Questions before buying Sonos

Posted on
Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:11 am
DomoPat offline

Questions before buying Sonos

Hello everyone,

I am thinking of buying Sonos HP's to have the same sound all over the house (and sometimes different tunes in the teenager room !) but I could not find clear answers to these questions:

1) can I have the speech messages given by Indigo played on the Sonos ? I guess I need a 'connect' module to send the sound from the Mac Mini to the Sonos, and then I will need to change the source of the signal form whatever to the Mac Mini when necessary, can the plugin do that ?
2) what is the use and benefits of the plugin ? I guess it gives the possibility to Indigo to change which speaker is active and playing what, changing the source, etc... Is there something else or more ?
3) users of Sonos and the plugin, what is your main use or killer application of the Sonos with Indigo ?

Thank you very much to finish to convince me !

Patrick

Posted on
Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:19 pm
nlagaros offline

Re: Questions before buying Sonos

1. Any ZonePlayer with a line-in would work for announcements. You would physically connect the Indigo server to the ZonePlayer. The plugin has an announcement action that will automatically switch the source to play the speech.
2. I wrote the plugin for integration with my Russound whole-house audio system. I wanted to use the Russound keypad to control the Sonos as well as a common control page for all audio in Indigo.
3. Will let others chime in, but for me it is the ability to have some simple controls to hit a playlist, Pandora, or RadioTime station quickly.

DomoPat wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am thinking of buying Sonos HP's to have the same sound all over the house (and sometimes different tunes in the teenager room !) but I could not find clear answers to these questions:

1) can I have the speech messages given by Indigo played on the Sonos ? I guess I need a 'connect' module to send the sound from the Mac Mini to the Sonos, and then I will need to change the source of the signal form whatever to the Mac Mini when necessary, can the plugin do that ?
2) what is the use and benefits of the plugin ? I guess it gives the possibility to Indigo to change which speaker is active and playing what, changing the source, etc... Is there something else or more ?
3) users of Sonos and the plugin, what is your main use or killer application of the Sonos with Indigo ?

Thank you very much to finish to convince me !

Patrick

Posted on
Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:23 am
mat offline

Its great plugin and one that I probably use the most. I use it to:

- select the tv source when the tv is switched on in the sitting room
- select line-in when the projector is switched on
- many group announcements (including announcing in every zone when my mobile is ringing with caller ID if not answered after 10 seconds - saves me running around the house if I don't need to answer)
- switch the source in the bedroom to either music or tv when i trigger one of two bedtime buttons (as part of setting "night" mode)
- I have volume controls and source controls (queue/tv/radio), volume controls, play/pause and next/previous on control pages with each of my 7 zones
- linking zones under curtain triggers and unlinking under others - i.e., if I'm watching a film or TV and go into the kitchen to make a cuppa, the kitchen zone switches on to the film track/tv (links the zone to the sitting room)
- adjust the volume in the kitchen when the extractor hood is switched on/off
- pause/play the kitchen sonos when movement is detected. ditto for dining room
- switch the radio on when I get in the shower in the mornings or a playlist if I shower in the evening (have put a single play one above the shower cubicle)
- linking the dining and sitting room zones when I have guests for diner
- put artist and track, or radio station details on control pages

etc etc

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:05 am
DomoPat offline

Magnifique ! thank you both, it answers my questions and more. It looks like this will be a great addition to the house, I am running to the store to buy one. Well, after Christmas, it is too crazy these days....

Patrick

Posted on
Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:36 am
mat offline

Nigel,

You don't need a bridge "for the cause" do you? I've got a spare I'm not going to use.

Mat

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:00 am
DomoPat offline

Thank you, but I am afraid I will end up with more than one bridge myself. The way their promotions work makes it impossible not to have several bridges...

Patrick

Page 1 of 1