Onkyo Network Remote Feedback and Discussion

Posted on
Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:20 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Onkyo Network Remote Feedback and Discussion

There have been a couple of forum users that have inquired about this plugin over the last couple of months, so please feel free to chime in on any feedback that you may have -- most changes/commands are fairly simple, though I may not be able to directly test the results if my receiver does not support a particular feature. Of course, if you have any errors getting setup or during use, let me know!

Adam

Posted on
Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:40 am
durosity offline

Re: Onkyo Network Remote Feedback and Discussion

Do you have a list of different models you think will work? I know on the device page it just lists one single model you've tested it with, but when you were creating it was there a document of the API which listed different ones that all support the same framework? Reason i'm asking is i'm thinking of getting a new AV receiver for my mini-cinema (well.. i say mini.. micro more like based on the size of uk houses).. i was originally just going to get a Pioneer VSX 922 like my current lounge one but looking at it Onkyo ones seem to be a lot cheaper for similar specs.. (and of course being Scottish i resent paying anything more than i have to.. need to keep the money bin topped up for my daily swim in it)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:17 am
RogueProeliator offline

As far as I can tell, nearly all devices post-2009 support the eISCP protocol that the plugin implements... if you have a particular model in mind, let me know and I can check it out. I have not seen a complete list of those supporting it, but for example an Android app lists these as examples of supported eISCP models:

TX-NR509 TX-NR609 TX-NR709 TX-NR809 TX-NR1009 TX-NR579 DTR-20.1 DTR-30.1 DTR-40.1 DTR-50.1 DTR-70.1 DTR-80.1 DTR-20.2 DTR-30.2 DTR-40.2 DTR-50.2 DTR-70.2 DTR-80.2TX-SR707 TX-NR807 TX-NR1007 TX-NR3007 TX-NR5007 TX-NR708 TX-NR808 TX-NR1008 TX-NR3008 TX-NR5008 DHC-40.1 DHC-80.1 DHC-40.2 DHC-80.2 PR-SC5507 PR-SC5508

If you have another model in mind, I'd be happy to check out the specs to see if I can figure it out. BTW, I have been very happy with the quality of mine as a home theater receiver; I don't play a ton of just pure music through it, so can't speak to that.

Adam

Posted on
Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:00 am
Coolcaper offline

Hi,

I have installed your plugin and it installs fine and finds my receiver as well which is an Onkyo TX-NR414. However, in Devices Connected Configuration, I do not get any information in the Connected Inputs and cannot proceed any further. I get Connected Zones as Main. Any ideas? Thanks!

Posted on
Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:38 am
RogueProeliator offline

It sounds like you haven't selected any of the inputs on the Device Configuration screen -- sorry if my instructions were not clear on that aspect, I'll look into revising them (actually, now that I think about it, perhaps I should default to showing all unless someone deselects them).

I may look into that, but in the meantime, go to the Device Configuration screen and select all of the inputs which are connected to your device (you can select multiples). The selected set here is what appears in the actions / drop downs.

Adam

Posted on
Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:38 am
Coolcaper offline

Hi Adam,

That seems to be the very problem that I don't get any inputs in the Device Configuration screen unless I am doing something wrong. Attached are pics for clarity and log file entry:

27 Jul 2014 2:32:54 pm
    Onkyo Network Remote Plugin Error Error in plugin execution GetUiDynamicList:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "plugin.py", line 108, in getInputSelectorMenu
    <type 'exceptions.KeyError'>: (290398102,)

Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 2.29.28 pm.png
Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 2.29.28 pm.png (72.46 KiB) Viewed 7873 times
Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 2.28.59 pm.png
Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 2.28.59 pm.png (39.27 KiB) Viewed 7873 times

Posted on
Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:55 am
AndrewGWalsh offline

I get the exact same problem with a TX-NR808. I was thinking that it might be because mine is an older model and may not support the features necessary.

:-(

Posted on
Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:58 am
RogueProeliator offline

No, likely both are the same issue and this is a bug in the plugin... hence the beta tag :-) I'll take a look and fix it up -- should be able to take a look tonight and figure it out. Will post back with what I find and/or the fix.

Adam

Posted on
Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:31 am
RogueProeliator offline

Okay, duplicated and fixed this issue - it was a fairly easy find/fix once your details were posted, so was able to quickly knock it out. Let me know if this fixes it for you (should...) and if we need to look into anything more I will be available to debug more tonight.

Adam

Posted on
Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:51 pm
AndrewGWalsh offline

Looking good, I've created the device now and will move on to the next stage :-) Many thanks for the swift turnaround...

Posted on
Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:54 pm
Coolcaper offline

The inputs have appeared but when trying to select one of them, I get the following in the Event Log:

Onkyo Network Remote Plugin Error Error in plugin execution:

File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Plugins/Onkyo Network Remote.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/RPFramework/RPFrameworkTelnetDevice.py", line 215, in concurrentCommandProcessingThread
    responseText = self.readLine(ipConnection, lineEndingToken, commandResponseTimeout)
    File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Plugins/Onkyo Network Remote.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/onkyoNetworkRemoteDevice.py", line 136, in readLine
    return str(eISCP.iscp_to_command(eISCP.ISCPMessage.parse(message)))
    File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Plugins/Onkyo Network Remote.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/eISCP.py", line 344, in iscp_to_command
    'Cannot convert ISCP message to command: %s' % iscp_message)
    ValueError: Cannot convert ISCP message to command: NLTF300000600080000FFFF00NE

