Onkyo Network Remote Feedback and Discussion

Posted on
Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:32 am
kennybroh offline

Re: Onkyo Network Remote Feedback and Discussion

Installed the plugin and went to configure my receivers-- I have 4. Two of them went fine, and I get the following errors on the other two:

Onkyo Network Remote Plugin Error Error in plugin execution:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Plugins/Onkyo Network Remote.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/RPFramework/RPFrameworkTelnetDevice.py", line 215, in concurrentCommandProcessingThread
responseText = self.readLine(ipConnection, lineEndingToken, commandResponseTimeout)
File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Plugins/Onkyo Network Remote.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/onkyoNetworkRemoteDevice.py", line 139, in readLine
self.hostPlugin.logDebugMessage("Failed to parse eISCP message, message ignored: %s".str(message), RPFramework.RPFrameworkPlugin.DEBUGLEVEL_LOW)
AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'str'

The 2 that worked are NR-TX515 and NR-TX515. The two that didn't are NR-TX-414 and NR-TX3008. I have a couple of iOs apps and both of those work with them,

I'm now going to test the two that do work and see what happens.... Thanks for doing this!

Any thoughts?

Posted on
Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:43 am
RogueProeliator offline

Any thoughts?

Yeah, I could learn to type! :? Okay, download the latest and try it with the other two -- I don't know for sure it will work, but fixing this type should avoid erroring out there at least... properly ignoring the first (unknown) reply.

Adam

Posted on
Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:47 am
kennybroh offline

Actions

So I'm trying to test the plug-in and was looking to implement volume up, volume down, etc. All I see is set volume level which allows me to set an absolute value. But I don't see any way to increase or decrease volume. Am I missing something? Can you use pop-up to set the level?

Posted on
Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:48 am
kennybroh offline

Bingo-- fixed the error.

Thanks

Posted on
Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:52 am
RogueProeliator offline

I have a few more commands to add to the actions/commands, but that I have not yet tested... volume incremental changes (up/down... there are two commands and I am not sure the difference, so need to test, but I think it is a small and large step up/down) and and toggling inputs (as opposed to setting a specific one) are two of them. If you notice any more missing let me know and I can try and find their commands.

Adam

Posted on
Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:03 am
kennybroh offline

Actions

A couple of suggestions:

Toggle power in addition to on and off
See if you can use the pop-up UI to set volume level; the Pioneer plug-in does this.
The onkyo interface allows you to rename inputs. Is there any way you can read those and display them in the input list?

Posted on
Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:04 am
kennybroh offline

Trying to use the "Next Music Mode" action to toggle through the modes. Getting this error:

WebServer request to execute "MBR" control #106 from 192.168.10.14
Onkyo Network Remote Plugin Error Execute action called for non-managed action id: setListeningMode

Also the device state is not displaying for the current mode.

Posted on
Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:34 pm
Coolcaper offline

Preliminary testing seems promising!! :wink:

Thanks Adam for the plugin and the quick responses! Will report back with any issues! :D

Posted on
Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:22 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I posted a new version which should add a volume adjustment action (up/down and 1dB up/down) as well as fix the listening mode issue... note that these are untested (well, I ensured it was reading the listening mode into the state properly) as my son is asleep and I can't adjust go playing with the stereo at the moment. The should work, however (famous last words).

There are no commands defined in this protocol document that will read back the input labels set on the device; nor is there, surprisingly, a power toggle command. I may be able to "make" one by having it read the state and reversing it, so I will look into that in the next version. I haven't found any other lists of commands, but will keep my eye open for any that might specify either.

Adam

Posted on
Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:41 pm
kennybroh offline

By what increment does volume "Up" or "Down" adjust the volume?

Posted on
Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:45 pm
RogueProeliator offline

By what increment does volume "Up" or "Down" adjust the volume?

Good question! :? I will be able to try tomorrow... my guess is 0.1dB, but that is based solely on the fact that my remove up/down adjusts in tenths of a dB IIRC.

Adam

Posted on
Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:03 am
kennybroh offline

I think the most common and useful functions are managing volume, selecting inputs, and sometimes switching listening modes. The last two seem to be fairly reliable; it is the volume control that I think could still stand some improvement.

I'm not sure why this was happening, but it seemed like my 414 was not responding to volume commands . Mute worked fine, but I didn't seem to gable to make the volume go up or down. I'll try again. I know it works on`other receivers.

After working with the plug-in for a while I wonder if there are ways to make working with volume better. Are you limited to the 1db increments? It takes a fair amount of button pushes to make any significant change in the volume. Ideally, you would have a popup slider for the volume. As I think I mentioned, that is what the person who did the Pioneer plug-in did. It is pretty handy. Any chance you could do that?

If not, could you add a 2db increase/decrease action?

Regardless, being able to integrate the basic functions of the Onkyo receivers into the Indigo environment is really great for me, and I thank you for getting this done!

Posted on
Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:19 pm
RogueProeliator offline

After working with the plug-in for a while I wonder if there are ways to make working with volume better. Are you limited to the 1db increments? It takes a fair amount of button pushes to make any significant change in the volume. Ideally, you would have a popup slider for the volume. As I think I mentioned, that is what the person who did the Pioneer plug-in did. It is pretty handy. Any chance you could do that?

I am not inclined to switch over to the dimmer control, which provides the popup, as I would lose significant functionality that I am inheriting from some base classes. Also, the Onkyo receivers do not go from 1-100 in volume level nor do they provide a maximum volume with which a percentage could be calculated.

However, adding a "repeat" function to the volume adjustment would be relatively easy; that way you could structure the action for "UP", Repeat 3 in order to get a +/-3 change per action execution. Would that work?

Note that you can "fake" the slider/dimmer popup on your control page... not as a popup, but you can put a similar style select bar directly on the page. I have done that before.

Adam

Posted on
Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:22 am
kennybroh offline

That would be fine.

How do you fake the slider?

Posted on
Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:35 am
RogueProeliator offline

How do you fake the slider?

Basically you create an image of a slider with the position at zero, then subsequent images at any position you want to show -- maybe every 4 or 5 db values, but totally up to you. Sounds like a lot, but it only has to be done once. You use the image heuristics naming so that Indigo does all the work of picking the correct value to show.

On a control page you can setup buttons/labels/whatever you want to trigger on to do the "fast selection". So you can mimic the popup and do 10, 20, 30... or you could just have an increase/decrease and "large" increase/decrease button. Once you have it set, you can select and drag it off to your desktop; then to add it to another device/page you drag it back into the control page. Only downside is that you still have to go in and change the target receiver for each link/action.

OR, you could go to Android, use HousePad and I'll have a native slider on there for the Onkyo receiver before too long. ;-)

Adam