Indigo Users' Matter Thread

Forum rules

No spam or trolling allowed -- please keep topics and posts respectful.

Posted on
Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:11 am
dduff617 offline

Indigo Users' Matter Thread

My sense is that the new Matter standard will continue to grow in importance in coming months. I propose a thread in this forum to serve as a focal point for discussion of Matter, Thread, and related topics, especially aspects relevant to the Indigo user community.

Some starter ideas/topics for this thread:
  • Will Indigo interface with upcoming works-with-Matter devices coming late this year? If so, how?
  • Will Indigo expose existing devices to Matter (i.e., with something along the lines of HomeBridge)?
  • How should we conceptualize the Matter<->Indigo relationship? Does IndigoDomo have a roadmap or a "vision" they can share?
  • What role will Indigo play in a future world (i.e., one with Matter and without Insteon)?
  • Will Matter be a "native" protocol in Indigo (i.e., as Insteon was)? or will we have a third party plugin?
  • What products can one buy (now/soon) with hope of future compatibility?
  • What plugins/products (e.g., Thread-based?) can we try that will let us try/evaluate what Matter will look like and how it could work with Indigo?
  • What new Matter products are out there? (obviously of more relevance in future months)
  • What specific "bridge" options exist (indigo-based or otherwise) for those with investment in Insteon HW? or for Z-Wave?

Please chime in and follow this thread if you are also interested.

Indigo.png
Indigo.png (44.7 KiB) Viewed 7592 times
Matter.png
Matter.png (5.95 KiB) Viewed 7592 times
thread.png
thread.png (10.2 KiB) Viewed 7592 times

Posted on
Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:47 am
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Indigo Users' Matter Thread

I'm 100% certain you're not going to get any substantive response from the Indigo team until 2022.1 is out the door. Possibly 2022.2. They're too busy and there's too little substantive information about Matter available at this time.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:15 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Here's all we have to say about Matter, Insteon, and Indigo for now.

One additional comment: we're quite surprised by the number of customers who seem to have totally missed Z-Wave support in Indigo years ago. We're hearing a lot to the effect of "what will Indigo do now that Insteon is dead"? We have not been reliant on Insteon as our primary technology for many years... :wink:

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:36 pm
dduff617 offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
I'm 100% certain you're not going to get any substantive response from the Indigo team until 2022.1 is out the door. Possibly 2022.2. They're too busy and there's too little substantive information about Matter available at this time.

Good observation - thanks. Based on experience, I was assuming Matt and Jay would be their usual "conservative" selves in their comments about upcoming releases. If I were simply asking them for details or timing about future features, I wouldn't expect input from them on this thread, aside from their usual "no comment" response.

I'll point out that I titled this "Indigo Users's Matter Thread" - assuming the participants would be other Indigo users. Admittedly, some of the "starter topics" I offered were phrased in the form of questions for the developers, but I think they could equally well be thought of as general questions for the user community to ponder and speculate on.

Posted on
Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:43 pm
norcoscia offline

OK, so if Z-Wave is the primary tech why are you guys not at least making an effort to implement support for z-wave firmware updates within Indigo? - big sigh….

_______
Norm

Posted on
Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:52 pm
dduff617 offline

jay (support) wrote:
[url=https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?p=209245#p209245]we're quite surprised by the number of customers who seem to have totally missed Z-Wave support in Indigo years ago. We're hearing a lot to the effect of "what will Indigo do now that Insteon is dead"? We have not been reliant on Insteon as our primary technology for many years... :wink:

Jay, thanks for the input.

I have about 40-50 z-wave devices in my system. I'm VERY happy that I've been able to keep working with Indigo as the core of my HA architecture while branching out into Z-wave. IndigoDomo's great work and progress in this area enabled me to add door locks, thermostats, window shades, and other devices that would not have been possible otherwise.

So Z-wave is definitely good. I'm glad we have it. I'm glad Indigo supports it.

Does Z-wave "have legs" - i.e., can it serve as a base protocol to build upon? .... or more pragmatically, is it something that I can feel ok about buying and installing now with confidence it will function and serve my needs 5-10 yrs ahead? I see at least two distinct ways to approach that question:

1. Is Z-wave (as a protocol) "good enough"?

For me, some signs point to "no". We're getting towards 10 years into z-wave being "supported" to some degree in Indigo, but big important barriers remain :

A Z-wave network can only have 232 devices - that seems a bit like I'm heading down a protocol dead-end. Is 232 enough? It's a catch-22 answer - if z-wave got really popular, then that number almost certainly would NOT be enough for many households (including my own). Otoh, if z-wave remains a "niche" technology, then I'll probably not run hard into that limit.

Z-wave pays lip service to being "secure", but the reality of my experience is that z-wave encryption is mostly vapor so far. .

