Autelis Jandy

Posted on
Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:59 pm
nlagaros offline

Re: Autelis Jandy

Autelis provides an xml dump of the keypad. I figured I would poll it every x seconds and develop a simple parser. The url is http://<poolcontrol>/keypad.xml

Posted on
Thu May 02, 2013 10:21 am
eme jota ce offline

Autelis Jandy Plugin with Solar Heater ... as Pool Cooler?

In our area, pools are about to get too hot. I'd like to use the plugin to run the pump at night and push the hot pool water through the solar panels to cool the pool at night. Can almost do it, but not quite. What I'll need to do is: (1) turn on the pool pump, (2) turn the valve that allows the water to pass into the solar panels to Open.

The plugin can turn on the pump. It can also set "Solar" to On. However, the aqualink has a rooftop sensor that gets in the way when I set Solar to ON at night because the valve wont' open unless the rooftop sensor is several degrees warmer than the pool water.

Wondering if there is a better way, such as using (an unknown to me) Jandy Command from the Plugin's menu to directly control the valve?

I wrote to Autelis about this and received the following good suggestions, but am wondering if there's an easier way that someone here has found or can suggest via the plugin:
If you have a newer version of Jandy system firmware, you may be able to enable cooling using the system menu and configuring your solar as a heat pump in chill mode.

This system was recently installed, but I'm uncertain of the firmware version, or how to configure solar as a heat pump in chill mode.
Your other option would be to replace the solar temperature sensor with a resistor to make the system think the roof temp is always hot. You would then be able to turn on the solar heat at night and the system would think it was heating and run the solar as long as the setpoint was higher than the water temperature. You could then use Indigo to monitor the water temperature and turn the solar heating off when the water reaches your desired temperature.

Thanks

Posted on
Thu May 23, 2013 9:36 am
hamw offline

My pump needs to be replaced. I am thinking of a two speed pump, and saw that the plugin supports "PUMP" and "PUMPLO". I guess that means that a two speed pump is supported?

Anyone have a pump recommendation? I posted on TroublefreePool.com and saw a recommendation for an AO Smith B2983 hi efficiency pump, but y'all's thoughts would be appreciated too. If this is a little off topic, feel free to PM me.

Thanks!

Posted on
Thu May 23, 2013 12:08 pm
doug@dynamic.com offline

I am working on developing a plug-in for my Niles GXR2 whole home audio system. It is connected via RS-232. I talk to it now with shell scripts to set and obtain data. I notice that your Jandy plug-in uses the same type of serial connection. I was wondering if any of your source code for your plug-in might be available as a basis for my development and communications.

Doug

Posted on
Thu May 23, 2013 6:30 pm
nlagaros offline

I replaced my pump last year with the Jandy ePump. It is a variable speed pump. So far so good with complete AquaLink integration.

To answer your question, you can use the two speed pump with the AquaLink. I think it would use two relays. For me it was easier to use the variable speed - one relay and I can set the speed I want. There are 8 presets or you can dial in your own through the keypad.

hamw wrote:
My pump needs to be replaced. I am thinking of a two speed pump, and saw that the plugin supports "PUMP" and "PUMPLO". I guess that means that a two speed pump is supported?

Anyone have a pump recommendation? I posted on TroublefreePool.com and saw a recommendation for an AO Smith B2983 hi efficiency pump, but y'all's thoughts would be appreciated too. If this is a little off topic, feel free to PM me.

Thanks!

Posted on
Thu May 23, 2013 6:32 pm
nlagaros offline

The Jandy plugin is all TCP. Is your Niles connected via USB to your Indigo server? You are free to peruse the source code in the plugin. I hope it can be helpful to you. If you need real serial integration, you can look at the Russound plugin I worked on with another Indigo plugin developer.

doug@dynamic.com wrote:
I am working on developing a plug-in for my Niles GXR2 whole home audio system. It is connected via RS-232. I talk to it now with shell scripts to set and obtain data. I notice that your Jandy plug-in uses the same type of serial connection. I was wondering if any of your source code for your plug-in might be available as a basis for my development and communications.

Doug

Posted on
Thu May 23, 2013 7:22 pm
doug@dynamic.com offline

So your plugin would work with the new iaqualink that has the iPad app? I was thinking of upgrading my old Jandy PDA system for remote control of a remote pool at a second location. If it is TCP based, I assume I could use Indigo on my home net to connect to Jandy at the remote location by allowing that traffic through the various firewalls.

