Considering evohome - i'd welcome your views please

Posted on
Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:02 pm
mat online

Considering evohome - i'd welcome your views please

As the title says, I'm just replacing a boiler and thermostat, and wondered how you are finding evohome?

I have two boxed nests ready to install as I didn't believe evohome was compatible with my home (two boilers). I have subsequently had a chat with them and understand it now is (or always was).

How reliable are you finding the system both on its own and with indigo?

its a reasonably large investment, so welcome you comments.

cheers

Mat

mini 10.11.6

Posted on
Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:16 am
MartinG offline

Re: Considering evohome - i'd welcome your views please

We had evohome installed when we refurbished the house about 2 years ago. The only issue we had is that the controller needs to be centrally located is it doesn't have the range to reach diagonally across the house (~20m, 4 walls). I'm only now having to replace radiator valve batteries, but other than that it has been flawless.

As for Indigo integration, I use it 'read only' - I like to have my 'vital systems' operating independently. So I capture status like room temperatures, boiler activity etc and using that to trigger actions (eg automatically turning off secondary HW circulation pump to save energy if water temperature drops, usually when we're away for a few days). That has also been mostly fine - there are occasionally error messages when the plugin can't reach the Honeywell server, but they self-correct eventually.

I'd buy it again.

Posted on
Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:43 am
mat online

Thanks Martin, I've ordered a signal test kit to see if will work as we have very think brick walls.

Great to hear you are happy. Nice to have a forum thats trustworthy, rather than relying on online reviews! :)

mini 10.11.6

Posted on
Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:37 am
neilk offline

I would agree, my preference is to have the heating operate separately with a "fail safe" option and then apply schedule changes, reporting etc via Indigo and it works really well. The plugin is excellent and allows you to vary settings based on any logic you may use around presence (my wife working from home, the study needs to be warmer), triggers based on the alarm state etc giving you more granularity than you can get from Evohome alone (which is actually pretty good). I had no issues with signal propagation, but my controller is centrally located and most zones are underfloor from the manifold, that it is very close too. Battery life is fine for the sensors, and they notify you and fail gracefully.

I would install it again, also a very active forum on https://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbullet ... ng-Control that is essentially an Evohome forum with participation from Honeywell and some of their stockists, as well as experienced users. I recommend using the separate wireless thermostats rather than relying on the radiator valve ones as well, as they give a much more stable and accurate representation of the room temperature. They also look the part and save bending down to do the overrides wherever the rad valve is.

I even have a second gateway for an outbuilding (as I ran out of zones, and it has electric heating which at the time wasn't supported by Evohome and fired the gas boiler when only electric heat was needed) and that also works with the plugin, a stat and a gateway.

It can be a bit fiddly to install, and some of the advice around pairing, proximity of devices, time between steps may be necessary but in my case it just worked.

I agree every so often the Honeywell external connection fails but it restores gracefully and Evohome does not require the connection to operate. I only know because of the notifications it has never caused me a problem. Very intermittently the plugin stops updating (it hasn't happened for a while) and I suspect it was a symptom of local network issues (I had Sonos plugin issues at the time as well) and a plugin restart addresses it.

Let me know if you want more.

Neil

Posted on
Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:05 am
mat online

Neil, thanks for the detailed reply - I think, subject to range, it looks like the system for me. Thanks for your time.

mini 10.11.6

Posted on
Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:24 am
CliveS offline

I have evohome on all my radiators (except the kitchen towel rail) and use Indigo to control the rads 24/7/365. I never even look at the control box now.

I set the temp for every hour for every radiator, everything goes to 12c when we set away to true, Alexa and Siri will set temperature if and when instructed and I use Weather Underground to boost or reduce my fixed 24 hour settings when it gets very warm or artic cold.

When we have guests their bedroom and bathroom are set to guest mode, all I do is set a date and time variable, the same for when we go to Oz for a month each December, it just sets the whole house to 12c the day we leave and restores the day we return.

Battery life is between 1 -2 years and as stated the only downside is Honeywell seem unable to keep their server up 100% and the odd red warnings appear in the log, I just ignore them now. I have had a few occurrences where the HTML code from a web page is dumped in the log, again I just ignore it and EV Loc: seems to be permanently red in Devices but once again I ignore it as everything just works.

It took me months to code the above in Python but it does all we need and the best bit is the Boss can override it by the radiator valves as she is not into Indigo/Siri/Alexa (well until the next hours update resets it :wink: )

CliveS

Indigo 7.1.1 : Mac mini Server (Mid 2011) : MacOS Sierra 10.12.6

Posted on
Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:00 pm
siclark offline

I'm waiting for Heatmiser to update their mains wired TRV to a battery remote one to compete with evohome. Can't understand why they haven't. I had to go that route as have rads and electirc towel rails as well as wet and electric UFH and only Heatmiser could do them all at the time. It's fantastic and works as a mesh so great signal through the house, just no TRV for individual room control.
I have a couple of zwave TRVs to turn off rooms but not quite the same.
And agree entirely with all above. Heating should work independently of indigo with indigo doing reporting and overrides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:07 pm
mat online

Thanks Guys, you all have me convinced - I've booked a test kit to check out the range - victorian walls!

mini 10.11.6

Posted on
Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:08 pm
mat online

Thanks Guys,

Big box arrived at 5pm.

Box unpacked at 8pm

Installed by 11pm - RTFI's!

Plugin operatonal "for monitoring" at present 11.15pm

Looking forward to the temperature dropping now!

mini 10.11.6

Page 1 of 1