Covid-19 Community Check In

Forum rules

No spam or trolling allowed -- please keep topics and posts respectful.

Posted on
Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:00 pm
kw123 offline

Re: Covid-19 Community Check In

In Dallas stay at home was extended to May 20.. another 50 days to go.

Karl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:23 pm
akimball offline

I’m not seeing why the stay at home orders are so much more important than the right to make a living. I’ll do it as long as required, to be a good citizen, but honestly I’m beginning to see diminishing returns on our all staying home for that much longer.

-Al

Posted on
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:08 pm
mundmc offline

akimball wrote:
I’m not seeing why the stay at home orders are so much more important than the right to make a living. I’ll do it as long as required, to be a good citizen, but honestly I’m beginning to see diminishing returns on our all staying home for that much longer.
I have friends who work at Elmhurst Hospital in Queens. I know NYC is especially vulnerable due to the population density and mass transit, but I don’t wish this on anybody. I also have friends who own mom and pop restaurants in the suburbs who have been really financially hurt.

My hope is, if it turns out that the overwhelming majority of people have been exposed/ carried/ transmitted/ asymptomatically, the response will need to change to returning to work while protecting the vulnerable. Only thing is- it’s not entirely predictable who gets really sick.

It’s hard. The scariest thing to me is the amount of doctors who are quite honestly saying, “we don’t know.”

Posted on
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:08 pm
akimball offline

mundmc wrote:
scariest thing to me is the amount of doctors who are quite honestly saying, “we don’t know.”

...and they’ve never ever had to know. Life is a risk. Right now the “mr. Scientist” comes out in any doctor you ask, and they’re giving the right answers, but for some reason society now expects zero tolerance for any risk at all. IMHO.

-Al

Posted on
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:31 pm
rehafer offline

My Mother has related stories from her Grandmother, who the only one in the extended family who didn’t get the Spanish Flu. It was really horrible and there’s still not an accurate death count. But, they carried on best they could because there was no expectation of any outside help.

Posted on
Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:18 pm
mundmc offline

Covid-19 Community Check In

akimball wrote:
mundmc wrote:
scariest thing to me is the amount of doctors who are quite honestly saying, “we don’t know.”

...and they’ve never ever had to know. Life is a risk. Right now the “mr. Scientist” comes out in any doctor you ask, and they’re giving the right answers, but for some reason society now expects zero tolerance for any risk at all. IMHO.
I don’t know if I follow the mr. scientist part, but you are right in that most people are very uncomfortable with probabilistic directives.

When most people say sentences beginning with, “they say...” it’s amusing because I know “them.” Right now, “they” remain uncertain about a lot of variables.

Stay safe and healthy :) !

Edit: Just read back a few posts, so sorry about your mother-in-law and the isolation :(

Posted on
Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:15 am
kw123 offline

I guess the "stay at home" vs "let it spread" (and I am simplifying the 2 options) is due to:
if the capacity of our health system is overwhelmed - and we are very close in the USA, then the death rate (x = #of death/#of infected) goes up dramatically from x% to 10x% as there are no free incubators and every new patient that requires them will die within a day -- And there will not be1million infected but 100+million, so
x% times 1million vs
10x%times 100+Million ..
and those that survive the incubators will likely have serious lung problems for the rest of their lives.

So the choice is ours to keep it at 10-100k death in the USA vs several millions and it will be much more that 3 million.

And right now we are kind of muddling through, "we don't have to isolate as we don't have that here" , "we are not NYC" .. "did not know that it can spread from people that show no symptoms" ...
And then the idiots: pray it away, the tora will protect us, a bottle of vodka will solve it, the folks in the slums are immune ..
I could tolerate this if it would be just self de-selecting evolution, but unfortunately those folks will not just kill their gand moms but others too. AND it will prolong the whole issue, as there will be reinfections and then we will have https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu#Around_the_globe
Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 06.11.44.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 06.11.44.png (17.61 KiB) Viewed 3677 times
It will be back in fall.

really agitated and can not sleep Karl
Last edited by kw123 on Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:41 pm
tazswe offline

The positive things is that Shelly in Bulgaria have started with express delivery because regular mail is not working between countries is Europe.

So instead of waiting 7-10 days it took less than 24 hours before I could se a guy on my Doorbird that dropped of a package, rang on the doorbell and run to his van to avoid any human contact with me. All shipping companies are signing themselves during this Corona crisis.

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:56 pm
ryanbuckner offline

Things here in Northern VA are going well. It seems that half the country has decided they are bored with the pandemic and half the country is mostly staying home and quiet. Numbers continue to surge and ICUs are over crowded.

But we have a vaccine, and hopefully it reaches everyone soon!

Posted on
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:56 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Here in Montana our Big Sky and low dispersed population has really helped us keep it down.
Good thing as most here think it’s a hoax and/or simply refuse to wear a mask.

Carl

Posted on
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:16 am
durosity offline

kw123 wrote:
And then the idiots: pray it away, the tora will protect us, a bottle of vodka will solve it

It will be back in fall.

really agitated and can not sleep Karl

Well you pretty much hit the nail on the head. It’s just got worse and worse and worse here in the uk (I think we now have the most deaths per capita of any developed nation.. although it’s hard to judge as so many countries are deliberately under reporting the death toll ). I do feel like the government have been doing everything they can to help spread it.

However that said most people I know are safe and well and not many have succumbed to it. My friends dad died on Xmas day due to it, but he was 96 and suffering from Cancer and he passed very quickly, so if anything it was a mercy it wasn’t dragged out as expected. One of the few silver linings I guess.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:13 am
jalves offline

Resurrecting this thread to report that my wife & I got our second dose of the Pfizer vax 7 days ago and are feeling fine. The only side effects was soreness at the injection site. That cleared up in 36-48 hours for both of us.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:41 pm
kw123 offline

We are 10 days after first Pfizer shot

There is light at the end of the tunnel

Karl.

Last edited by kw123 on Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:21 pm
roquej offline

The VA is providing vaccines to veterans without age and pre-existing condition requirements. Of course, based on availability. Had my first Moderna vaccine shot last week. A bit of sore arm, nothing major.

JP

Posted on
Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:54 am
norcoscia offline

Can you help me find that, I have only heard they are giving shots based on CDC criteria

_______
Norm