Z-wave (the protocol) supposedly supports things like over-the-air software updates. As devices become more sophisticated, this will become much more important. Today's reality for me is that I've not yet seen any updates that work with my devices nor within Indigo.

Z-wave hasn't tackled user convenience issues such as device inclusion. No two z-wave device types I've ever added to my system behaved the same way with regard to inclusion. 6 of the last 7 devices I've added to network took multiple retries, despite my following the instructions painstakingly. Sometimes network inclusion works, sometimes it simply does not. Half the time, I suspect I'm reading badly-translated instructions.

Z-wave sometimes claims to support advanced features (such as associations), but those features are almost never included in the docs/manuals available to "normal users". Want to program something like a z-wave scene controller to do something useful in your system? Good luck - you're left guessing or using trial and error to figure out what works and what doesn't.

Z-wave has the concept of "command classes" - ok, sounds good. However as a user, I feel like the implementation details leave a lot to be desired. There are standard command classes for lighting controls, but no two models of switch I've used thus far use the same way of controlling something simple like "ramp rate" or default on-level - instead each has it's own idiosyncratic ways. Every device seems to require half an hour of work to figure out how to really get it to do what you want.

It took time and effort to get my z-wave devices included, encrypted (in a few cases), and set up. If I need to migrate to a different system or a different z-wave interface (z-stick), I have to start all the way over again from scratch. For some of my devices, I had so much trouble during the inclusion process, I had no choice but to bring the device near my z-stick for inclusion. Now those devices are screwed into my walls and doors throughout my house, so I'm looking at a multi-hour process if I need to migrate or reset my z-stick. Does this happen often? Fortunately, not. Is this a problem that should be solved by now? Yes.

2. Is Z-wave going to win out in the market (or at least survive)? Maybe. Due partly to problems I cited above and partly to other factors like marketing, z-wave doesn't seem well positioned to play in today's world where stuff on the shelves of Walmart has labels on the side of the box that say, e.g., "works with HomeKit". The whole idea of explaining to joe consumer what it means to "work with" z-wave is hard. So is explaining why they're not getting the supposed signal reliability of z-wave in their two-device network between their computer in the basement and their light switch in their 2nd-story bedroom. Empirically, it doesn't feel to me like z-wave is getting much of the "buzz" in the last few years in the HA market. Known brands like Hue and Nest don't use z-wave. Even within some market niches where z-wave competes for HA hobbyists (sensors, modules), I'm feeling more heat in the zigbee camp with the likes of Aqara and even Ikea.

Jay, If the answer to "what will Indigo do now that Insteon is dead?" is "Z-wave", or even "mainly Z-wave" then that's very useful to know.

EDIT: spelling.
Last edited by dduff617 on Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:36 am
howartp offline

norcoscia wrote:
OK, so if Z-Wave is the primary tech why are you guys not at least making an effort to implement support for z-wave firmware updates within Indigo? - big sigh….
Nothings going to happen until 2022.1/.2 are out but I’ve opened conversation with Matt to see if we can move on some of these. Obviously no commitment from either side but know that I am looking at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:49 am
norcoscia offline

I know they are busy with the python stuff but I’m pretty sure based on Jay’s comments on a different thread — nothing is ever going happen with this and lots of other stuff - I feel like I’m on a boat drifting around slowly..

Dduff617 - really good write up. You have captured so many of the issues with z-wave (at least for most users). I would also like to point out that the higher processing load and higher freq. / bit rate of z-wave compared to Insteon means to do the same job more power is needed - this is just how it works on this planet. Good engineering can minimize it but it is an issue that works against z-wave compared to the simpler hardware and lower freq/bit rate of Insteon.

Hope others keep this thread active!

_______
Norm

Posted on
Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:54 am
WagnerOne offline

I have a lot of INSTEON remaining in my setup with Z-wave attendance growing substantially over time. It's supplanting INSTEON in my home, but it's slow going.

However, Z-wave is and always has seemed niche to me. To be fair, INSTEON always seemed niche too. But, it was around when basically all HA was niche, so that wasn't too surprising.

Every so often I search for things I feel I need in my system like "Z-Wave bulbs" and come up empty. My set of INSTEON bulbs are dying off one by one at this point and I don't know what to replace them with. I used to be able to find Z-Wave bulbs, but now it's difficult. The one or two places that seem to carry them occasionally charge an arm and a leg for a single bulb.

I finally am replacing the last of my X10 devices (2 "X10 Chimes") with Z-wave equivalent of some sort and have been disappointed. I just want something that plugs in, runs on electric, and is easy to manage. I bought a $35 Dome Z-Wave Siren and Chime, played with it a full morning trying to get it to do what I wanted, failed, and now it's sat, abandoned for the past few weeks while I steel myself to try again. heh

It technically can do more, but operating it is a pain. It seems less responsive and changing the sounds/tones/volume on the fly is clunky, slow, and unreliable (i.e., not practical), so I can really only rely on it to make "1 sound". Anyway, it's frustrating.

