Error connecting to receiver

Posted on
Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:31 pm
petematheson offline

Error connecting to receiver

Lately I've been getting this error:
Onkyo Network Remote Plugin Error Connection failed for device 487390984: [Errno 60] Operation timed out

I can browse to the IP address without any issues - any thoughts?

Posted on
Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:02 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Error connecting to receiver

Onkyo Network Remote Plugin Error Connection failed for device 487390984: [Errno 60] Operation timed out

I can browse to the IP address without any issues - any thoughts?

That is a socket error that the plugin is unable to communicate with the receiver -- it could be dropping due to inactivity if you have polling set too high or it could be losing network connection along the way somewhere. In these cases the plugin should reconnect automatically -- are you just noticing the error in the log but operationally the plugin continues to work when try? Or does the plugin enter an error state?

Adam

Posted on
Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:45 pm
petematheson offline

Resolved this one strangely just by a hard reset of my onkyo amp, not had that one before!

Posted on
Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:51 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Resolved this one strangely just by a hard reset of my onkyo amp, not had that one before!

Well, glad you got it worked out -- let me know if it happens again and we can debug further. One note, I had some issues with my network connection to the receiver and it was the first sign of the dreaded issue that plagued the HDMI processing chip on some models. IF that turns out to be the case, they replaced the chip for me free even though it was WAY out of warranty -- there is a special case for that issue.

Anyway, maybe just a fluke but keep an eye on it if yours is an affected model.

Adam

Posted on
Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:47 pm
Rocco offline

I had the same problem- after a round of monkeying with my network that resulted in my Onkyo picking up the wrong IP address. A hard reset of the receiver worked for me as well.

Rocco

Posted on
Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:40 pm
Rocco offline

This has been a recurring problem for me recently, and I've had to unplug and re-plug my receiver several times, and then restart the plugin for it to function. One thing I've noticed is that I have better luck reconnecting if the receiver is on when I unplug it.

Rocco

Posted on
Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:35 pm
Rocco offline

Well, in the end I had to send my receiver in for repair. It began losing network connection repeatedly, and also started having trouble playing audio- pretty much the TWO THINGS one might reasonably a 'Network Receiver' to do.

Onkyo has acknowledged a problem with certain receiver models and mine (the NR-616) was covered by the warranty extension for this problem. I'll try to report if it works when it returns from service.

Rocco

Posted on
Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:25 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Onkyo has acknowledged a problem with certain receiver models and mine (the NR-616) was covered by the warranty extension for this problem. I'll try to report if it works when it returns from service.

That sounds like the same issue I had with mine - they had a bad batch of boards in certain models and will replace it. Had to send the receiver in but got it back in a week or two and the fix has worked flawlessly since.

Frankly, I'm pleasantly surprised that did the extended warranty - it was the right thing to do, but I know a ton of companies that would not have done such.

Adam

Page 1 of 1