Update button doesn't work.

Posted on
Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:46 am
SSteve offline

Update button doesn't work.

Every now and then my LIFX bulbs get their IP address changed. I get a warning in the log and then I go to the device settings to make the change. When I click the Update button I get an error dialog saying "Communication with the plugin timed out." and an error in the log saying "plugin does not define method update_ip_address".

Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 7.59.53 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 7.59.53 PM.jpg (145.04 KiB) Viewed 1494 times

Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 8.00.54 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 8.00.54 PM.jpg (230.63 KiB) Viewed 1494 times

Posted on
Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:25 am
autolog offline

Re: Update button doesn't work.

SSteve wrote:
Every now and then my LIFX bulbs get their IP address changed. I get a warning in the log and then I go to the device settings to make the change. When I click the Update button I get an error dialog saying "Communication with the plugin timed out." and an error in the log saying "plugin does not define method update_ip_address".]

Thanks for reporting – Looks like an oversight (aka bug). :roll:

I will take a look at it tomorrow and try and figure out a fix.

How do you recover from the situation, if you do?

Normally, I would recommend configuring your router / DHCP to use a fixed IP for the LIFX Lamps. That is what I do, which probably explains why I never got round to testing this option! ;)

Posted on
Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:13 pm
SSteve offline

Re: Update button doesn't work.

autolog wrote:
How do you recover from the situation, if you do?

I delete the last numeral, re-enter it, and hit Tab. If I remember correctly, the new IP address is already in the text field.

autolog wrote:
Normally, I would recommend configuring your router / DHCP to use a fixed IP for the LIFX Lamps.

That is very good advice. However, due to a combination of laziness and disorganization I've never come up with a good system for keeping track of manually-assigned IP addresses on my network. I just dug around and the last document I could find with info about IP addresses was created in 2007 and modified in 2015. It was created in Yojimbo, which no longer runs on my computer but each note is stored in a separate XML file. It has all of three devices listed. I'll have to check to see if those things still have those addresses.

Page 1 of 1