Sonos Plugin Amazon IVONA

Posted on
Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:43 pm
philipbasile offline

Sonos Plugin Amazon IVONA

Nick,

First of all THANK YOU for this plugin!

I was using the google voice for announcements but it has an echo to it so I wanted to try IVONA. I have an AWS account so per amazon I set up an IAM user and granted AmazonPollyFullAccess permission. IVONA was purchased by amazon and replaced with POLLY.

I checked IVONA support in the plugin and entered the access key and the secret key.

The first time I ran it, it worked. Then I started getting the following error. Can you help me out ?

Thanks

Philip

Trigger Motion Kitchen Morning Sonos
Sonos Error Error in plugin execution ExecuteAction:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "plugin.py", line 198, in actionZP_announcementMP3
File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/Sonos.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/Sonos.py", line 1779, in actionAnnouncement
File "./lib/pyvona/pyvona.py", line 116, in fetch_voice
File "./lib/pyvona/pyvona.py", line 125, in fetch_voice_fp
PyvonaException: Error fetching voice: {"Message":"Authentication failed"}

Sonos Error Error in plugin execution ExecuteAction:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "plugin.py", line 198, in actionZP_announcementMP3
File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/Sonos.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/Sonos.py", line 1779, in actionAnnouncement
File "./lib/pyvona/pyvona.py", line 116, in fetch_voice
File "./lib/pyvona/pyvona.py", line 125, in fetch_voice_fp
PyvonaException: Error fetching voice: {"Message":"Authentication failed"}

Sonos ZonePlayer: Sonos, Current Volume: 40, New Volume: 40

Posted on
Mon May 08, 2017 7:20 am
nlagaros offline

Re: Sonos Plugin Amazon IVONA

That is definitely an issue with authenticating your key and password. All I can say is try re-entering it in the configuration and see if that works. I just tested IVONA announcements on my setup and it still seems to work. Afraid this is going to go away at the end of June according to Amazon. I'll have to see about POLLY but that is a paid service.

Can you fall back to Google or Microsoft?

Posted on
Mon May 08, 2017 7:21 am
nlagaros offline

Did you sign up for POLLY or IVONA?

Posted on
Mon May 08, 2017 7:47 pm
philipbasile offline

I signed up for Polly. Ivona doesn't look like it's available anymore.

Posted on
Wed May 10, 2017 7:35 pm
philipbasile offline

I would stick with the google voice but it seems to have a echo sound to it. Are you familiar with this ?

Posted on
Tue May 30, 2017 3:54 pm
wideglidejrp offline

AWS Polly

I have been experimenting with Polly. The quality is very high and it is very easy to use. Extremely flexible to customize text to speech. There is a Python script at...

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/polly/latest ... -code.html

It is designed to interact with an html5 client, but doesn't have to. Following is my simple approach to using Polly for announcements with Sonos. No doubt there is a much more elegant integrated way to do this, but here goes.....

1. Create text string for the announcement
2. Pass it to AWS
3. AWS creates an MP3 which put in the Sound File Path in Sonos configuration
4. Play the announcement MP3

As for paid service, The Amazon Polly free tier includes 5 million characters per month for speech or Speech Marks requests, for the first 12 months, starting from the first request for speech. After the 12 months, you get Pay-as-you-go $4.00 per 1 million characters for speech requests (when outside the free tier). For my application, announcing weather forecasts and alerts, the cost is very close to free.

Does anyone know how to take the AWS/Polly sample script above and enable it to #3 and #4?

John R Patrick
Author of
Home Attitude

Posted on
Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:23 am
nlagaros offline

Hey John,

I'm still alive - just buried with life. It's been a while since I touched the code, but will do the Polly integration (hopefully today). I've got my AWS account setup and the API seems pretty straightforward. Hopefully this is useful to others.

Stand by...

-Nick

Posted on
Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:27 pm
nlagaros offline

Updated plugin to v1.0.4. Polly works pretty well - the voices are improved over IVONA.

Download here: http://vulture.lagaros.com:8000/wordpress/home/sonos/

Posted on
Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:32 am
wideglidejrp offline

Sonos with AWS Polly

Hi, Nick. Email to you @lagaros.com is bouncing. I continue to like Polly. Really great. Have you considered making the message box bigger? It is a bit hard to edit. For example, here is my good morning script.

Good morning. Today is %%v:1814244738%%. The time is %%v:1404420983%%. The temperature out front is %%v:1278840281%% and the humidity is %%v:1182430290%% percent. Today's forecast is %%v:1198969755%%. Have a nice day at the Ridge.

Fyi. Home Attitude (with your name in it) manuscript went to CreateSpace last week. Should publish in a few weeks at most. Will send you a copy. Can’t find your mailing address. Can you please let me know where to send it?

John

John R Patrick
Author of
Home Attitude

Posted on
Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:48 pm
wideglidejrp offline

I have been using AWS Polly for morning and evening weather broadcast announcements for quite awhile with no problems. Just in the past week, it is not working. The problem is isolated to one of my five Sonos speakers. The Polly announcements works on any speaker except for one. No error messages appear. After the broadcast message which did not play, the group is reassembled and music continues on the speaker at issue. I rebooted the speaker, same result. I tried Apple Speech, same thing. Works on all speakers but the one. Seems like a speaker problem, but it plays music just fine. Anybody have any diagnostic ideas?

John R Patrick
Author of
Home Attitude

Page 1 of 1