interaction with sonos groups and announcements

Posted on
Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:05 pm
dduff617 offline

interaction with sonos groups and announcements

i've been away from sonos/indigo for a while. now i'm back at it and i am using the latest plugin (0.8.9) and latest indigo (6.0.20). i have a total of four sonos players.

experiment 1: player A is grouped to player B (i.e., select player A, then hit the group button and check player B in the list). in this configuration, i guess we could say player A is the "lead" player and player B starts playing whatever player A was already playing. this group (A, B) is playing music (pandora).

now try to execute an MP3 announcement directed at player B. what happens: player B stops playing music (good). player A continues playing music (good). player B remains silent for a few seconds (this is where i would expect to hear the announcement). player B resumes playing and is re-grouped with player A (good).

experiment 2: Players A and B are grouped as per experiment 1, except B is now the "lead" of the group.

now try again to execute an MP3 announcement directed at player B. what happens: player B stops playing music (good). player A continues playing music (good). player B plays the announcement (good). player B resumes playing and is re-grouped with player A (good).

so the upshot is that whether a particular group announcement works or not seems to depend on the pre-existing sonos group-state. is this the expected behavior? needless to say, i'd prefer MP3 announcements to work as specified independent of the starting group-state.

also, one other comment: when i described above that a particular player kept playing or resumed playing, i observe that if the current music source is pandora, that the player skips to the start of the next track. not a big deal, but ideally, you'd like player that are not receiving the announcement to continue without any interruption. i didn't test with other music sources.

are others seeing the same behavior? any suggestions for a fix? when i upgraded to the latest plugin version, i did not completely delete all my Sonos devices from Indigo and then re-add them - might that help? i know i've had to do this in the past for some plugin updates....

Page 1 of 1