Covid-19 Community Check In

Forum rules

No spam or trolling allowed -- please keep topics and posts respectful.

Posted on
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:59 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: Covid-19 Community Check In

Mark - thank you for all that you do (and all in the medical field and first responders). I am grateful and humbled.

Please be safe..

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:08 am
kw123 offline

And the scary thing is that we can’t go back to normal when the first wave is over.
At least some level of distancing will be with us until we have a vaccine or an antiviral drug
I guess 6-12 months.
Karl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:40 am
kw123 offline

woke up from a bad dream.

I had a plugin with a corona deviceTypeId , that simply did not behave :(

Karl

Posted on
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:46 pm
mundmc offline

Reporting in from NYC/ Bellevue Hospital/ the courts.

Our sister-hospital, Elmhurst Hospital in Queens, is getting hit very badly. It’s getting quite real and no longer hypothetical.

I laughed at it originally, but my 3d printer is now making respirators around the clock. Rikers is releasing low-level charged detainees, which, while humane, typically releases homeless people to shelters and warm mass-transit stations which are questionably less at risk than a jail.

If I didn’t have kids, and if my wife wasn’t out of work, I would be responding to the calls of all-available-doctors.

Thing is- if I get sick or my doctors get sick, we can’t evaluate prisoners for transfer OFF Rikers Island.

It’s bad, and I’m not prone to hyperbole.

Up shot- in my downtime remote-working I got the Alexa Command SSMS stuff working. Pyrrhic victory but I’ll take it. ;)

Posted on
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:53 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Thanks for the report and stay safe! Our county (and suburb city) have been dragging their feet compared to all the other counties around us with a very weak stay-at-home order. I'm afraid that is going to come back to bite our community hospitals in a couple of weeks.

Posted on
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:16 am
yassi offline

Reporting from Germany. Everything’s closed, only doctors, pharmacists, groceries, gas stations open.
Doing HomeOffice (whole company, IT) since two weeks.

Stay safe guys and take care of you.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:12 pm
kw123 offline

The scary graph:
Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 22.01.18.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 22.01.18.png (52.03 KiB) Viewed 3287 times
from https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
it took the US ~ 10 days to go from 100 to 1000 death, and curve is not bending (yet).
That simply means we will be at 10k death in 10days and 100k death in 20 days ..

We really need to get our act together

Isolation and TESTING TESTING TESTING

Even when we slow down the curve to zero we need real testing afterwards. The virus will still be among us. Test everyone ( should be as easy as glucose test) & real isolation for those that are infected -- including all contact persons. Don't send them home. They have to be in complete isolation too.

It can be done: Korea has shown it. They could test everyone in February and they do strict isolation. We still can not do it today.

Going to bed now, don't know if I can sleep

Karl

Posted on
Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:19 am
akimball offline

People here in Salt Lake City area are complying with physical distancing so far. The local mega giant, the LDS Church is leading the way with the current President of the faith an actual heart surgeon; lots of guidance going out a couple times per week from church leadership, and bishops and members assigned to watch over everyone...safely.

The state of Utah had 480 cases as of 3/27 with 2 deaths, one 55 and the other about 62, both with other conditions. The mayors of both Salt Lake County and Salt Lake City are threatening draconian lockdown measures with arrests possible, but so far have not gone that far.

My spouse works as staff for University of Utah Hospital...she works at home for last 2 weeks, she is 65. Several of my 7 children are laid off being waiters/waitresses, but each have at least one family member working still. All 22 grandkids are not in school for previous 2 weeks.

I’m 64 and continue working. As an electrical engineer I work for an aerospace defense contractor and my job is related to national defense. Due to the threats of our local mayors to make arrests if caught driving to the office, I’ve been issued letters from the Department of Homeland Security and also from our corporate legal office giving me permission to drive to work and back. LOL, mayors! I guess they do what they must do and yeah it’s hard getting graduating 18 year olds to grow up so fast. They have so much energy.

My 89 year old dad and his new wife are great. Our only family concern is my wife’s 93 year old Mother who is in total lockdown in the memory-care unit up the street. She’s not doing well, is dying, from dementia, not cv19, but no family is allowed to visit. At all. No exceptions. They are terrified of losing everyone in the entire facility. Needless to say, this is extreme hardship for my beautiful wife, to be kept from her dying mother. They say they may allow a visit tomorrow but permissions haven’t come yet.

Please everyone stay safe.

-Al

Posted on
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:11 am
jalves offline

Reporting in from the Theme Park Capital of the World (central FL, about 2 miles from the Magic Kingdom), being retired this whole stay at home thing isn't difficult for us. We do that regularly anyway. But getting out to buy the necessities does involve some obstacles. Fortunately, the local Publix supermarkets have implemented special hours for seniors on Tuesdays and Wednesday mornings. Previously we would shop 2-3 times a week. Now we are consolidating to once a week.

Last week it was a bit grim with lots of empty shelves in the store. Hoping for better stock this week. We are actually pretty well stocked on the necessities, but sometimes its nice to get fresh stuff.

Hang in there everybody!

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:57 am
kw123 offline

There are some initiative to help people at risk -shopping etc- and they are asking for volunteers. Thinking about volunteering until you realize you are in that risk group.

Karl

Posted on
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:58 am
rehafer offline

I live in a small city in Missouri, only 55 cases in our county. We are under stay-at-home order.
I lease buildings to a few small businesses and I’m concerned them. Mom and I are doing fine if a little stir crazy. We’re hoping that ours will be one of the first areas to go back to work.

Posted on
Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:01 pm
akimball offline

rehafer wrote:
We’re hoping that ours will be one of the first areas to go back to work.

I hope you’re right. Small business is going to be hurt the worst.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

-Al

Posted on
Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:20 am
sarahcat offline

My work in central Illinois has been remote for almost 3 weeks. The local police scanner online indicates that people are already losing their minds, i.e. domestic violence, children threatening to stab parents, people found dead of ?, people alive but unresponsive. I don't think we've hit the peak of insanity yet, which could result in more casualties that Covid-19. The police calls are way up. Too much contact with each other. In my house, we're always rather insular, so we're pretty much status quo and we like each other.

Posted on
Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:07 pm
durosity offline

Yeah.. I’m now in my third week of working from home and it is starting to grind a bit.

I do worry about people trapped at home who are subject to abuse and have absolutely no escape from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:13 pm
akimball offline

I too have heard of people whose situations have become intolerable. What I’ve noticed in my own case is that this has brought us all a little closer together. We’ve had time to exercise, sleep, work, and do some of those things we ever had time to do until now. I wish that experience on all.

-Al