Is manual configuration of LIFX possible?

Posted on
Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:48 am
spiv offline

Is manual configuration of LIFX possible?

Can I create Lifx devices and just manually specify the IP address or the IP address and MAC address?

I have an LED that is physically powered on and off a lot (intentionally) and although it works fine with the Lifx app, discovery doesn't find it.

Posted on
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:46 am
autolog offline

Re: Is manual configuration of LIFX possible?

spiv wrote:
Can I create Lifx devices and just manually specify the IP address or the IP address and MAC address?

I have an LED that is physically powered on and off a lot (intentionally) and although it works fine with the Lifx app, discovery doesn't find it.

No it isn't possible with how the LIFX plugin currently works. It uses a third-party library that requires the that the devices are discovered.

If the LIFX lamp is powered on and you run a discovery, doesn't it discover the LIFX lamp?

There is an option in device settings: No Ack - Enable to ignore 'no ack' and set device to State 'off' instead. This was added following a request from another user who had a similar use case to yours i.e. was removing power from the LIFX lamp by physically switching it off. The lamp must have been previously discovered while powered on, so that the plugin creates an Indigo device to represent the LIFX lamp.

Maybe this will help? :)

Posted on
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:37 pm
spiv offline

Thanks - I’ll try that

(My Python skills are too rusty to hack that library code)

Posted on
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:56 pm
rhanson offline

Any chance of getting this in the plugin?

I guess he finally got around to enabling manual config in his library, which is great. I was successfully able to assign a device by hand using the library without any issue.

Discovery will never work here due to the way I selectively forward mdns across various vlans. After installing the package:

Code: Select all
>>> import lifxlan
>>> lifx = lifxlan.LifxLAN()

>>> lifx.get_lights()
[]     <-- discovery produces nothing

>>> light1=lifxlan.Light("d0:73:d5:xx:xx:xx", "10.20.20.104")   <--success, bulb on a different vlan than indigo server

>>> light1.set_power(1)   <-- it lights up
>>> light1.set_power(0)   <-- turns off

Posted on
Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:10 am
autolog offline

rhanson wrote:
Any chance of getting this in the plugin? ...

It would take a bit of a rework to the plugin to accommodate this. :|

I can see it would be a useful addition and would actually fit into a revised way of working I was thinking about.

At the moment the plugin automatically creates Indigo LIFX devices for LIFX lamps it discovers. I think a better way would be to have the "auto-create" as an option: True/False. In any case, I think you should be able to create a new Indigo LIFX Lamp device and select from a list of known, available (i.e. unassigned) LIFX lamps or manually specify the details (which is what you would like).

I will put it on my todo list but I won't be able to look at it in the immediate future as I have other things stacked up to do. :)

Posted on
Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:40 am
autolog offline

rhanson wrote:
Any chance of getting this in the plugin?

You should be able to do this now - see new pre-release (beta) version: LIFX Controller (6.0.10) Pre-release (beta) Information

You achieve it by clicking New... in the Indigo devices list UI, selecting a device type of LIFX and a Model of LIFX and then completing the MAC Address and IP Address for the LIFX device and ignore selecting a device from the LIFX Device pull-down.

It is still a beta and I haven't tested it using a separate VLAN. :)

Page 1 of 1