Covid-19 Community Check In

Forum rules

No spam or trolling allowed -- please keep topics and posts respectful.

Posted on
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:25 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi Folks,

I optimistically hope everyone in our community and their family and friends are healthy and safe. I know this is a difficult time, and unfortunately will be for many more months.

Here (in a Dallas suburb) the reported cases are still relatively low, but we aren't anywhere near having widespread testing yet. Local officials are encouraging social distancing, my son's university has switched to online classes for the rest of the semester (so he is back home), and my daughter has, at the very least, an extra week of spring break (I seriously doubt she'll go back at all this semester though). My wife works for a different school district and they've extended her spring break and I doubt too she will be going back to work this semester. Restaurants are open and still pretty busy; I suspect that will change soon. Finding toilet paper (actually any paper products) in local grocery stores / Costco has been difficult, and the meat and produce aisles have been wiped pretty bare at some stores (do people not realize that bananas will only keep for a week???). All just minor inconveniences. Our medical health care structure is still functioning okay right now. All in all, we are doing okay here but I realize we are further behind the infection curve compared to a lot of other countries.

How are you all doing?

Posted on
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:38 am
Korey offline

Re: Covid-19 Community Check In

Same craziness here in Nevada, empty shelves everywhere, people are nuts.

I am an Audio Engineer in the Live events industry and my Wife is a stage manager, all our work has been cancelled or postponed for the foreseeable future. :(

--
Korey

Posted on
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:45 am
gillekes offline

We are almost in lockdown here in Portugal. All schools are closed, major events are cancelled, beaches are closed. My guess is that next week all restaurants, cafes, etc will also close as is in Spain and Italy at the moment.
Only essential food supply, health and security will be open to the public.
Who can work from home is doing it at this moment.
Hard times...

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:38 am
neilk offline

We have just moved our business into full remote working across Europe. Here in the UK things are reasonably in control and normal (apart from the supermarkets that have been cleared of pasta, toilet roll, rice, flour, paracetamol, Ketchup ! and hand sanitiser(s). A bit of a strange sense of we know it is coming, we just don't know when and how bad. Certainly the UK government has taken a different approach to most with schools still opening and generally "Keep Calm and Carry On". I just heard a few moments ago that in the Netherlands all schools, pubs, restaurants are to close for 3 weeks, Now pubs, that is serious.

Expect spikes in the divorce rate (and maybe the birth rate) with no sport to watch and people horror of horrors having to talk to our families. Alternately I could finish off my Jaguar/Land Rover plugin and get started on the energy one I am thinking about.

In all seriousness keep safe everyone, and if you need help then shout even if you need some social engagement with the social distancing.

Posted on
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:55 am
howartp offline

Ditto Neilk.

I work in UK secondary school (ages 11-18) and were just waiting to be closed by government.

Church is cancelling some groups/events but worship and young people groups all going ahead at present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:03 pm
jalves offline

We are well here in central FL. We live just a couple of miles from the Disney Magic Kingdom and you would think if there was to be a hotspot it would be here because of all the travelers. But so far, so good for us. We are in the age group that needs to be cautious so we are pretty much staying home. Fortunately we are retired and have a good stock of the necessities.

Hope everybody else is taking appropriate precautions.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:37 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I saw this posted this morning and thought it was a really good analogy for those that continue to be in the "it'a an overblown hoax" camp:

Coronavirus Analogy.jpg
Coronavirus Analogy.jpg (49.98 KiB) Viewed 4053 times

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:46 pm
DaveL17 offline

We are healthy here.

In Illinois, we're still in the 21-50 confirmed cases range (according to the Centers for Disease Control). The governor has temporarily closed all K-12 schools and state universities have all but closed for the semester (online only the rest of the way). My younger sister is a 7th grade teacher and expects to go back in April some time. Museums are closed. Theaters are restricting to 50 percent capacity. All large group events are cancelled by emergency declaration.

The big news here is the customs lines at O'Hare airport. Six to seven hour waits to clear customs and screening. All the people crammed into tight spaces waiting to be cleared is likely going to result in a big jump in confirmed cases. I was at the store on Friday to stock up on essentials. Paper products were all but sold out. Didn't look for hand sanitizer since we have enough and CDC is saying that soap is more effective anyway. I didn't spot a single person hoarding and everyone was patient and pleasant. We're choosing to stay close to home for now, with forays limited to necessities.

We live in a rural area and expect (at the risk of being provincial) that local incidence will be low.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:02 pm
durosity offline

I’ve been singing happy birthday every time I was my hands.. so I’m totally safe.

In my area not much has been reported at all. A church near here was contaminated and has been quarantined.. but afaik that’s it. My work is expecting us in the office tomorrow but based on fridays turn out I imagine most will be working from home under the guise of self isolation.. but I don’t blame them. I guess we’ll see what happens.

Atleast my brethren up north have been stock piling the essentials... Image

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:09 pm
kw123 offline

looking at the economic impact:

Here in Dallas the restaurants are filled less than half of what they normally are
Hotels are empty, flights are empty, Disney is closed...

The folks that work in these areas will not buy a new car, buy a new house, rather reduce spending to absolute minimum

The Hotel etc owners can not cover their debt payments after 2 month w/o revenue ...

And Europe is even worse , almost total shutdown

And to me at least, I have no clue why don't we test folks? You can buy the machines that do this.
We don't know how many have it, carry it w/o symptoms . South Korea does 12,000 tests a day, the CDC can do ~ 100 / day

As I am a half empty guy this does not look better than 2008.

Depressed Karl

Posted on
Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:17 pm
kw123 offline

Posted on
Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:20 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Another video from Italy that is uplifting (although there is debate the video might be old):

https://twitter.com/girlsreallyrule/sta ... 2867461123

Posted on
Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:15 am
DaveL17 offline

Illinois has now closed all bars and restaurants for dining. Delivery, drive-through and curbside pickup still allowed (presumably not drive-through and curbside for bars). Confirmed cases have risen to 93.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:08 pm
roquej offline

Of the three counties in South Florida (Miami- Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach), Broward is the worst hit. Just yesterday, 100 new cases were reported.

I live in Miami and our mayor tested positive after meeting with folks from Brazil. With the larger older population, it could be really bad for us.

The frustrating part is that, up to now, most infections are travel related. Yesterday, in FLL, the beach was packed with folks on spring break. Very irresponsible. Today, all the beaches in FLL and South Beach are closed.

When will folks understand that although the symptoms could be milder for them, you could give it to someone that could die. Serious?!

JP

Posted on
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:06 pm
mundmc offline

Reporting in from Criminal and Supreme Court here in lovely Chinatown, Manhattan. The train commute from NJ was definitely consistent with “social distancing.”

I’m a doctor working for NYC, albeit through the Dept of Corrections and for the courts. Updates change by the hour. Most of the courts are shutting down to some degree, but obviously Rikers Island and the hospitals (all run by the city) are preparing for the worst. I think a pseudo-curfew rolled out a couple hours ago, but i expect to be exempt. I am very much hoping I don’t get deployed somewhere, but I am anticipating it.

I’m glad I can monitor my house from here :)

This train is usually packed:

This is the courthouse post-Weinstein verdict:

This is some of my travel gear ;)

Stay safe everybody!