Discovery Failure

Posted on
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:34 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Discovery Failure

SO a while back I added four LIFX devices on the network and they were discovered by the plugin just fine... I believe they worked for a bit but then may have stopped -- but the WiFI wasn't the most stable at that time. I have since redone the WiFi network and they all have good connections as shown in the LIFX app. I can see their status and control via the app. However, the plugin fails to discover them:

The number of previously known LIFX devices awaiting discovery is 4.
LIFX Device 1: 'North Porch [mac] is not yet visible on the network and therefore a further discovery is required'
(repeated for each device)

The lights are on the network and working via the app. One thing I noticed is that when it says "Discovery is starting (this can take up to 60 seconds) . . ." it returns in a second or less. After I turned on some debugging 2 were discovered one time, then not again. Is there something I can do in order to debug this... or increase the time of discovery to try that or something?

Thanks!
Adam

Posted on
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:06 pm
autolog offline

Re: Discovery Failure

Hi Adam,
It doesn't seem right that discovery ends very quickly :?

Are your LIFX bulbs and Indigo server on the same network?

The plugin uses the LIFXLAN library and so it is just a one statement call from the plugin to the library to do the discovery. So there isn't much debugging that can be done at the plugin level.

Taking a quick look at the LIFXLAN code, you can potentially alter the timeout seconds and number of repeats.
assuming you are on the latest version from the plugin store (5.0.9), you can alter these values by changing line 205 of lifxlan.py in the lifxlan folder in the server Plugin folder.

However, I suspect there is another issue as when I do a discovery on my network it takes about 10 -15 seconds to find 13 bulbs.

It is just after 23:00 hours here in the UK, so I will check any feedback tomorrow. :)

Posted on
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:22 am
amannone offline

Hi there.
I'm having issue with one device not being discovered. I bought two additional bulbs for my setup just before Christmas. The Mini Color was discovered on the first try however the A19 bulb will not discover at all. (I did have to try a few times to get it added in the Lifx app and Home Kit but i can control that bulb either way now.) All my existing bulbs are Mini Colors and have been working fine.

When performing a discovery to find the A19, I see this message in the log:
Code: Select all
All known and enabled LIFX devices have been discovered. No further discoveries will be scheduled.
If a further discovery is required, reload the plugin or run the LIFX Control Action: 'Discover LIFX Devices'.

No matter how often I reload the plugin or run the discovery action, it will not find the A19.

The computer running Indigo is on a hard wired connection and also connected to the same 2.4 GHz wifi SSID the bulbs are on .
Indigo is running 7.4
I'm using the latest LIFX plugin (5.1.1.) from the plugin store.
Both the discovered Mini and the here-to-undiscovered A19 bulb (regular, not IR) are on the latest firmware from LIFX (V3.50).

Thanks for any assistance. Let me know if you need any additional information from me to help troubleshoot.
-Andrew

Posted on
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:54 am
autolog offline

Sorry to hear you are having problems with discovery? :|

I can't see any reason why it shouldn't be discovering an A19 as it it is not a new LIFX model. :?

How many LIFX bulbs have you got and what firmware versions are they?
My bulbs are mainly A19+ and on firmware 2.77 - no indication on the LIFX app that there is any update available.

In the LIFX App, under Settings for the A19 bulb, what does the Wi-Fi strength show?

Posted on
Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:29 pm
amannone offline

Hi Jon,
Thanks for the quick response. It's very puzzling.

This will be the 9th LIFX device in my setup. All the bulbs are running V3.5 firmware. The A19 in question shows it's got a full wifi strength.
IMG_3834.jpg
Wifi status
IMG_3834.jpg (107.68 KiB) Viewed 3473 times

Any other ideas to try?
Cheers,
-Andrew

Posted on
Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:04 pm
autolog offline

Clutching at a straw here but I think that the issue might be that A19 not being recognised is a new sub model LIFX (A19) LCM3.

I googled on LIFX A19 "LCM3" and came across a few recent posts reporting problems with other systems. :(

Have you got any other A19s and if so what are their model types?

Posted on
Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:02 pm
amannone offline

Oh, that might be it. This was the first A19 device I bought from LIFX it was part of their holiday promotions.

Bollox. I was gonna include it in my NYE party lighting along with the rest of my devices.
Oh well.

Thanks for the assistance!

Posted on
Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:35 pm
autolog offline

Hi Andrew,

Just to clarify; do you have other A19s and if so is the model type different?

If I have the answer to this, I may be able to do a work-around. :)

Posted on
Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:06 am
autolog offline

Hi Andrew,
Could you do one further thing for me?

Restart the plugin so that it does its discovery and then either post or PM me the discovery output (from start to finish) from the event log. :)

Posted on
Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:54 pm
autolog offline

Hi Andrew,
amannone wrote:
Oh, that might be it. This was the first A19 device I bought from LIFX it was part of their holiday promotions.

Bollox. I was gonna include it in my NYE party lighting along with the rest of my devices.
Oh well.

Thanks for the assistance!

I have uploaded a new version of the plugin to the Indigo Plugin Store.

I don't think it will immediately fix your issue but hopefully it will identify if your new A19 is not in the LIFX product table. If that is the case a message will be output showing the product Id and I should be able to add it into the plugin. :)

Posted on
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:41 am
autolog offline

Hi Andrew,
I have uploaded another update to the Indigo Plugin Store which has an updated definition for your new A19 LIFX bulb.
Hopefully it will work for you. :)

Page 1 of 1