Autelis Jandy

Posted on
Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:53 pm
hamw offline

Autelis Jandy

Great plugin! Has been very useful indeed. BTW, have supported your effort via the PayPal link on the download page.

Didn't know if you'd noticed this problem but the plugin is running my CPU up quite a lot. I have a schedule to restart it every couple of hours, but during that time the IndigoPluginHost will get up to 90% CPU. Restarting AutelisJandy fixes the issue.

Posted on
Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:49 pm
nlagaros offline

Re: Autelis Jandy

Thanks so much for the support hamw! I do appreciate it. I'll have a look at the code to see if there is some inefficient socket communications going on.

As an aside, I've been pressing the Autelis team to expand the functionality of their device such that we can monitor pump speed, chlorine production, and other advanced Jandy options folks may have in their setup. Hopefully, good stuff to come.

Posted on
Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:23 am
nlagaros offline

I had to shut my pool down along with the Aqualink controller so unfortunately will not be able to do much testing until the Spring.

Posted on
Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:58 am
eme jota ce offline

About to upgrade our pool with a solar heater, which I'd like to control with Indigo so that the heater could be used to cool the pool in the summer, by running it at night when conditions are right.

With this plugin ...

Is this the pool hardware I need to install for the plugin to work?

Is any other hardware needed to connect my Indigo machine to the pool control, such as a serial adaptor or does everything communicate if connected to my LAN?

Does the plugin include control of the solar pool heater?

Thanks,
mjc

Posted on
Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:07 am
nlagaros offline

My plugin requires the Autelis Jandy Pool Control device. It is really an alternative to Jandy's system. You can find it here: http://www.autelis.com/pool-control-for-jandy-zodiac.html.

It's a decent piece of hardware. I had initially picked it up as a less expensive alternative to upgrading my AquaLink control center. The device connects to the RS-485 bus like a one touch controller and plugs in to your network. It has a decent standalone web interface.

I tap in to their TCP api to do just about everything you can from their interface with Indigo. It should work fine with your solar heater. I don't have a solar heater myself, but don't see it as any different than controlling a regular heater.

Posted on
Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:44 am
nlagaros offline

hamw - Please download and test the latest version I just posted and see if the CPU problem exists. I didn't code anything yet to specifically address the issue, but want to make sure we are running exactly the same version. I did correct one typo in the code, plus may have made some other changes since I posted last.

Thanks.

Posted on
Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:50 am
eme jota ce offline

nlagaros wrote:
My plugin requires the Autelis Jandy Pool Control device. It is really an alternative to Jandy's system. You can find it here: http://www.autelis.com/pool-control-for-jandy-zodiac.html.

It's a decent piece of hardware. I had initially picked it up as a less expensive alternative to upgrading my AquaLink control center. The device connects to the RS-485 bus like a one touch controller and plugs in to your network. It has a decent standalone web interface.

I tap in to their TCP api to do just about everything you can from their interface with Indigo. It should work fine with your solar heater. I don't have a solar heater myself, but don't see it as any different than controlling a regular heater.

Thanks nlargaros for pointing me in the right direction (first pool)

Do you think your plugin will work if I add the Autelis wireless outdoor kit for the pool control? Would like to avoid a pretty long cable run from the Indigo machine to the pool equipment, if possible.

MJC

Posted on
Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:51 am
nlagaros offline

Yes it should work just fine - this device is a wireless signal repeater.

Posted on
Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:01 am
hamw offline

Will do.

Also, to the benefits of the Autelis, part of its web interface is duplication of the RS OneTouch control panel.

eme jota ce wrote:
Does the plugin include control of the solar pool heater?

So, whatever you can do on the OneTouch, you can do with the Autelis, including complete programming of the system, even if it is not exposed in the API. I've never used the Jandy RS232 Home Automation interface so I don't know if you can program the system with that.

eme jota ce wrote:
Do you think your plugin will work if I add the Autelis wireless outdoor kit for the pool control? Would like to avoid a pretty long cable run from the Indigo machine to the pool equipment, if possible.

My pool is >100 ft from the house; further for wiring, so I couldn't practically run RS232. I bought the outdoor wiring kit -- but, while I did buy their bridge, I changed to an airport express for ease of setup. Works perfectly; signal strength is better with the new Gen 2 APE.