Doug

Posted on
Fri May 24, 2013 6:34 am
nlagaros offline

The plugin is meant to interface with the Autelis Jandy controller. The Autelis is connected to the RS485 bus on the AquaLink. It basically acts as an additional keypad. The iAquaLink I think is more of a competing product. With the Autelis and this plugin, you can customize quite a few actions - and basically do what you want. Technically you don't even need the plugin. Autelis has a keypad emulator built right in.

doug@dynamic.com wrote:
So your plugin would work with the new iaqualink that has the iPad app? I was thinking of upgrading my old Jandy PDA system for remote control of a remote pool at a second location. If it is TCP based, I assume I could use Indigo on my home net to connect to Jandy at the remote location by allowing that traffic through the various firewalls.

Doug

Posted on
Sun May 26, 2013 9:01 pm
hamw offline

The new plugin version sounds super! It's just in time for my current issue, my Jandy ColorSplash light. In order to change the light's color, the light has to be selected in "equipment on/off", and then one has to press "off/on" and the "off/on" needs to be sent within 5 seconds, otherwise it goes back to white. I've tried using the Autelis web interface and it can't respond fast enough to "off/on" to get the light to advance to the next color. Maybe there a workaround with the new functionality you've built in to the plugin?

Thanks again for your great work with this plugin!

--Edit--

Tried d/l the plugin and running it. I am on Beta 7. Do I need Beta 8 for this? I tried recreating the "Pool" device with no success, and putting the plugin in debug mode. Have been avoiding Beta 8 until the other plugin compatibility issues are resolved, but if so I will go with it. At this point the plugin is not working.

Code: Select all
  Reloading plugin "Autelis Jandy 1.2.0"
  Stopping plugin "Autelis Jandy 1.2.0" (pid 40868)
  Stopped plugin "Autelis Jandy 1.2.0"
  Starting plugin "Autelis Jandy 1.2.0" (pid 40891)
  Started plugin "Autelis Jandy 1.2.0"

****note no connection on port 6000****

May 26, 2013 11:08:03 PM
  Autelis Jandy Debug             Getting Plugin Configuration Settings
  Autelis Jandy Debug             There was an error reading the plugin preferences. Please check your configuration.
  Autelis Jandy Debug             There was an error reading the plugin preferences. Please check your configuration.
  Schedule                        _delayed_action_11
  Autelis Jandy Debug             TX: #AUX5=0
  Autelis Jandy Debug             Error: <type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>
  Autelis Jandy Error             Error in plugin execution ExecuteAction:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "plugin.py", line 63, in actionAux
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Plugins/AutelisJandy.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/Autelis.py", line 180, in actionGeneric
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Plugins/AutelisJandy.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/Autelis.py", line 130, in sendMessage
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Plugins/AutelisJandy.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/Autelis.py", line 115, in closeConnection
<type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'close'

Stopping plugin "Autelis Jandy 1.2.0" (pid 40891)
  Autelis Jandy Debug             Method: stopConcurrentThread
  Starting plugin "Autelis Jandy 1.2.0" (pid 40896)

Posted on
Mon May 27, 2013 2:45 am
nlagaros offline

I do see a problem with the socket.close code - looking in to that. The plugin should still function without that. Just want to make sure you downloaded the right code for the Autelis. It should be the 1.5.4 TCP firmware. To verify that it is, you can telnet to the IP of your PoolControl on port 6000. That is essentially what the plugin does.

Posted on
Mon May 27, 2013 3:05 am
nlagaros offline

hamw:

I updated the code to v1.2.1. Please download the new version.
Also - it looks like the plugin configuration file is not reading correctly. Can you go to the plugin configuration page and make a change that will force the configuration to save. That should do it.

Posted on
Mon May 27, 2013 3:10 am
nlagaros offline

Once we get the plugin working again for you, I'm happy to try to automate this. I just need the exact text on the EQUIPMENT ON/OFF screen for the ColorSplash. Does the keypad report the colors you are cycling through?

hamw wrote:
The new plugin version sounds super! It's just in time for my current issue, my Jandy ColorSplash light. In order to change the light's color, the light has to be selected in "equipment on/off", and then one has to press "off/on" and the "off/on" needs to be sent within 5 seconds, otherwise it goes back to white. I've tried using the Autelis web interface and it can't respond fast enough to "off/on" to get the light to advance to the next color. Maybe there a workaround with the new functionality you've built in to the plugin?

Thanks again for your great work with this plugin!

--Edit--

Tried d/l the plugin and running it. I am on Beta 7. Do I need Beta 8 for this? I tried recreating the "Pool" device with no success, and putting the plugin in debug mode. Have been avoiding Beta 8 until the other plugin compatibility issues are resolved, but if so I will go with it. At this point the plugin is not working.