Posted on
Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:07 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Which input are you trying to select? You might want to turn debugging and set it to high, then attempt the same command and post the results. You'll likely want to tone down the debugging or turn it off after re-generating the error or you will get a LOT of extra stuff in the log later ;-)

Thanks,
Adam

Posted on
Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:15 am
Coolcaper offline

Hi Adam,

I have tried to select 'CD,CD/TV' 'DVD, BD/DVD' 'Video2, CBL/SAT' and these are the errors I get in the same order:

28 Jul 2014 11:08:18 pm
    Enabling plugin "Onkyo Network Remote Plugin 0.6.9"
    Starting plugin "Onkyo Network Remote Plugin 0.6.9" (pid 46249)
    Started plugin "Onkyo Network Remote Plugin 0.6.9"
    Onkyo Network Remote Plugin Your plugin version, v0.6.9, is current.
    Onkyo Network Remote Plugin Debug Plugin preferences updated

28 Jul 2014 11:08:48 pm
    Onkyo Network Remote Plugin Debug getInputSelectorMenu called for filter: {all}

28 Jul 2014 11:09:10 pm
    Onkyo Network Remote Plugin Debug Setting address of 1333208590 to 10.0.1.13:60128
    Onkyo Network Remote Plugin Debug Entering deviceStartComm for new device; ID=1333208590
    Onkyo Network Remote Plugin Debug Read device state config... isConnected: 'isConnected'; connectionState: 'connectionState'
    Onkyo Network Remote Plugin Debug Establishing connection to 10.0.1.13
    Onkyo Network Remote Plugin Debug Returning default GUIConfigValue for onkyoReceiverNetworkRemoteDevice:deviceIsChildDevice
    Onkyo Network Remote Plugin Debug Returning default GUIConfigValue for onkyoReceiverNetworkRemoteDevice:deviceIsChildDevice
    Onkyo Network Remote Plugin Debug Exiting deviceStartComm for new device
    Onkyo Network Remote Plugin Debug Connection established
    Onkyo Network Remote Plugin Debug Returning default GUIConfigValue for onkyoReceiverNetworkRemoteDevice:telnetConnectionEOLString
    Onkyo Network Remote Plugin Debug Returning default GUIConfigValue for onkyoReceiverNetworkRemoteDevice:telnetConnectionStringEncoding
    Onkyo Network Remote Plugin Debug Returning default GUIConfigValue for onkyoReceiverNetworkRemoteDevice:telnetConnectionRequiresLoginProperty
    Onkyo Network Remote Plugin Debug Command queue has 1 command(s) waiting
    Onkyo Network Remote Plugin Debug Create connection command de-queued

File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Plugins/Onkyo Network Remote.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/RPFramework/RPFrameworkTelnetDevice.py", line 215, in concurrentCommandProcessingThread
    responseText = self.readLine(ipConnection, lineEndingToken, commandResponseTimeout)
    File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Plugins/Onkyo Network Remote.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/onkyoNetworkRemoteDevice.py", line 136, in readLine
    File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Plugins/Onkyo Network Remote.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/eISCP.py", line 344, in iscp_to_command

Onkyo Network Remote Plugin Debug Closing connection to device

28 Jul 2014 11:09:26 pm
    Onkyo Network Remote Plugin Debug Setting address of 1333208590 to 10.0.1.13:60128
    Onkyo Network Remote Plugin Debug Entering deviceStopComm for new device; ID=1333208590
    Onkyo Network Remote Plugin Debug Initiating shutdown of communications with new device
    Onkyo Network Remote Plugin Debug Shutdown of communications with new device complete
    Onkyo Network Remote Plugin Debug Exiting deviceStopComm for new device
    Onkyo Network Remote Plugin Debug Entering deviceStartComm for new device; ID=1333208590
    Onkyo Network Remote Plugin Debug Read device state config... isConnected: 'isConnected'; connectionState: 'connectionState'
    Onkyo Network Remote Plugin Debug Returning default GUIConfigValue for onkyoReceiverNetworkRemoteDevice:telnetConnectionEOLString
    Onkyo Network Remote Plugin Debug Returning default GUIConfigValue for onkyoReceiverNetworkRemoteDevice:telnetConnectionStringEncoding
    Onkyo Network Remote Plugin Debug Returning default GUIConfigValue for onkyoReceiverNetworkRemoteDevice:telnetConnectionRequiresLoginProperty

28 Jul 2014 11:09:59 pm

28 Jul 2014 11:10:17 pm
    Onkyo Network Remote Plugin Debug Entering deviceStopComm for new device; ID=1333208590
    Onkyo Network Remote Plugin Debug Initiating shutdown of communications with new device
    Onkyo Network Remote Plugin Debug Shutdown of communications with new device complete
    Onkyo Network Remote Plugin Debug Exiting deviceStopComm for new device

Posted on
Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:39 am
RogueProeliator offline

Thanks for the detailed log... looking at it, it appears it is sending a response that is not within the eISCP definitions that I used -- so I don't really know what the heck that response message is saying. Since it is on first connection (it appears) I am going to guess it is a status message of some kind that I can safely ignore.

I'll add some code to ignore commands in an unknown format and see if it will still give you control.

Adam

Posted on
Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:55 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Please try downloading the latest version and giving it another try... I apologize for the troubles, but I am unable to duplicate your issue here, so I believe it could be model-specific behavior that we are seeing. This new version will ignore (but log, if debug is enabled) any commands received which it doesn't understand. Please let me know if this helps at all... Version should be 0.7.9, but I will hold of posting an announcement to see if the issue is resolved.

Adam