an older version of the plugin allowed specifying "file:///" for the location.

OK, I see it now. The destination location is a plain path, but the default that comes up when you first create the device DOES include file:/// and it shouldn't. This will be fixed in the next release. Thanks for reporting back.

Posted on
Thu May 11, 2017 4:19 pm
wideglidejrp offline

I have just installed the WU plugin and have a question. As the wiki suggested, the device of most interest to me is the Current Weather Conditions with short-term (day/night) forecast. When I add a device, however, I do not see that choice. Here is what I see. How can I add the device for the Current Weather Conditions?
Attachments
Screenshot 2017-05-11 18.15.31.png
Screenshot 2017-05-11 18.15.31.png (21.44 KiB) Viewed 4334 times

Posted on
Thu May 11, 2017 5:12 pm
DaveL17 offline

wideglidejrp wrote:
I have just installed the WU plugin and have a question. As the wiki suggested, the device of most interest to me is the Current Weather Conditions with short-term (day/night) forecast. When I add a device, however, I do not see that choice. Here is what I see. How can I add the device for the Current Weather Conditions?

Apologies. The device you're looking for is the WUnderground Weather device. I will make the Wiki more clear.

I hope you find the plugin useful.

Posted on
Thu May 11, 2017 6:55 pm
wideglidejrp offline

Thank you very much for the quick reply. That is the device I chose. I then created an action to update the weather and then another to insert info into variables. I am not quite clear on where I am going from here. I have two goals:

1. I want to capture the current weather and short term forecast. How do I find the short term forecast? Is that a string of text?
2. I want to announce the weather and forecast using Ivona in Indigo. Any suggestions on this? I do it currently with temp and humidity from a Multisensor 6.

I am currently writing a new book about home automation. Would you be willing to have a phone chat about the subject. I would be very grateful to get your insight to weather aspects.
You can find info about me at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_R._Patrick I can be reached directly at john@johnpatrick.com, which also designates my website. Thanks, Dave.

John R Patrick
Author of
Home Attitude

Posted on
Thu May 11, 2017 9:06 pm
DaveL17 offline

wideglidejrp wrote:
Thank you very much for the quick reply. That is the device I chose. I then created an action to update the weather and then another to insert info into variables. I am not quite clear on where I am going from here. I have two goals:

1. I want to capture the current weather and short term forecast. How do I find the short term forecast? Is that a string of text?
2. I want to announce the weather and forecast using Ivona in Indigo. Any suggestions on this? I do it currently with temp and humidity from a Multisensor 6.

I am currently writing a new book about home automation. Would you be willing to have a phone chat about the subject. I would be very grateful to get your insight to weather aspects.
You can find info about me at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_R._Patrick I can be reached directly at john@johnpatrick.com, which also designates my website. Thanks, Dave.

Hi John - a few notes.

There's no need to create an action to update the weather--although it's obviously an option. The plugin will automatically update the data based on the time interval set in the plugin configuration dialog. I believe it's set to update every 15 minutes as the default. You didn't mention it, but I presume that you've obtained a Weather Underground API Key which is critical in order to use the plugin. There's no need to insert the data into variables for things like control page display. Depending on how you are integrating Ivona, the use of variables might be required.

1. The current weather and short-term forecast are both captured as custom devices states within the WUnderground Weather device. The short-term forecast is a string, and is captured in several custom states including 'foreText1, foreText2, etc., foreTextLong and foreTextShort'.
  2. Integrating data for Ivona speech will depend on how you want to go about the integration. It's likely very similar to the way that you do it with the multisensor.

I would be happy to chat with you about weather data as it relates to home automation. Perhaps we should take the discussion offline--please send me a PM and we'll work out the details.

Posted on
Fri May 12, 2017 6:26 am
wideglidejrp offline

The more I see of this plugin, the more awesome it is. Question: where do the custom states appear in Indigo? I see on my iPad in the devices view, but not in Indigo on Mac. I will send PM on other discussion.

John R Patrick
Author of
Home Attitude

Posted on
Fri May 12, 2017 7:33 am
DaveL17 offline

wideglidejrp wrote:
The more I see of this plugin, the more awesome it is. Question: where do the custom states appear in Indigo? I see on my iPad in the devices view, but not in Indigo on Mac. I will send PM on other discussion.

Thanks for the kind words. The custom states are below the device details pane in the Indigo main UI. When Apple decided that we didn't need scroll bars anymore, this pane has become somewhat of a hidden treasure. :D Fortunately, if you are so inclined, Apple has provided a way to turn them back on again (which I have done on all my boxes.)

I need to get back to work or they'll stop paying me. I'll respond to your PM later today. Cheers!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 8.31.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 8.31.51 AM.png (48.81 KiB) Viewed 4277 times

Posted on
Sat May 13, 2017 3:38 am
wideglidejrp offline

I would like the short term forecast to show 60 not 60F.

John R Patrick
Author of
Home Attitude

Posted on
Sat May 13, 2017 5:33 am
DaveL17 offline

Hi John - the temperature representation of '60F' (or '15.6C') is formatted in the data as it arrives from Weather Underground. If you want to strip out the temperature units character, you could do it with a simple Python script and save the modified value to an Indigo variable. I can explain further if needed.

Code: Select all
import re  # import regex
dev = indigo.devices[12345678]  # the source weather device ID
line = re.sub('([0-9]+)[F|C]', '\g<1>', dev.states['foreText1'])  # the pattern match, see below
indigo.variable.updateValue(12345678, line)  # the destination variable ID

The pattern match:
[0-9]+ <== One or more digits
( ) <== Create a capture group to remember the digits
[F|C] <== Either 'F' or 'C'
\g<1> <== Replace with the digits we remembered
dev.states['foreText1'] <== The source text.

Thunderstorms during the morning will give way to cloudy skies this afternoon. High 23.1C. Winds E at 10.1 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 90%.

Becomes:

Thunderstorms during the morning will give way to cloudy skies this afternoon. High 23.1. Winds E at 10.1 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 90%.

Page 51 of 56 1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 56