How do you organize folder?

Forum rules

No spam or trolling allowed -- please keep topics and posts respectful.

Posted on
Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:15 am
MarcoGT offline

How do you organize folder?

Typical question of a boring Saturday afternoon :D

How do you organize folders in Indigo?
Something like

Code: Select all
Motion Sensors
       Bedroom
       Living Room

Or something like

Code: Select all
Bedroom
     Motion Sensor
     Bedlight

:D

Thanks

Posted on
Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:39 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: How do you organize folder?

I choose to have folders with room names for object class (devices, triggers, schedules, and action groups). So each object class has a "Living Room" folder, for example. I also have a few folders which aren't rooms--Charts, Outdoors, Weather, etc. I only have one control pages folder ("deprecated") since I typically only use one control page per room.

I also have a partially-implemented system of tags that I use to find groups of things-- [light] or [switch], etc.----which are in the notes field. I use the Indigo UI search field to find like elements by searching on a tag name. This approach works well, but it doesn't support complex searching such as AND, NOT and so on. Still quite useable IMO.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:35 am
jltnol offline

I don't really have an answer for you... I 'tend to organize devices by the room where they live. Triggers and Action groups, at least for me, are kind of organized, but far from perfect. Some Triggers and Actions do stuff in multiple rooms, so its hard to organize, at least for me, in a super meaningful way.

And while I've mentioned this several times, I wish that Indigo would allow organization much like iTunes (now Music) does. You can have a song in any number of play lists, so devices, triggers, actions, and schedules could be put anywhere. Often, when I'm trying to solve a problem, I've got to move between all of the above master folders and sub folders multiple times during problem solving. But if every device, trigger, and action I was working on were all in the same folder, that process would be so much easier.

Posted on
Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:45 am
ryanbuckner offline

DaveL17 wrote:
I choose to have folders with room names for object class (devices, triggers, schedules, and action groups). So each object class has a "Living Room" folder, for example. I also have a few folders which aren't rooms--Charts, Outdoors, Weather, etc. I only have one control pages folder ("deprecated") since I typically only use one control page per room.

I also have a partially-implemented system of tags that I use to find groups of things-- [light] or [switch], etc.----which are in the notes field. I use the Indigo UI search field to find like elements by searching on a tag name. This approach works well, but it doesn't support complex searching such as AND, NOT and so on. Still quite useable IMO.

This is my approach as well. It's not great but I haven't seen any major heartache so far.

Posted on
Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:09 pm
Dual offline

I’m not using Indigo like most folks. I use it for home monitoring and protection. No lighting or window shades etc beyond exterior lights for security purposes. My folders are by function generally:

- Alarm System
- Door Locks
- Energy Monitoring
- Freezer and Fridge
- HVAC
- Smart Plugs
- Water Detection
- Water Systems
- Weather

These same folders appear as needed in Devices, Triggers, Schedules and Action Groups.

I have two control pages. Nothing pretty. Jammed full of as much info as possible. I have 118 indicators/controls on my main control page. And another 54 on my secondary control page. If I could fit them all on one control page I would. I like to see everything at a glance. I use colors to quickly draw my attention to anything out of the ordinary. There only a handful of things I regularly control from a control page. Mostly for monitoring the status of all the items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:21 am
Different Computers online

Mine is a mix.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Page 1 of 1