No Ack

Posted on
Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:01 pm
autolog offline

Re: No Ack

Your feedback is even more helpful. :D

That's good news and a positive result! Glad it is all working for you now. :)

I will have to put some time aside to try and rectify my system. :wink:

Posted on
Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:20 am
autolog offline

I have now got round to doing some investigation on my network.

I have an all Ubiquiti UniFi network which includes one UniFi AP-Ac-Pro located on the landing ceiling and servicing the whole house.

I was getting fairly regular no-Acks on LIFX devices located further away from the UniFi AP-Ac-Pro that would then recover.

Airtime fairness was already switched off, so that wasn't the issue.

I have now increased the transmit power to a setting of High for the 2.4GHz network, as opposed to Auto.

I am tempting fate here but since doing this I am no longer getting no-acks.

I think having a setting of High is OK if you have a single AP-Ac-Pro but probably not if you have multiple as it can affect roaming.

Fingers crossed that it keeps working OK. :)

Posted on
Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:32 pm
autolog offline

Hi Andy,
AndyVirus wrote:
It goes to no ack after a period of time. Pretty quick. If i turn the bulb on and off a few times via indigo on the 3rd or more times it goes to no ack and i am told “unable to process “TurnOff” for “Lamp” as device not connected. If i restart the plugin it is discovered and works again for a bit. Sometimes on poll it works again but Not always. Restarting the plugin seems to make it work again every time.

Yeah the only reason both lifx bulbs i have are not original 1000s is because one got so hot it terminated itself. Managed to get a newer one on warranty. Keep looking to buy more wheN Amazon has them on offer but waiting for a deal on candle bulbs to see if they are any good/bright enough.

I am just revisiting this. :)

I can definitely cause a lot more no-acks on my system by changing the wi-fi Transmit Power to low. So I have used this to try and see if I can program round these occurrences. I am pleased to say that I am having some success in that I am able to get the plugin to recover better when it receives a no-ack. Hopefully I should have a pre-release for you to try out. It will still need some tidying up before it goes to production status but it would be interesting to see if it improves the situation for you. Hopefully I should have it available tomorrow. :)

Changing my Transmit Power to high seems to remove most (if not all) the no-acks, hence having to set it low for testing. :)

Posted on
Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:04 pm
AndyVirus offline

Thanks Jon! I will install this and test as soon as you're ready.

Posted on
Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:57 pm
autolog offline

AndyVirus wrote:
Thanks Jon! I will install this and test as soon as you're ready.

PM sent with link to special version. :)

Posted on
Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:38 am
koensayr offline

FWIW, I am also having the same issue here and also running a Ubiquity Network. I'm going to give disabling Airtime Fairness a shot and see what happens. I've finally found some time to troubleshoot this so I'm glad it seems I'm not the only one with the issue.

-Josh

Posted on
Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:48 pm
teejay6 offline

I am also experiencing the "no ack" issue on v1.5.7.
I can control the bulbs with the LIFX app.
I can see that the bulbs are connected to my WiFi network with the eero app.
But 2 out of the 4 LIFX bulbs are showing a "no ack" state on Indigo, and won't respond to Indigo commands.
Any help with how to troubleshoot or get the bulbs connected back to Indigo would be appreciated.
Thanks

Posted on
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:59 pm
autolog offline

Coincidentally, I am currently in the middle of developing and alpha-testing Version 6 of the LIFX plugin which has had major code refactoring and enhancements to its code. The aim being to be able to manually setup devices without having to do a discovery. The current way of doing things will be maintained by specifying "auto-create" devices but otherwise you can specify the MAC Address and IP address of a LIFX device or select from a pull-down of discovered devices to setup a new Indigo LIFX device.

This version also includes extensive changes to ease and recover from the "no-ack" problem. It will probably take me a few weeks (hopefully sooner if all goes well) to get it to a state where I can upload it to Github so that it can be downloaded for beta testing by interested users.

In the meanwhile, probably the simplest situation is to just reload the plugin - not ideal I know. :(

Posted on
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:31 pm
teejay6 offline

Thanks, I will look forward to it.

Posted on
Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:29 pm
7rdr7 offline

Looking forward to the new release Jon! I thought that I had eliminated the no-ack, but it did return. Currently I have a scheduled event every 15 min that restarts the plugin if any of the bulbs are in no-ack. So not a big problem. Appreciate your contributions to Indigo!

Posted on
Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:25 pm
autolog offline

I am in the final stage of alpha testing of Version 6.

All things being equal I hope to upload a pre-release beta update to Github within the the next 72 hours. :)

The potential good news is that I am optimistic that I have got on top of the "No Ack' problem. The the plugin is much better able to recover from these situations which are normally caused by network communication problems. So the only way that a LIFX device will now stay permanently in 'No Ack' is if there is an ongoing communication issue e.g. the LIFX device has been physically switched off.

There have been a lot of internal changes to the plugin and I just need to complete the Actions testing which are throwing a few errors at the moment.

However, I am confident enough in progress to-date that I have this evening installed the update on my production Indigo system. :D

I'll keep you posted. :)

Posted on
Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:43 am
autolog offline

I have now pushed a beta of Version 6 to Github and it is available for download here: LIFX Plugin Version 6

If you install this beta, you will need to do the following (this is a once off):
  • Edit the plugin configuration, check the new settings and then save it
  • Edit each of your Indigo LIFX devices and select the relevant LIFX device from the pull-down list of discovered LIFX devices to assign to this Indigo LIFX device being edited

In the plugin config you can specify the number of recovery attempts before a LIFX device will go into a no ack state and also the number of seconds between attempts. A LIFX device that is in a no ack state will be checked every polling cycle. You can also try to recover a no ack state by disabling and enabling the LIFX device is in the Indigo device list UI - uncheck and then check the Comm Enabled check box for the LIFX device. When a LIFX device is in recovery the State in the Indigo device UI will change to recovery active [n] where n is the current recovery attempt. If a device is in a no ack state, issuing a command e.g. Turn On / Turn Off will attempt a recovery.

Full documentation will follow once I have completed all the changes. In the meanwhile, post any questions to the forum. :)

Posted on
Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:37 pm
7rdr7 offline

Thanks Jon. Loaded!

Posted on
Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:37 pm
7rdr7 offline

Hey Jon,
I'm seeing no-acks from a number of z-wave devices since I applied the update. Any way the update could affect other devices?
Thanks Ron

Posted on
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:51 am
autolog offline

Hi Ron,
7rdr7 wrote:
I'm seeing no-acks from a number of z-wave devices since I applied the update. Any way the update could affect other devices?

I think, highly unlikely as the plugin has no interaction with Z-Wave devices, only LIFX.

Are you seeing any info in the log from the plugin around the time you are getting the Z-Wave problems?