Sonos / Line-Out / MP3 - Feature Request

Posted on
Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:58 am
Vangelis offline

Sonos / Line-Out / MP3 - Feature Request

My current announcement setup is done via the Sonos Group Announcement feature along with Mac Mini -> Line-Out -> Connect (as the input). Voice announcements (via the Group Announcement pane) are working perfectly, but either as a prefix to a Voice Announcement or on it's own, I would like to play an MP3 file.

This could either be Chimes -> Voice Announcement (kind of an MP3 prefix)
or
An 'Alarm' MP3 file played on all ZP's (stand alone MP3)

I know that I could use an SMB share along with changing 'announcement.mp3' file to my 'Alarm' MP3, however Sonos and SMB shares don't play nicely on my system for some reason (hence the Line-Out option)

Not sure how easy this functionality would be to incorporate into the Sonos plugin??

Vangelis

Posted on
Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:58 am
nlagaros offline

Re: Sonos / Line-Out / MP3 - Feature Request

If I understand correctly, you are looking for a modified MP3 Announcement action that will let you choose a file and streams it from the Mac? Or would it choose a specific track in your Sonos music list? With zero modification, you could create Sonos playlists for each one of these announcements.

I'm happy to add a bit to the plugin to make it more useful to you, just not sure which direction to go in here.

Vangelis wrote:
My current announcement setup is done via the Sonos Group Announcement feature along with Mac Mini -> Line-Out -> Connect (as the input). Voice announcements (via the Group Announcement pane) are working perfectly, but either as a prefix to a Voice Announcement or on it's own, I would like to play an MP3 file.

This could either be Chimes -> Voice Announcement (kind of an MP3 prefix)
or
An 'Alarm' MP3 file played on all ZP's (stand alone MP3)

I know that I could use an SMB share along with changing 'announcement.mp3' file to my 'Alarm' MP3, however Sonos and SMB shares don't play nicely on my system for some reason (hence the Line-Out option)

Not sure how easy this functionality would be to incorporate into the Sonos plugin??

Vangelis

Posted on
Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:32 am
Vangelis offline

...the former..

Ideally, I would have an alarm_sound.mp3 file on my Mac Mini (that runs Indigo), and then via your Sonos Plugin 'Group Announcement' panel, be able to target the directory it resides in, and as I have a Line-Out to a Connect ZP, have the MP3 file played via Sonos.

An example would be a dual Action Group...
1) Play alarm_sound.mp3
2) Speak a warning
....Loop

or

Add a 'Chime.mp3' to preceed any Spoken Annoucement

As I don't use Indigo/Sonos Plugin to play music, not sure I want to go down the PlayList route (but could if it's a PITA to adjust the plugin?)

Vangelis

Posted on
Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:33 am
nlagaros offline

Good news .. check out the latest version of the plugin (v0.8.3). I implemented this feature, but without the line-out part. I created a simple HTTP server to stream directly to the ZonePlayer(s).

Vangelis wrote:
...the former..

Ideally, I would have an alarm_sound.mp3 file on my Mac Mini (that runs Indigo), and then via your Sonos Plugin 'Group Announcement' panel, be able to target the directory it resides in, and as I have a Line-Out to a Connect ZP, have the MP3 file played via Sonos.

An example would be a dual Action Group...
1) Play alarm_sound.mp3
2) Speak a warning
....Loop

or

Add a 'Chime.mp3' to preceed any Spoken Annoucement

As I don't use Indigo/Sonos Plugin to play music, not sure I want to go down the PlayList route (but could if it's a PITA to adjust the plugin?)

Vangelis

Page 1 of 1