Stopping plugin "Autelis Jandy 1.2.0" (pid 40868)
  Starting plugin "Autelis Jandy 1.2.0" (pid 40891)

****note no connection on port 6000****

May 26, 2013 11:08:03 PM
  Schedule                        _delayed_action_11
  Autelis Jandy Debug             TX: #AUX5=0
  Autelis Jandy Debug             Error: <type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>
  Autelis Jandy Error             Error in plugin execution ExecuteAction:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "plugin.py", line 63, in actionAux
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Plugins/AutelisJandy.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/Autelis.py", line 180, in actionGeneric
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Plugins/AutelisJandy.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/Autelis.py", line 130, in sendMessage
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Plugins/AutelisJandy.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/Autelis.py", line 115, in closeConnection
<type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'close'

Stopping plugin "Autelis Jandy 1.2.0" (pid 40891)
  Starting plugin "Autelis Jandy 1.2.0" (pid 40896)

Posted on
Mon May 27, 2013 3:17 am
nlagaros offline

Just looking that the manual for the lights: http://www.zodiacpoolsystems.com/~/media/Zodiac/Global/Downloads/H/H0305600. Do you have a OneTouch keypad?

Check out the following note: "If an AquaLink RS control system is being used the color set can be selected using the indoor controller."

Could there be a separate screen in the MENU to set the color?

Posted on
Mon May 27, 2013 8:31 am
asw24b offline

doug@dynamic.com wrote:

Doug

Where is the serial port on the GXR2 ?

I have the same set up, and I must be missing something obvious....

Thanks !

Mike

Posted on
Mon May 27, 2013 11:44 am
hamw offline

Hmm... still not connecting... Downloaded and installed 1.5.4 firmware.

Autelis Version Web Page 130527.tiff
Autelis Version Web Page 130527.tiff (35.45 KiB) Viewed 4264 times

[code}Reloading plugin "Autelis Jandy 1.2.1"
Stopping plugin "Autelis Jandy 1.2.1" (pid 48682)
Stopped plugin "Autelis Jandy 1.2.1"
Starting plugin "Autelis Jandy 1.2.1" (pid 48709)
Started plugin "Autelis Jandy 1.2.1"
Autelis Jandy Saved Plugin Configuration
Autelis Jandy Error Socket: 10.0.1.40:6000 not open to close
Autelis Jandy Error Socket: 10.0.1.40:6000 failed to connect. Please check the plugin configuration.
[/code]

Here's the plugin config pane:
Autelis Config Page 130527.tiff
Autelis Config Page 130527.tiff (82.3 KiB) Viewed 4264 times

I changed settings and saved it a couple of times.

Here's debug:

Reloading plugin "Autelis Jandy 1.2.1"
  Stopping plugin "Autelis Jandy 1.2.1" (pid 48709)
  Autelis Jandy Debug             Method: shutdown
  Stopped plugin "Autelis Jandy 1.2.1"
  Starting plugin "Autelis Jandy 1.2.1" (pid 48782)
  Started plugin "Autelis Jandy 1.2.1"
  Autelis Jandy Debug                 Connection Type: Socket
  Autelis Jandy Debug                 Socket IP:        10.0.1.40
  Autelis Jandy Debug                 Socket Port:      6000
  Autelis Jandy Debug                 Enable UDP:       False
  Autelis Jandy Debug                 UDP Port:         7890
  Autelis Jandy Debug                 Keypad Updates:   True
  Autelis Jandy Debug                 AquaPure:         True
  Autelis Jandy Debug                 Aux Devices:      05
  Autelis Jandy Debug                 Aux 01:           Aux 1
  Autelis Jandy Debug                 Aux 02:           Blower
  Autelis Jandy Debug                 Aux 03:           Color Lights
  Autelis Jandy Debug                 Aux 04:           Aux 4
  Autelis Jandy Debug                 Aux 05:           Control Page Toggle
  Autelis Jandy                   Saved Plugin Configuration
  Autelis Jandy Error             Socket: 10.0.1.40:6000 not open to close   #### don't understand this one.... see below
  Autelis Jandy Debug             Opening connection....
  Autelis Jandy Error             Socket: 10.0.1.40:6000 failed to connect. Please check the plugin configuration.

#### Try again...

Autelis Jandy                   Saved Plugin Configuration
  Autelis Jandy                   Socket: 10.0.1.40:6000 closed succesfully
  Autelis Jandy Error             Socket: 10.0.1.40:6000 failed to connect. Please check the plugin configuration.

Last edited by hamw on Mon May 27, 2013 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.