Posted on
Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:37 am
eme jota ce offline

hamw wrote:
My pool is >100 ft from the house; further for wiring, so I couldn't practically run RS232. I bought the outdoor wiring kit -- but, while I did buy their bridge, I changed to an airport express for ease of setup. Works perfectly; signal strength is better with the new Gen 2 APE.

Good idea, especially since the outdoor kit is currently out of stock.
Just set the APE to bridge the local WiFI, then run Cat 5e/6 cable from APE to the Autelis?

Posted on
Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:02 am
hamw offline

eme jota ce wrote:
Good idea, especially since the outdoor kit is currently out of stock.
Just set the APE to bridge the local WiFI, then run Cat 5e/6 cable from APE to the Autelis?

Yes. The outdoor wiring kit is well put together, however, with a built-in outlet inside. I had to actually mount the kit to the side of my pool house as putting the APE inside the pool house just killed the signal, I guess because of the distance. Tried all sorts of locations. So, if you don't get a good signal, get the outdoor kit when it comes back in stock and mount in an unobtrusive line-of-sight location.

Posted on
Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:59 am
eme jota ce offline

Can either of you point me toward the proper setup and use of the plugin.

My Autelis arrived and I'm able to reach the Autelis to see and control the pool pump along with seeing water and air temps via Safari on the LAN, but the plugin doesn't seem to be able to see or control the pump nor report temperatures.

The Model number of Autelis is "SN100" in case it's new or different from what was shipped to you.

Autelis Plugin Setup as below:
IP: set to "10.0.1.112" (which is assigned to the Autelis MAC address by router). I use 10.0.1.112 in my browser to login and reach the Autelis successfully. Using the default login & password for the Autelis, but that was not entered into the plugin during setup.
Port: left at "80"
Number of AUX units. I've tried between 1 and 15 and left the names the same, then remaned them to exactly match what I see on the Autelis local website at 10.0.1.112 via browser.

I see the following relevant messages in the log at Indigo startup (and no other Autelis messages):
Loading plugin "Autelis Jandy 1.0.5"
Starting plugin "Autelis Jandy 1.0.5" (pid 925)
Plugin "Autelis Jandy" connected
Plugin "Autelis Jandy 1.0.5" started
Autelis Jandy Saved Plugin Configuration
Autelis Jandy Socket: 10.0.1.112:80 connected succesfully

In Indigo, I created an Autelis Plugin device: Type: Plugin -> Plugin: Autelis Jandy -> Model: Autelis Controller. I also created an action group to turn off the pump. When I execute the action group, I see the following in the log:
Action Group POOL PUMP OFF for 15 MINUTES
Autelis Jandy Socket: 10.0.1.112:80 closed succesfully
Autelis Jandy Socket: 10.0.1.112:80 connected succesfully

Nothing happens, the pump keeps running. Have waited few hours to see whether it would update temps in Indigo, but has not.

Any suggestions or pointers would be appreciated. Thanks,
mjc

Posted on
Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:09 pm
eme jota ce offline

UPDATE - Answered my own question above. Posting answer here, in case useful to others.

Autelis support let me know that there is a separate firmware that needs to be installed in order to run the Indigo plugin. It's available for download here. It's the "TCP Serial Port" firmware available through the Autelis Wiki.

Also, note that the Autelis documentation for the TCP Serial firmware indicates that this firmware uses Port 6000, not port 80, so, after updating the Autelis firmware, change the port from 80 to 6000 in the Autelis Jandy Plugin.

Plugin now controls the pump and reports the temperatures. Will be adding a solar heater in a week or so and can see variable for Solar Heat in the plugin. Goal is to use Indigo and Autelis for normal heating most of the year, but to also use the solar heater in reverse during the summer months, so that it will reduce the pool temp by running water through the solar panels at night when conditions are right. (Pool hit 94+ degrees last summer without any heater connected to it)

Thanks for sharing your hard work Nick. Paypal appreciation sent.
Last edited by eme jota ce on Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Posted on
Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:01 pm
nlagaros offline

Much appreciated on the donation. I do need to get some documentation out there -- and once I have the pool up and running again in the spring hope to add some functionality and address any performance issues.

Posted on
Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:13 pm
hamw offline

I've been running the most recent version of the plugin since October 28 without any IndigoPluginHost problems -- whatever you adjusted worked!

Many thanks!! :D