Sample WUnderground Control Pages

Posted on
Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:40 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Sample WUnderground Control Pages

Looking good there Adam. Really like that you've been able to cram so much into one screen. And proud to be part of the engine.

Thanks! It isn't so crammed on my 22" monitor for which that is designed, but it IS too crammed for my phone/tablet... I may make a separate control page for those, but then again I usually just use the devices area and not control pages on my phone. I do need to do a scaled-down (or split up into multiple pages) version for my wife's "weather console" tablet.

How do you accomplish the pop-over for the alerts? It's a nice touch, but I'm guessing it's not just straight up Indigo control pages.

Standard control pages, but with the addition of a little friend I call HousePad! :-) The latest version can open any control page up in a popup when you select the "Open in a new window" option within the Indigo control page editor. On web or iPad it falls back to opening the target control page normally (i.e. not as a popup).

Anyway, wanted to share as I am happy with the weather page for the first time in a LONG time, and extremely happy with the plugin.

Adam

Posted on
Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:26 pm
DaveL17 offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
Standard control pages, but with the addition of a little friend I call HousePad! :-)

Very cool!

I've been thinking that a guy could achieve the same (as an illusion) by just applying an opacity filter on a picture of the other page as a background image...

Dave

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:32 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I've been thinking that a guy could achieve the same (as an illusion) by just applying an opacity filter on a picture of the other page as a background image...

Any transparent parts of the background image will actually show the background color defined on your control page, I am pretty sure... so I don't think it is possible that way (could be wrong here, but that is my understanding).

I want to do a similar popup for a historical graph, but I haven't yet decided what exact information and format I will use for the graph... #FirstWorldProblems

Adam

Posted on
Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:12 pm
DaveL17 offline

Hey Adam - just clearing some stuff off the decks and wanted to respond to this. Here's a proof of concept.

The pop-over is the same size as the control page. The background (of the pop-over) is black and set to something like 60 percent opacity. The "show-through" -- in this case my weather page -- is actually a phony (screen cap of the weather page). It's not a true pop-over, but it achieves the effect.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-03-24 at 7.58.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-24 at 7.58.06 PM.png (131.1 KiB) Viewed 2204 times

Posted on
Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:40 pm
RogueProeliator offline

The "show-through" -- in this case my weather page -- is actually a phony (screen cap of the weather page). It's not a true pop-over, but it achieves the effect.

That's cheating. :-)

Posted on
Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:43 pm
RogueProeliator offline

It would be somewhat of a pain, but seems like you could achieve your desired effect with a background image and labels all tied to variables -- when you click on the icon to show the popup it changes some variables to trigger the background "cover" to show and a variable (displayed as a static label) is populated with the alert. Then a close button on the screen clears all the variables to clear it from in front of the control page...

Adam

Posted on
Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:59 pm
DaveL17 offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
That's cheating. :-)
Oh, yeah that was just for the concept. There was a question above as to whether the transparency would allow elements below to show through or go directly to the background color. It lets the elements through. (Maybe I misunderstood the point.)

It would be somewhat of a pain, but seems like you could achieve your desired effect with a background image and labels all tied to variables -- when you click on the icon to show the popup it changes some variables to trigger the background "cover" to show and a variable (displayed as a static label) is populated with the alert. Then a close button on the screen clears all the variables to clear it from in front of the control page...
That's the way I'd do it, and I don't think it would be too bad actually. I was just lazy and dumped all my alerts on one page (weather, transit, airports--all in one place.) Too many other things to do!

I have this problem with attention deficit and have been sidetracked by something I'm pretty excited about. I also have some pretty exciting stuff coming up with the WUnderground plugin and with the OWServer plugin.

Hey look! A squirrel! :D

Dave