Lots of data sent from LIFX Plugin?

Posted on
Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:04 pm
Nidocamen offline

Lots of data sent from LIFX Plugin?

I'm running an latest Indigo 6 version of the plugin 3.5.1 (to go to v7 I will need to do a lot of re-coding and don't have the time right now). Anyways, after doing some debugging with a different plugin and looking at some network traffic issues, I found that the LIFX plugin seems to send and receive much more data than I thought it would. It appears to send and receive about 1 MB of information (based on watching Activity Monitor with all other plugins turned off).

I only have 7 LIFX lights. I know your plugin most likely is trying to get constant updates from the lights, but why is it "pushing out" so many updates, too? My entire system is sitting at idle and yet a bunch of data is going out!

I'm not concerned that it's screwing up my network at 1 MB per minute, but for the tiny amounts of data for light status, it seems a bit much. Can the developer explain this? (I've been playing around [separately] with lifxlan, and I know that the raw commands really don't send that much stuff out...so, what's up?)

Thanks!

--Joe

Posted on
Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:39 am
autolog offline

Re: Lots of data sent from LIFX Plugin?

Hi Joe,

I have asked the developer, and he has advised that he is now only supporting the latest Indigo 7 version. :wink:

On a more serious note and having said that, what does the Activity Monitor > Network entry show for the specific LIFX process? When the plugin starts, Indigo identifies the PID and this can be used to identify the process - so you don't need to stop other plugins.

The LIFX plugin polls for status requests and should be receiving a lot more data than it is sending to the lamps e.g 1MB sent, 15MB received, type of ratio (for the latest version of the plugin). It really depends on the number of lamps you have and what you have the polling set to, as to the amount of traffic generated. I have my polling set to 30 seconds for my thirteen LIFX lamps. My network utilisation is approximately 2MB a minute. The plugin isn't doing anything abnormal when using LIFXLAN AFAIK.

Hope this helps but other than that, I can't offer any further explanation. :)

Page 1 of 1