Half the time, when I search for Z-wave as specifically as I can, I get a bunch of returns for other protocols - ZigBee most of the time. I'm like, "I don't want ZigBee. I didn't ask for ZigBee. Show me the dang Z-Wave stuff", DuckDuckGo/Amazon!

Posted on
Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:40 am
howartp offline

Two things:

1) Re your siren, if you ask for help we can usually either guide you through it or add support for a feature either natively or via plugin.

2) Are you aware of how to exclude search terms in Google? Add a -minus sign before -words you want to -exclude from your search. It’s not 100% foolproof, but it will narrow things down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:19 am
WagnerOne offline

howartp wrote:
Two things:
1) Re your siren, if you ask for help we can usually either guide you through it or add support for a feature either natively or via plugin.

2) Are you aware of how to exclude search terms in Google? Add a -minus sign before -words you want to -exclude from your search. It’s not 100% foolproof, but it will narrow things down.

Thanks, @howartp, for your reply. I chose this siren partly due to it having native support. It's just a limitation of the device's features implementation.

I should have not included a public search engine in my post. They typically do respect search conditionals while Amazon search engine is notorious for ignoring them and promoting something/anything if they can't provide what you're seeking. - thus the, "I know you searched for Z-wave (bulbs), but we don't have any, so here is a bunch of other protocol devices."

Posted on
Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:31 am
DaveL17 offline

Looks like Inovelli (which doesn't sell on Amazon anymore that I can tell) has RGBW bulbs for $30 in stock. Inovelli is a good company and they back up their stuff.

Some of the issue is the shortage of Z-Wave chips I'm sure. Demand is exceeding supply, and that's been super frustrating.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:40 am
norcoscia offline

I took a quick look and fond Inovelli stuff at amazon. Link to bulbs below - I don’t own any Inovelli, they always seemed a touch pricy and when I go to their site I always find a lot of refurbished z-wave stuff. That makes me a bit nervous- installing z-wave stuff is a pain and if you need to replace something - well that is even more of a pain. It would be good to hear from a few users that have used that brand and find out if they have experienced any issues with operability, failures or support.

https://www.amazon.com/Dimmable-SmartTh ... 527&sr=8-3

_______
Norm

Posted on
Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:50 am
WagnerOne offline

norcoscia wrote:
I took a quick look and fond Inovelli stuff at amazon. Link to bulbs below - I don’t own any Inovelli, they always seemed a touch pricy and when I go to their site I always find a lot of refurbished z-wave stuff. That makes me a bit nervous- installing z-wave stuff is a pain and if you need to replace something - well that is even more of a pain. It would be good to hear from a few users that have used that brand and find out if they have experienced any issues with operability, failures or support.

https://www.amazon.com/Dimmable-SmartTh ... 527&sr=8-3

Inovelli are about the only ones I find anymore except Aeotech. I don't have any of their stuff mainly because they've been out of stock when I've had money and was ready to purchase. They do seem pricy.

Aeotech stuff has always been impressive and I have a few of their sensors. They have (had?) a bulb, but they're the most expensive of any home automation parts I've ever seen! :D

It's interesting I've had a very similar reaction as @ norcoscia regarding the Inovelli site and their inventory. Even before the pandemic/supply chain issues arose it seemed to often be this way IIRC.

Posted on
Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:17 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

norcoscia wrote:
It would be good to hear from a few users that have used that brand and find out if they have experienced any issues with operability, failures or support.

I have a house full of Inovelli Red switches and fan controllers. Their feature set, including notifications (which are amazing), LED management, etc., is not equaled to any other company IMO. And the fan switch is the closest thing to the Insteon FanLinc/KeypadLinc combo that I've found. They've been in place for about 16 months and have had no failures.

I have one issue with an Inovelli switch: if you accidentally hit the config button, which is right next to the top right side of the paddle, just before you press the up paddle, nothing happens. There's apparently a noticeable delay between hitting the config button and when the up can be pressed. It's not an issue anywhere except in a bathroom where the switch level is a bit lower standard height (lack of space, so had to stack two switches). I constantly hit the config button while trying to turn on the switch. I'm going to replace that one with a Zooz dimmer because it's just so annoying. I haven't contacted support about it since I have a Zooz switch that I can replace it with already, so it's not a big deal for me.

The Zooz and HomeSeer switches are my next favorite - they have good control over the LEDs (color, brightness) and offer the standard medium to high end features (ramp rates, etc) that Inovelli offers. Zooz has a great switch with a dimmer paddle and a relay button - perfect for bathrooms that need a dimmer for lights and a switch for the exhaust fan. My home has lots of very tight jbox locations so having switches with multiple functions is very useful.

Right now, the Z-Wave chip shortage is the primary reason for device supply shortage. I think that will start to get better as the year progresses.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn